Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
My fridge is about beer and wine, not food
The higher a priority you give booze, the less likely you will be to be able to cruise on less than $500 a month. Cruising on less than $500 a month is no problem; cruising on less than $500 a month, while making booze a high priority, is not. Add the cost of running , buying and maintaining refrigeration to the cost of booze, and you have one very significant expense. Stop drinking, and you may find, as I have, that the added cruising time ,and the reduction in working time to pay for it , gives far greater enjoyment than simply dulling the senses with alcohol ever gave you.
If you need to dull the senses to escape reality , changing your reality works better.
Bene505, aeaston, RoryP23 and 1 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Brent Swain For This Useful Post:
RoryP23 (03-10-2014)
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

GG,

If I did peltier, I'd put one going to the fridge. Then I'd put one between the fridge and the freezer. So the freezer's peltier "pushes off" the fridge temperature and the fridge's peltier "pushes off" the outside temperature (water or whatever).

But it would have to be something active like your antifreeze flow, so there's 100% insulation everywhere.

Regards,
Brad

And if I ever commission a boat to be built for me, I'm showing up at the factory with some Aerogel (even the lower R mesh type), some sheets of hydrophobic foam, and a hard hat. We're doing that fridge and freezer right.
guitarguy56 likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 02-13-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Good People,
Mike suggested it earlier on re provisioning but do you think there is reason to hive this off into three threads ? This one remains plus provisioning (budget related ?) and refrigeration.
I think that if it goes over into a new thread , a " Credit" should post from this one ? or when you enter this $500 dollar thread it should give you a reference
Just a Thought .
I am happy enough. I think however it can benefit the maximum amount of people is what we should do
Regards , Lou
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The higher a priority you give booze, the less likely you will be to be able to cruise on less than $500 a month. Cruising on less than $500 a month is no problem; cruising on less than $500 a month, while making booze a high priority, is not. Add the cost of running , buying and maintaining refrigeration to the cost of booze, and you have one very significant expense. Stop drinking, and you may find, as I have, that the added cruising time ,and the reduction in working time to pay for it , gives far greater enjoyment than simply dulling the senses with alcohol ever gave you.
If you need to dull the senses to escape reality , changing your reality works better.
+1 Especially from my flying days. Decending into a new town, looking at the lay of the land, buildings, life, etc., that beats even a cold beer. And the two (flying and drinking) don't mix at all.

Got the first-ish ice cream cones of the season on Tangier Island that way, with my girlfriend. Flew south to warmer weather and got a beach day in early spring. Got the last-ish cones at the same spot that fall. (Yes, married her.)

Regards,
Brad
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
GG,

If I did peltier, I'd put one going to the fridge. Then I'd put one between the fridge and the freezer. So the freezer's peltier "pushes off" the fridge temperature and the fridge's peltier "pushes off" the outside temperature (water or whatever).

But it would have to be something active like your antifreeze flow, so there's 100% insulation everywhere.

Regards,
Brad

And if I ever commission a boat to be built for me, I'm showing up at the factory with some Aerogel (even the lower R mesh type), some sheets of hydrophobic foam, and a hard hat. We're doing that fridge and freezer right.
Agree... the heat transfer and removal will be the biggest obstacles especially when in the hot Caribbean waters of 80 deg or more since this will be the draw of your water intake. Antifreeze would work but you'd have to dump 30-40 degrees of heat somewhere... a radiator? That would heat up the cabin... got to look at other alternatives... electro-chemical conversion to remove the heat.. opposite of a resistor if you catch my drift. I do like the Danfoss 40 specs and downloaded the pdf so I can compare... it's a small unit and might also look at this if it is reliable in the 5-10 years span... maybe use both?
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Agree... the heat transfer and removal will be the biggest obstacles especially when in the hot Caribbean waters of 80 deg or more since this will be the draw of your water intake. Antifreeze would work but you'd have to dump 30-40 degrees of heat somewhere... a radiator? That would heat up the cabin... got to look at other alternatives... electro-chemical conversion to remove the heat.. opposite of a resistor if you catch my drift. I do like the Danfoss 40 specs and downloaded the pdf so I can compare... it's a small unit and might also look at this if it is reliable in the 5-10 years span... maybe use both?
Those "delivery water" (like Poland Spring) water coolers run off a similar compressor. If you find one, see if you can hear it. (You can't.)

They went one better and removed the fan. It's not needed since they spread-out the cooling. I have the fan blowing the heated air out a stern vent, so I'm not planning to do that.

Regards,
Brad
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Those "delivery water" (like Poland Spring) water coolers run off a similar compressor. If you find one, see if you can hear it. (You can't.)

They went one better and removed the fan. It's not needed since they spread-out the cooling. I have the fan blowing the heated air out a stern vent, so I'm not planning to do that.

Regards,
Brad
OK... I'll have to see the one at the office, I'm sure if the unit was in an insulated cabinet with rubber isolation on the feet it may be silent... but it's mechanical by nature and may fail at any minute.

I have a small cooler for my marine aquarium that is a refrigerated unit to keep the temps at a constant 78-80 deg due to the high temp lamps warming the top surface of the water... it sits under the tank cabinet but it's noisy and sometimes I just turn it off...one of these:

JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-13-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

I'd vote the keep all this in one thread. It's more fun that way.

Regards,
Brad
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
OK... I'll have to see the one at the office, I'm sure if the unit was in an insulated cabinet with rubber isolation on the feet it may be silent... but it's mechanical by nature and may fail at any minute.

I have a small cooler for my marine aquarium that is a refrigerated unit to keep the temps at a constant 78-80 deg due to the high temp lamps warming the top surface of the water... it sits under the tank cabinet but it's noisy and sometimes I just turn it off...one of these:

JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller
Looks like there's a similar type compressor in there.

See page 10 of the manual, here: http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/JB1113.pdf

But the fan is big and there's a water pump maybe. Stick a pen into the fan (to quiet it) and see if all the noise goes away... except for the pump noise. Not sure if you can turn the water pump off.

Best to just find a water cooler -- note that it needs to be a household cooler, not some industrial version that has a fan. Either way, you see it's the fan that make the noise. The compressor is really quiet.

Regards,
Brad
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Could always use a keel cooler like closed loop dry exhaust systems on powerboats may work well with antifreeze filled system
Marine Power Solutions - Marine diesel Engines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.