Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat Dreams

Any boat that not only survived the '79 Fastnet but actually did well can be regarded as seaworthy I'd say. You're unlikely to ever run into survival conditions like that if you pay attention to weather forecasts.

That said, not what I'd regard as a world cruiser. Sure would be fun around here on a summer day though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I've raced on a number of IOR One-tonners like Police Car, and they were all very challenging to race with a full crew. Would I want to sail one of those "Broach Coaches" around the world short handed? No Thanks! You've got bigger balls than I!

Good luck!
Actually, many of the IOR era boats make pretty good fast cruisers and particularly the "two ton" boats. For example, take a look at the Serendipity 43, Wings. Similarly, our own boat, a First 42, was also originally designed as a fast (IOR) Racer/Cruiser. She is very fast, even with just my wife and I managing her; and, she is a very comfortable cruiser as well.

With a little work, Police Car might serve quite "admirably" as a fast cruiser.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-03-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Actually, many of the IOR era boats make pretty good fast cruisers and particularly the "two ton" boats. For example, take a look at the Serendipity 43, Wings. Similarly, our own boat, a First 42, was also originally designed as a fast (IOR) Racer/Cruiser. She is very fast, even with just my wife and I managing her; and, she is a very comfortable cruiser as well.

With a little work, Police Car might serve quite "admirably" as a fast cruiser.
I agree, many of the IOR Racer/Cruisers can make great performance cruisers. My boat is an old Half-Tonner, and like your boat, they were designed and built to be dual purpose boats. I remember a particular Davidson designed One Tonner I raced against back in the day that was and probably still is a beautiful cruising boat complete with teak decks and a nice interior. Of course it was no match for the full race IOR boats I was racing on that only had the bare necessities down below...pipe berths, a porta pottie, and structural bracing crisscrossing the interior!

The biggest problem with converting a full-on racing IOR boat is not so much putting the interior into them, although that in itself is more than a little work. It is also the rig. They had massive sailplans and very tall noodles for masts. Even if you ran smaller sails you are still dealing with a mast that requires running backstays and check stays just to keep the mast from folding in half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done, but one shouldn't under estimate the amount of time and money it would take to convert one of those old war horses.
Hull#101
Old 01-04-2014

the-zak is on a distinguished road

I hear you SchockT, there is plenty work..

I liked that: old war horse...she certainly feels like that sometimes!

The interior I'm not too concerned about, it's actually really good..being alloy it's really simple to add 'bulk heads' etc etc...that's just time and effort...I have that.

As you say the bigger issue is the rig...the HUGE mainsail...hard to handle with just two poeple on the boat, though it's been done. Along with the boat came an older dacron main, it's a bit smaller, more manageable. In fact if it where just a little smaller, along with the boom being just that bit shorter it could all run under the backstays...so far this is my plan, that and a furling headsail and I'm thinking it will be ok...

She is a great boat, an absolute blast to sail in her original configuration...and she fly's, especially off the wind. She needs a new life now though, no longer competitive to race and far too 'racy' to cruise about on....

The time and money thing...I guess it's a matter of expectation you know...so long as there is a comfortable place to sleep ( instead of an old pipe birth ) and a warm shower at the end of it I find I can put up with lots

Last edited by the-zak; 01-04-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2014

I put together this facebook page. Would be great to hear some stories or see some photos from the old days...

facebook.com/policecaryacht

She's well known the old girl, would seem a shame to loose that history....Maybe a good sailing school boat or just simply taking people out for a days sailing....anybody here got any experience setting up that sort of buisiness...how hard is it really?

Last edited by the-zak; 01-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Cool boat. I love seeing photos of the old IOR tubs with their crazy flying sails and exaggerated rule beating shapes. That is how I always picture yacht racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2014

For sure PaulinVictoria. I like the volvo races too...Found any IOR sites in particular?
Old 01-08-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Nope, there was a great thread over on SA with some really cool IOR boat photos though.

Old 01-08-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

There's this;

RB Sailing

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-08-2014

Some goold old video's there...

Tags
dreams , for sale , project