Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Our spare depth sounder is a lead line, complete with a wax grab well so we can sample the bottom. When we bought our current boat it came with a dead depth sounder. We had to sail it back home, through unfamiliar water, so we dug out the lead line and were off. We spent that entire first season without a functioning depth sounder. The lead line was all we had, and it worked just fine. Made us a bit more cautious when entering strange anchorages, and anchoring probably took a bit longer, but no big deal really.

Don't get me wrong, I like working depth sounder. But it only took a short time to get used to using a lead line.
Bene505 likes this.
Old 02-18-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

My GPS is a used cobra GPS 100 older but still works good ten bucks at second hand Chandler's (longship marine) gives lat and lon to the tenth of a second.
Handheld and waterproof to ten meters it says

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Our spare depth sounder is a lead line, complete with a wax grab well so we can sample the bottom. When we bought our current boat it came with a dead depth sounder. We had to sail it back home, through unfamiliar water, so we dug out the lead line and were off. We spent that entire first season without a functioning depth sounder. The lead line was all we had, and it worked just fine. Made us a bit more cautious when entering strange anchorages, and anchoring probably took a bit longer, but no big deal really.

Don't get me wrong, I like working depth sounder. But it only took a short time to get used to using a lead line.
I used to use a lead line all of the time when I first started sailing. My first sailboat had no electronics except an intermittent depth gauge (it only seemed to work in water that I knew was deep enough) and a VHF radio (which we could use to use to make phone calls back then if we kept out later than we planned and you would actually read your credit card numbers off to the operator (to show how innocent the world was back then), or make it collect). I made my lead line from an old window weight.
Bene505 and MikeOReilly like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-19-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
This is what he's afraid his freezer will look like.

Regards,
Brad
Did my wife send you that picture. Exactly like hers, even the stuff stored on the outsides.
John
Old 02-19-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Did my wife send you that picture. Exactly like hers, even the stuff stored on the outsides.
John
Funny.

No I got it off Google Images.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-19-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
John
Looks like a power failure could cost you a fortune with that rig!
Old 02-19-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Ironically, I had to watch a friend's 42 Hunter in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor last winter while he drove home to take care of his ailing brother who had underwent bypass surgery and was having a rough time. He hoped his solar panel (500-watt) would keep his house batteries charged enough to take care of his fully stocked onboard refrigerator/freezer - it didn't. We had about 7 days of cloudy weather and one afternoon I went out to check on his boat and the stench was enough to kill a horse. I threw away more than $1,500 in food that had spoiled in the freezer and refrigerator, then spent two days cleaning it out with bleach water and detergents. It was a horrendous mess. When he came back to the boat a month later, he and his wife both said if they would have come back to that smell, they would have tossed a match into the cabin and just dinghy'd away and let it burn to the waterline and sink.

We remain good friends and I hope to see them this coming summer when I sail down to northern Virginia where they currently reside.

Gary
Magnolia likes this.
Old 02-19-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used to use a lead line all of the time when I first started sailing. My first sailboat had no electronics except an intermittent depth gauge (it only seemed to work in water that I knew was deep enough) and a VHF radio (which we could use to use to make phone calls back then if we kept out later than we planned and you would actually read your credit card numbers off to the operator (to show how innocent the world was back then), or make it collect). I made my lead line from an old window weight.
A fishing pole and a bobber is a good tool. Use a small bobber and a large sinker. You can set your depth. If the bobber sinks you should float. You can find the shallow water as far away as you can cast. The keel can find all the shallow water right next to the boat.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 02-19-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

nice! thanks for that, reminds me I need a fishing pole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
well thats a bargain aint it?

group 9 you jumped in there but I guess sarcastically the same applies to your post! AJAJAJAJAJA
That is one great thing about electronics. In a world where so many things get more expensive, and of lesser quality, electronics just keep getting cheaper and better!
Brent Swain and Lou452 like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.