Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1664Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
my crews wife brought it and honestly you need a big boat and poopdeck to do it

however it DID work but the glare was intense and would leave you blind if you stared at it more than a second
Thanks! What kind of stove was it? Yes, I have heard about the glare. You need really dark glasses to work with it. Did you cook while under way or just when tied up? When you are using it with a pressure cooker you don't have to worry about spilling stuff. I'm a stew kind of a guy anyway, so for me it would be perfect.
Old 01-07-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I have been cruising the last 37 years on a lot less then $500 a month. Living on a boat is not anything like living under a bridge, and is rent free. Landlubbers don't get the "free of rent" part, nor the" not supporting a car" part.
Things can be a bit more costly for the first 3 years, while you are sorting your priorities out and buying bits and pieces. When you have all your toys, costs drop drastically.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Thanks! What kind of stove was it? Yes, I have heard about the glare. You need really dark glasses to work with it. Did you cook while under way or just when tied up? When you are using it with a pressure cooker you don't have to worry about spilling stuff. I'm a stew kind of a guy anyway, so for me it would be perfect.
dontb rememeber but they were kind of new back then and it was a tester so it was basically a pot with 3 sided panels that reflected all the sun back into the pot or container if you will

we did it underway and it was a mistake since it was 3 of us on a 28 foot wooden boat so it was not ideal having said that I have seen them being used in rural communities down here and on land with much better success...

if saving cooking fuel is your number one concern then get a gimballed kerosene burner and use the smallest pressure cooker available to cook once for the whole day

this is a tactic used by many solo sailors, some even do sushi and sashimi on a daily basis to cut on fuel costs...that and can eating

anywhoo
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have been cruising the last 37 years on a lot less then $500 a month. Living on a boat is not anything like living under a bridge, and is rent free. Landlubbers don't get the "free of rent" part, nor the" not supporting a car" part.
Things can be a bit more costly for the first 3 years, while you are sorting your priorities out and buying bits and pieces. When you have all your toys, costs drop drastically.
Thanks Brent. This is going to be our approach when we move on board full-time in six months. If we are careful, live modestly (as we already do), and are a bit lucky I expect we'll have enough cash to last us at least 3 years. I expect (based on comments like yours) that this should be enough time to make this a sustainable life.

If not, so be it. As with all things in life, failure is always an option .
Old 01-07-2014
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

This thread has legs for a reason. From the poorest among us to the richest, we all seem committed to the general theme of "stepping off". I had an offer to do so in 1999 and I politely declined. I was in South Texas and had just sailed back from a year in Belize, which was an adventure in, and of, itself. The boat was heading out through the Canal to points South on a planned three year sail. I was turning 30 and had a decent career ahead of me and, sadly, I succumbed to the societal pressure to "grow up and plant some roots". I'm 45 now, and although my "roots" may not be as deep as some, I am the father of two beautiful children and the financial obligations that come with that. Nevertheless, I bought a damned boat. And when I sit in the cockpit on a Saturday night with a drink in my hand, I imagine a solo circumnavigation of Catalina Island, a mere 26 miles offshore. And, sometimes, when I've drank more than I probably should, I imagine that journey "down south" and I convince myself that it's not too late to make that trip. If not this year, then maybe the next, or the year after that...
RoryP23, Billzona, slax and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ericb760; 01-07-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

mike its giving up before even trying THATS NOT OK...

cheers

ps. I think this thread is what sailnet should really be about...helpful informative cordial discussions...

safe sailing dudes
mrhoneydew and Brent Swain like this.

Old 01-07-2014
Been there, done that...

A bit OT, but here's a 14 year old girl who did a circ...because she wanted to and got thoroughly trounced for doing so.
Why a 14-Year-Old Girl Decided to Sail Around the World Alone - Sam Price-Waldman - The Atlantic
krisscross likes this.
Old 01-07-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Nevertheless, I bought a damned boat.
And that is awesome. You've already won.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 01-08-2014
Been there, done that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
And that is awesome. You've already won.
I get that, yeah. However, when the slip is paid for (and it doesn't hurt to write the check) and you can afford the libation of your choice, and your belly is full, complacency sets in. I should be content. The truth is that I am not. But, damn! I'm not yet ready to walk (or sail) away from a guaranteed money stream. And, I can't practice my trade without a license, which is hard to come by in latitudes south of my present location.
Old 01-08-2014

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

I was watching a documentary online the other night (I forget which one) but I remember them saying that 70% of the people in The Americas earn less than $2 a day. Now of course the vast majority of those people live in Mexico, Central, and South America and I'm not suggesting that you can cruise on that budget, but it kind of gives you an idea of what is possible.

It is definitely too bad about the health care situation in the U.S. All it would take is a fall down the companionway, or a good crack on the head by the boom to run up such a medical bill that I could potentially lose it all.

The trade off is that since I am more likely to be successful living on less that $500 a month south of the U.S. border, or North in the Salish Sea....when I do fall down the companionway...I will be able to afford the local doctor. (this is my hope).