Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014

the-zak is on a distinguished road
Boat Dreams

Dreamt of sailing the world, on your own boat....yeh, me too.

I have the boat. A classic late 70's racing yacht, Police Car: Google - "RB Sailing Police Car" for photos and a blog detailing the boats history..

On offer is an opportunity to buy a share in the boat and join the project of cleaning and preparing the old girl before setting off to make that dream a reality.

So, if you've got a bit of time or money, an offer or an idea I'd love to hear it...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014

Re: Boat Dreams

I could have said, the boat is in Port Macquarie, 4 hours north of Sydney.
Old 01-03-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I've raced on a number of IOR One-tonners like Police Car, and they were all very challenging to race with a full crew. Would I want to sail one of those "Broach Coaches" around the world short handed? No Thanks! You've got bigger balls than I!

Good luck!
capta likes this.
Hull#101
Old 01-03-2014

She will go most anywhere in anything...and still quickly too, but your right, it will be wet...as you know, such boats can be tough - it's 'real' sailing

Nah, seriously, your right of course. The racing is tough. She was always much better behaved on the return trips I did...adding some comfort below decks should make it easily bearable...

Last edited by the-zak; 01-03-2014 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added paragraph
Old 01-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-zak View Post

I have the boat. A classic late 70's racing yacht, Police Car: Google - "RB Sailing Police Car" for photos and a blog detailing the boats history..

On offer is an opportunity to buy a share in the boat and join the project of cleaning and preparing the old girl before setting off to make that dream a reality.

So, if you've got a bit of time or money, an offer or an idea I'd love to hear it...
Was this the "Police Car" that was part of the Ozzie Admirals Cup team during the '79 Fastnet? If so, I seem to recall she was knocked down to 120º or better a quarter-dozen times or more during that race, No? Uncomfortable as hell at sea if I recall correctly, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-03-2014

Thats the one. Finished 4th. I very much doubt comfort was foremost on anybody's mind during the 79' fastnet.

Last edited by the-zak; 01-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Thats the one. Finished 4th. I very much doubt comfort was anybody's mind during the 79' fastnet.
No doubt, at least not after Bishop Rock. I was thinking of the ride from Portland Bill to the Bishop, however. N'any case, good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-03-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You mean this one?

RB Sailing: Police Car (Dubois 42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Was this the "Police Car" that was part of the Ozzie Admirals Cup team during the '79 Fastnet? If so, I seem to recall she was knocked down to 120º or better a quarter-dozen times or more during that race, No? Uncomfortable as hell at sea if I recall correctly, eh?
If she was knocked down several times to 120º several and always come back that says well of the boat. On that race there were lots of boats that would not come back from a 110º knock down and would be rolled.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-03-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2014

That's the one I suggested googling about in the original post. I can't post links unfortunatly.

She is a tuff old bird, loves a blow. Shame to see her as she is, needing a mission!
Old 01-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

If she was knocked down several times to 120º several and always come back that says well of the boat. On that race there were lots of boats that would not come back from a 110º knock down and would be rolled.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,

In addition to handsome, Police Car was an exceptionally fast yacht for her (IOR) Rating and was already around Fastnet and headed home with several of the much larger yachts (e.g.Tenacious) by the time the worst of the storm hit (estimated at Force 11-12 or better by many of the crews) though she sailed through the height of it. The yacht was exceptionally strong, and well handled in the event but (then) rather notably short on creature comforts. (FWIW, over 48% of the fleet reported knock downs to 90º or more and, if I recall, 38 or more were completely rolled, 20+ of which were subsequently abandoned--out of a total of 24 abandonment's--tho' all but one was later recovered. If you recall, 5 yachts were sunk).

N'any case, she'd no doubt be a fun yacht to sail.

Tags
dreams , for sale , project