Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1664Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
In the winter yep thinking about your boat counts
You get the Pink Cadillac prize for the 1000'th post!
newhaul and PNWvagabond like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Good People,
Mike suggested it earlier on re provisioning but do you think there is reason to hive this off into three threads ? This one remains plus provisioning (budget related ?) and refrigeration.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-13-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

You guys have got me thinking about using a Peltier device for a fridge. I love the idea of it being solid state, indestructible and silent, even if it uses a few more amps. With the money saved I can build a better box and add another panel. I currently have a propane fridge that works fine but will need to be replaced soon. I was thinking of going with the Engel drop-in fridge, but now I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a Peltier fridge. I can buy the Peltier devices on my next trip abroad and make the box here with local material. Does anyone have a good link to a site on howto build a fridge? I found this one on the web, but I'm looking for something a bit more detailed.

How to build your own dirt cheap fridge
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Good People,
Mike suggested it earlier on re provisioning but do you think there is reason to hive this off into three threads ? This one remains plus provisioning (budget related ?) and refrigeration.
I tink that would be a good idea the current thread on provisioning is rather old so a new one may be in order and the peltier refer ideas warrant it also in my opinion
copacabana likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Sounds good. Anyone else ?

Let me know if you'd prefer to just start up a couple of new threads or copy some posts across.

I'm not here much today but could get it done over the weekend.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Let me know if you'd prefer to just start up a couple of new threads or copy some posts across.

For the peltier units would be good to transfer posts from here for continuity
Don't know about the provisioning it is fine here in keeping with the spirit of the thread frugal provisioning is part of cheap voyaging and cruising .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:

Great idea... I mentioned starting a new thread a while back on the refrig stuff but seen someone already posted a thread on the isotherm refrig... didn't want to bust that one up with peltier stuff.
Old 02-13-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Great idea... I mentioned starting a new thread a while back on the refrig stuff but seen someone already posted a thread on the isotherm refrig... didn't want to bust that one up with peltier stuff.
I'm thinking the Peltier stuff deserves its own thread.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to tdw For This Useful Post:
guitarguy56 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Until it's a new thread....

The thing that bothers me about the peltier units is that there is no (zero, zilch, nada) insulation where the unit itself sits. Anyone who has forgotten a glove on a winter day (or who forgot a hat perhaps) knows that an uninsulated area will have a drastic effect. For a fridge or freezer, all the heat leaks in right there, nullifying all that great foam insulation everywhere else.

We have an insulated freezer with 2 inches of foam, judging from the "core sample" I got when I ran new refrigerant pipes. Then I put 2 inches of foam inside the freezer on all sides, including the top -- it has a hatch under the normal hatch. By piping-in the cold, I know the while thing is insulated without a big exposure where the peltier unit is.

Ours runs at 2.5 amps (Danfoss 50 on low power setting, measured via Victron battery monitor*). It runs maybe 1/6th the time, maybe less. That's in 80 degree summers, in 74 degree water. And that is for ice cream temps of 20 degrees F, not the much easier ice temp of 32 degrees. (Ice cream is runny until about 22 degrees.) Freezer isn't huge but the overflow goes to a huge fridge, and it's keeping the fridge at a good fridge temperature too.

There's nothing like reaching into your freezer and taking out a 1/2 gallon of Bryers, while hearing the crackle of the truly cold inside of the freezer, and doing it on a hot day. Yes I started putting frosted glasses in there too.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason the peltier units run so much is because of the big square hole in the insulation. I'lll keep my Danfoss 50

Regards,
Brad
P.S. I can only hear the fan - no compressor noise if you don't mount it sideways like the first time I mounted it.
P.P.S I own a peltier "dorm room" fridge, got it like-new at a yard sale for $15. It doesn't do cold very well.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Until it's a new thread....

The thing that bothers me about the peltier units is that there is no (zero, zilch, nada) insulation where the unit itself sits. Anyone who has forgotten a glove on a winter day (or who forgot a hat perhaps) knows that an uninsulated area will have a drastic effect. For a fridge or freezer, all the heat leaks in right there, nullifying all that great foam insulation everywhere else.

We have an insulated freezer with 2 inches of foam, judging from the "core sample" I got when I ran new refrigerant pipes. Then I put 2 inches of foam inside the freezer on all sides, including the top -- it has a hatch under the normal hatch. By piping-in the cold, I know the while thing is insulated without a big exposure where the peltier unit is.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason the peltier units run so much is because of the big square hole in the insulation. I'lll keep my Danfoss 50

Regards,
Brad
P.S. I can only hear the fan - no compressor noise if you don't mount it sideways like the first time I mounted it.
P.P.S I own a peltier "dorm room" fridge, got it like-new at a yard sale for $15. It doesn't do cold very well.
I think the problem is you're seeing someone else's design... they installed a heat sink on the cold side and it's in the actual compartment... if I built mine it would be an aluminum or stainless steel box, would be entirely without an opening other than the lid/door... the peltier units would be thermally bonded to the outside of the aluminum/stainless steel on several sides and bottom of the box... now the entire box would be insulated with 2-3 inches of foam... no different than any other refrig... the only thing you'd see coming out of the foam would be the in/out tubes for the water cooling and the electrical lines... now place this entire box into the cabinet that is lined with 2 inch foam... that would be the basis for my cooler besides the thermo switch.

Agree nothing better than opening the cooler in 90 deg temps and pulling out some nice frozen treat... whether by peltier or Danfoss.

Yes the dorm frig runs on ambient air... 70 deg the room ... 40 in the frig... 50 deg in the room 10 deg in the frig... that is the idea of running cool water to the hot side of the peltier... feel the heat off the fan in the back...
Bene505 likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.