Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1885Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

With the number of boats being abandoned ,cut up for scrap, etc., there is a huge supply of used paper charts out there, somewhere.
I think good seamanship would mean giving them priority over booze cooling.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
question:

since we are on the topic of BUDGET navigation(jajaja)

whats everybodys latest cheap nav software kind of like captain software was 10-15 years ago?

I need cheap or free...something that will work on my HP laptop running windows 7

I have space on thehardrive and can get some extra space...I have the garmin 76cx which can b e plugged into the laptop but has very basic plotting abilities

whats my best bet for these to equipments I have?

when I was in california I used noaa charts downlodable but for some reason I simply used a paper chart as it didnt work for me downloading or something...I just used them for refernce while hopping down the coast

this was 2 years ago

so any help here?

thanks
christian
A handheld GPS is all you really need . Princess Auto had one for $89.
Old 02-18-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I have one...was just wondering about backup software to my paper charts...

and I agree that IS all I need but appreciate that my boat came with a nice furuno hardwired system that has a great signal all the time!

ps. no princess auto down here! jajaja

btw I just bought a the cheapest fishfinder I could find down here a garmin 150

use it as a backup depthsounder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014

When my depth sounder gave out in Tonga, I was told a new one was unavailable there.
Now I always carry a spare. They are cheap enough.
Old 02-18-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Depth finder have advanced over the years to the point where they're almost disposable. They're so powerful that they'll shoot through fiberglass hulls 4 to 6 inches thick as if they were not even there, and they'll even transmit and receive through thick aluminum hulls. I've never tried to shoot one through a steel hull, though.

Gary
Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When my depth sounder gave out in Tonga, I was told a new one was unavailable there.
Now I always carry a spare. They are cheap enough.
searching ebay the cheapest standalone depthsounder was a lot more expensive than a midrange fishfinder

Ill be using the fishfinder as a shoot thru hull with a nice dab if silicone, or baby oil bath or whatever as soon as I get the best signal....

copacabana and Brent Swain like this.

Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Depth finder have advanced over the years to the point where they're almost disposable. They're so powerful that they'll shoot through fiberglass hulls 4 to 6 inches thick as if they were not even there, and they'll even transmit and receive through thick aluminum hulls. I've never tried to shoot one through a steel hull, though.

Gary
my last boat ysed a fishfinder as the main depthsounder....nice color screen and all and it was used a a shoot through even though its a common skimmer type fishinder for powerboats...

hope I luck out and it works...my last boat was thicker than my current one so here hoping!

ps I agree some damn cheap stuff that works well these days... gps, spot messengers, fishfinders vhf all for great prices and easy to find...

20 years back in the 90s I clearly remember begging to find a used gps for like $300!

jajajaja
Brent Swain and RoryP23 like this.

Old 02-18-2014

abarth is on a distinguished road

When I went looking for a depth sounder for my small sailboat a few years back, my gaze quickly turned to fish finders and then, why not, a gps/sounder. For less than $400 ( now 369 ) I got a color chartplotter, gps, sounder, trip, speed, log, battery voltage, time, sunrise/sunset, anchor alarm, etc.. and charts for ALL of Canada (or the US ). It's only a 4" display but I find it does the job and being small it doesn't need a lot of power. At 1/3 amp I could run it 12 hrs a day for 2 or 3 weeks off a car battery.
Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
my last boat ysed a fishfinder as the main depthsounder....nice color screen and all and it was used a a shoot through even though its a common skimmer type fishinder for powerboats...

hope I luck out and it works...my last boat was thicker than my current one so here hoping!

ps I agree some damn cheap stuff that works well these days... gps, spot messengers, fishfinders vhf all for great prices and easy to find...

20 years back in the 90s I clearly remember begging to find a used gps for like $300!

jajajaja
I full expect to see GPS's in the kid's toy rack in a few years for $10 that are as good as a $800 GPS from just a few years ago (the first electronic calculator I ever saw didn't do anything but add, subtract, multiply and divide, and it sold for $400).
Brent Swain likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-18-2014

well thats a bargain aint it?

group 9 you jumped in there but I guess sarcastically the same applies to your post! AJAJAJAJAJA