Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell Me Your Best Sea Story.

A powerboat story of a different type.

Back in the early 70s when my Father left the Navy, he was the engineer aboard the "flying saucer" a converted Elco PT boat that could seat 90 people for the ride of their life.

She was docked at "chris' restaurant" and did daily trips out of the Great Egg Harbor Inlet, down the coast of Ocean City NJ, and back. Would take about 90 minutes when you consider she to idle out into the ocean by Coast Guard Rules and idle back in.

The Saucer had always been "bothered" by smaller powerboats. The Donzis and Cigarettes were just becoming popular and they used to love to get as close as they could to the big old PT boat. Chris had just cracked the three throttles forward and the Nose was rising as she began to put on speed for another simple run down the beach when A cigarette cut in front of her forcing Chris to pull back and drop the Saucer back to idle.

Pissed off, he jammed all three throttles to the deck, the Saucer's stern dropped like a rock, wiggling and churning up sand off of the bottom before the boat literally jumped out of the water and onto a plane.

The trip took 50 minutes that day as Chris never let up on the throttles until he reached the bridge again... sadly. that was the last commercial Trip for the saucer as the old girl split her inner hull from the outer.

I was there when I happened, but I was so young I do not remember it. My favourite place was on the last row of seats by the stern. Mom told me that we got completely soaked that run and I loved every minute of it.

davidpm and trav365plus like this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mad_machine; 01-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014

trav365plus is on a distinguished road

Really love the B/W pic.
Old 01-04-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road

So I bought this boat sunk at the dock.

I knew nothing about boats except the ra, ra stuff I had read in Wooden Boat Magazine.

After I got it floating even though it was leaking a lot I had to get it to a shipyard to haul it so I could get to work.
I found out that no one with any sense would come near this boat considering its age and condition.

Their was this young fellow who hung out on his grandmothers lawn in a tent drinking and partying all summer with his buddies.

I offered to buy him a keg if he would borrow his dads boat and tow me about 20 miles up the long island sound.

The day we picked was dead calm not a ripple on the water.
The tiny maybe 18' center console boat was able to tow my big boat with a heavy lead keel and iron rigging with no problem until we got to about 100' from the destination.

The wind picked up to a decidedly uncomfortable 7 knots. With that much wind the powerboat was helpless moving the schooner.

After some hectic minutes of racing the engine and fishtailing we got the boat secured.

I didn't know how lucky I was until years later.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-04-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
So I bought this boat sunk at the dock.

I knew nothing about boats except the ra, ra stuff I had read in Wooden Boat Magazine.
Absolutely beautiful boat!!

As much as I fear wood boats, that one might have even tempted me.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -