Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1664Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Dumb question.Have two frigiboat units both with keel coolers. How significant is ambient water temperature to ampH used? In short is it significant enough to be a major confounder to my energy budget?
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Looks like there's a similar type compressor in there.

See page 10 of the manual, here: http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/JB1113.pdf

But the fan is big and there's a water pump maybe. Stick a pen into the fan (to quiet it) and see if all the noise goes away... except for the pump noise. Not sure if you can turn the water pump off.

Best to just find a water cooler -- note that it needs to be a household cooler, not some industrial version that has a fan. Either way, you see it's the fan that make the noise. The compressor is really quiet.

Regards,
Brad
The smallest unit is the one I have, I've opened it up before so see the insides (engineer in me), there is no pump, the fan is I'm sure the noisy part since it's an induction motor, It could be replaced with one of the brush-less PC fans but that would void the warranty of the unit... you are right it does have a small compressor and the chiller is the cold unit with titanium tubes wrapped around the chiller... it's quite a simple setup if not for the electronics controller. I could try to find a used water cooler and cannibalize one but these run on 120 V so I'll have to stick to getting a 12 V version somewhere. Have you installed yours yet, any pics to show your installation?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Could always use a keel cooler like closed loop dry exhaust systems on powerboats may work well with antifreeze filled system
Marine Power Solutions - Marine diesel Engines

This would work and it does for cooling engines... and I'm sure it'll work for cooling the peltier... it's just complicating a simple solution of tapping raw seawater from a thru hull fitting and running it though the cooler and dumping the heated water... a small pump and several hoses are all that's needed.
Old 02-13-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Go deep ? Need to cool the peltier plate ? I am not sure how fast the water temperatures drop in large bodies of water the ocean or the tropics ? I know it is huge in most freshwater lakes. The surface temps might be around 75* and 30 foot down it might be 50*
I know on the runway in a small plane you can be cooking and if you climb you will cool off and can even chill.
Changing your altitude or depth changes the temp. It should be even more pronounced in water than the air.
What if your flexible cooling intake line was held deep by a weight say 30-40 feet Could an arrangement be made to make this siphon so a pump would only need to prime or start the cooling water circulation ? This would save power an have less pump noise. You could only use this at anchor
When a sail boat starts to move it's potential to generate power is on the rise and typical power demands should be lower than when at anchor.
More thoughts ?
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 02-13-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Looks like one will not see much of a water temp/depth drop in the tropics. Hot is hot and some like it hot.
Peace, Lou
Old 02-13-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
The smallest unit is the one I have, I've opened it up before so see the insides (engineer in me), there is no pump, the fan is I'm sure the noisy part since it's an induction motor, It could be replaced with one of the brush-less PC fans but that would void the warranty of the unit... you are right it does have a small compressor and the chiller is the cold unit with titanium tubes wrapped around the chiller... it's quite a simple setup if not for the electronics controller. I could try to find a used water cooler and cannibalize one but these run on 120 V so I'll have to stick to getting a 12 V version somewhere. Have you installed yours yet, any pics to show your installation?
Yes mine is installed. I ran the pipes a loooog ways to keep the noise down and the heat where I wanted to put it. Then I found out how quite these things are and the reason most people just use a bit if tubing to put the heat, say, under the galley sink.

I also ran tubing for a separate fridge compressor, but it turns out I don't need a separate compressor for the fridge.

The connectors were quite straightforward. SeaFrost sells them Staylok I think they are called.

Note sure if I have any pictures. I bought a couple TradeWinds systems off eBay. One of them had been submerged. (Couldn't tell which one.) I replaced the compressor after I ran it overcharged. (They need very little refrigerant.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 02-14-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This would work and it does for cooling engines... and I'm sure it'll work for cooling the peltier... it's just complicating a simple solution of tapping raw seawater from a thru hull fitting and running it though the cooler and dumping the heated water... a small pump and several hoses are all that's needed.
Yes it would but somewhere someone was looking for a way to do the cooling with a closed loop with antifreeze and wanted a way to get rid o the heat thru a fan and radiator this would be simple to do and lower on power used vice a radiator and fan
The engineer in me showing again

Old 02-14-2014

Quote:
Yes it would but somewhere someone was looking for a way to do the cooling with a closed loop with antifreeze and wanted a way to get rid o the heat thru a fan and radiator this would be simple to do and lower on power used vice a radiator and fan
The engineer in me showing again
Sure that would work... problem is when it's a 90 Deg day and you are in the cabin the last thing you want is a radiator w/fan distributing hot air into the cabin anywhere... the idea is to take the heat from the unit out of the boat...
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-14-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure that would work... problem is when it's a 90 Deg day and you are in the cabin the last thing you want is a radiator w/fan distributing hot air into the cabin anywhere... the idea is to take the heat from the unit out of the boat...
The keel cooler idea would take the place of the radiator and fan
Discussing these ideas is harder over the forum than in person I may have not been as clear in some of my posts as would be in person

Last edited by newhaul; 02-14-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2014

Quote:
The keel cooler idea would take the place of the radiator and fan
Discussing these ideas is harder over the forum than in person I may have not been as clear in some of my posts as would be in person
It's just more thru hull fittings and or more complicated to add the plumbing and dialing in the correct temperature at the peltier... as I said earlier tap into an existing raw water intake and run through the unit and exit thru either the sink drain or one of the other drains... nothing complicated.... and I really don't think a closed loop system will remove as much heat as a flow thru system. Just my guess here...
Lou452 and christian.hess like this.