Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Books on the sailboat - a good idea?

Same here.. we've gone Kobo but still kind of prefer to hold a real book....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
So I have a whole mass of books that I want to put on the boat. Paperback and hardback. But I was wondering if this a good idea? I mean, won't all the moisture that's around the boat at port ruin the books. And what if you're sea and somehow water gets below deck...that could be a problem too.
Load and remove, load and remove. I do the same thing with GPS, radios, and other handheld electronics. There is no reason to store them on the boat.
Old 01-04-2014

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I've gone the way of the Kindle for general reading, slowly getting rid of my paperbacks at my favorite bars (which all have a trade-and-exchange type of library) her in the Caribbean. The only exception is my good book collection - the Encyclopaedia Britannica "Great Books" that come with a 10-year reading plan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

At last count we had nearly 100 books aboard between the bookshelves in our aft quarter-cabin, the salon and the master cabin plus a ton of reference books, cruising guides, navigation tables (HO229) etc. at the navigation table and we've had no problems. We prefer real books as once we've gone through them, we can trade them and many clubs and cruising destinations have book-exchange libraries as well. FWIW we have a bunch of silica-gel desiccant packs and keep a few behind the books on each shelf. When they turn pink, we dry them in a warm oven (150º) for an hour or so and restore their usefulness and so have never had a problem. For longer term storage, stick them in gallon zip-locks with a desiccant pack and they'll last almost forever. There may be something to be said for "electronic" books but I haven't figured out what it is and they are worthless when the power goes down or if one needs an emergency supply of toilet paper.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-05-2014
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
We have reference books on board and each has its own plastic bag and never come up on deck unless at anchor. Lots of novels for when underway and for swapping. Novels tend when underway can and regularly get wet once this happens thay never go back on thr book shelf as they don't ever dry out.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-05-2014
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
We do audible.com which is kinda nice; We're able to keep at least a hundred books and they're easy to get too. Another nice thing is you can jack into the aux input and have it play threw the boats system

It's an option
Sounds like a good idea and option in addition to books,
Old 01-05-2014
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I don't need books... the voices in my head are entertaining enough.
Yes, yes I've never been able to stop the voices for very long, every now and then the small piece of tinfoil I wear inside my hat blocks them tho, I keep it there mainly to defeat government tracking systems.
Old 01-05-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I don't want the space loss nor the weight gain with paper books, and I also don't want to deal with yet another electronic device. Therefore, I installed the !FREE! Kindle app on both my iPhone and my laptop. There are beaucoup free e-books (all the classics) available at gutenberg.org, and quite a few free books in the Amazon Kindle Store.

I can keep e-books in The Cloud and download them with whatever device I have to hand and they sync up from one device to the other. I also keep technical PDF files (ex. manuals) within the Kindle app so I don't have to bother with Internet links for things I frequently reference.

I'm diggin' the technology, me
Old 01-07-2014

nighthawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I've gone the way of the Kindle for general reading, slowly getting rid of my paperbacks at my favorite bars (which all have a trade-and-exchange type of library) her in the Caribbean. The only exception is my good book collection - the Encyclopaedia Britannica "Great Books" that come with a 10-year reading plan

By the appearance of the plastic, your adherence to the reading plan is going about as well as mine is. These books have been a constant in my home since we bought the encyclopedias for my daughter over twenty years ago ans I think so far I have gotten through about 7 of them. Wanna race to the end?

Visit my blog--

~~When you decide to become a sailor, you start with a full barrel of luck and an empty cup of experience. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry.~~
Old 01-07-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
So I have a whole mass of books that I want to put on the boat. Paperback and hardback. But I was wondering if this a good idea? I mean, won't all the moisture that's around the boat at port ruin the books. And what if you're sea and somehow water gets below deck...that could be a problem too.
At anchor they should be fine. Before going offshore, wrap them all in zip-locks. When you are done, take all the zip-locks and put them in one bag for next time. If you boat is fiberglass, water will get below deck eventually.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Tags
books