Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1885Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Mike, Don't underestimate climate differences. You sail in a temperate zone in cold water. I'll wager that your warmest water temp is about equal to our coldest. Visualize hurled peas, no not that, but water temp of 85-90 degrees air temp of 90-100+ and the sun blazing away making the decks to hot for bare feet. Everything will wilt, melt or grow green fuzz/slime. You will be hard pressed to go six to eight weeks and have some fresh food - salad, eggs, milk, meat without a frig. True our forefathers did it, but they carried chickens, goats and pigs to milk, collect eggs or slaughter along the way. They ate weevils, suffered from scurvy, had salt boils all over their bodies and died an early death, or escaped to someplace they could bury the anchor and not worry about getting pressed into sea service again.
Some people talk about unsightly solar collectors on a boat, but look at some of the shade systems employed to protect from the tropical sun, just as unsightly in my opinion.
And finally, there is something really elegant about harnessing the wind and sun to power a really enjoyable "off the grid" experience be it on a sailboat or a backwoods cabin. But remember, "form follows function".
John
Bene505 and guitarguy56 like this.

Last edited by ccriders; 02-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

100 page mark!
mrhoneydew likes this.
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Exactly and I also am looking at a low voltage thermosta to keep the temp in the upper thirtys in the fridge so I'm estimating on a twenty four hour time frame. And approximately fifteen percent duty cycle ie: 10 min on per hour
I might even look at getting one of these 40 qt Colemans and remove the plastic outer layer and canibalize it and insert it into one of the cabinets... I already have a small peltier cooled refrig you can buy on g-bay that actually looks like a small refrig... but bulky for use on the boat.
Old 02-13-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My fridge stays at 45 degrees and keeps food and vegetables forever. Any setting lower than that consumes a lot more battery. And, 45 degree beer is perfect when it's 95 degrees in the shade.

Gary
Old 02-13-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Mike, Don't underestimate climate differences. You sail in a temperate zone in cold water. I'll wager that your warmest water temp is about equal to our coldest. Visualize hurled peas, no not that, but water temp of 85-90 degrees air temp of 90-100+ and the sun blazing away making the decks to hot for bare feet. Everything will wilt, melt or grow green fuzz/slime. You will be hard pressed to go six to eight weeks and have some fresh food - salad, eggs, milk, meat without a frig.
It's a good point John. My current cruising ground is quite cool most of the time. I am going to learn a lot as we head south. That said, most of the items you list do not make it on my current fresh food supply list. You list the ones I mostly exclude. Lettuce doesn't keep at all, but cabbage is a great substitute for that. Eggs, as has been pointed out, keep very well without cooling. You have to get them fresh, and outside the supermarket system. Powdered whole egg is also pretty good. Fresh milk and related products are off the list, as is large supplies of fresh meat. But powdered milk is very fine, as is canned and packaged coconut milk (a must for curries). Hard cheeses last a long time without refrigeration.

All I'm saying is that there are lots of food options for those who don't want a fridge. And when I talk about our fore fathers, I'm referring to cruisers in the 60s, 70s and 80s, not the days of old. I've also read that even today you'll find a much higher proportion of North American boats with fridge/freezers than our European cousins.
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
100 page mark!
Cool what ya got for the thousand post point
And that would work however I am just going to modify my existing ice box by adding the unit between the outer wall and the hull on my lil boat that would put it below the waterline and immersing a heatsink in a tank of water secured to the hull should do good for my application. Also the bigger peltier units are under 40 on eBay so why spend a hundred or more just to canabalise regular ice chests like that can be had for under twenty bucks here at garage sales in the spring as people buy the latest and greatest thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I had a freezer aboard, ran off solar /battery. we would freeze gallons of milk and thaw in refrigerator, we really like milk.
Old 02-13-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The only time I had milk in the fridge was when I had someone onboard that insisted on having cereal for breakfast. I used Creamora for my coffee, and substituted beer for milk in most recipes. Beer pancakes are the absolute best - and don't knock them till you try them.

Gary
MikeOReilly and guitarguy56 like this.
Old 02-13-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
100 page mark!
Shoot! You beat me to the punch.

Nonetheless, this calls for some kind of celebration... think I'll step to the fridge and grab a cold beer. (that fits the current vein of conversation, right?) I'm not currently on my boat, but I'm thinking about my boat. That counts?
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
Shoot! You beat me to the punch.

Nonetheless, this calls for some kind of celebration... think I'll step to the fridge and grab a cold beer. (that fits the current vein of conversation, right?) I'm not currently on my boat, but I'm thinking about my boat. That counts?
In the winter yep thinking about your boat counts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.