Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Voyaging on $500 per month

What? Have we stalled on this thread? Come on guys... I need this. I am at a point where I am working on weening myself from the comforts, conveniences, and expenses of the city (Seattle). After I finish a large amount of work when I haul out in mid-April I plan to start cruising the Puget Sound and San Juans to get a feel for my boat (new to me last September). All of the discussion on this thread about provisioning, making money while cruising, and means of navigation, etc. helps to keep me going during these unseasonably cold months. So... what is another topic we can address with budget cruising in mind? What about untying the lines? What are some ideas for helping to transition from landlubber to cruising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

OK here's one, I used a standard sized bottle of extermly mild organic dish soap for 9 months. I used it to do all my dishes, wash my dog, wash my bike and boat and shower and wash my hair. 4 bucks for 9 months. You can only use the organic kind for this if you wash your boat the Joy type soap it will strip all your wax instantly and you wouldn't want it on you or your dog either.
Bene505 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
What about untying the lines? What are some ideas for helping to transition from landlubber to cruising?
My wife and I are beginning our journey this summer ... if the water ever turns soft again (don't you dare complain about winters in Seattle -- try ours ). Our cruising has, up until now, been limited to seasonal trips up to seven or eight weeks at the most. It will be interesting to see if this departure feels any different. I don't expect it to, but life is full of surprises. We'll see.

In keeping with the frugal cruising idea, our way (and it sounds like yours as well) is to go slowly, and set conservative objectives. It seems to me that one sure way to drive up costs is to have a schedule -- to stick to a plan. We have no where in particular to go, and we have lots of time to get there. There is wonder everywhere you travel. This notion of "gotta see this" and " bucket list that" just seems silly to me. There is adventure and learning everywhere. Go slow, and enjoy.

... not sure if this advances the thread at all, or is what you were looking for mrhoneydew, but there ya go.
Brent Swain and RoryP23 like this.
Old 02-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

NO SCHEDULES! no I have to be here at this moment or else

just go...

untying the lines:

my advice...cruise to a place very close to where you are currently living...set the hook and take a break from all the "refitting" and provisioning...

if you like the feeling of being on the hook even though you are so close just keep going...the boat that is...

even if you have to buy more gear or fix stuff on the boat DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR HARBOR...just keep going

this is what we did on our first virgin cruise...we actually bought stuff along the way and provisioned too

we even had ssb antenna installed in downwind marine in san diego...before setting off on the baja haha but even in mexico we were tweaking stuff to our liking as we did in costa rica, panama, etc...

just dont look back or think the boat is not ready...it is much more ready than you are...boats love it!

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2014
A melon with a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
OK here's one, I used a standard sized bottle of extermly mild organic dish soap for 9 months. I used it to do all my dishes, wash my dog, wash my bike and boat and shower and wash my hair. 4 bucks for 9 months. You can only use the organic kind for this if you wash your boat the Joy type soap it will strip all your wax instantly and you wouldn't want it on you or your dog either.
Excellent! Frugal, multiple uses, and minimal stowage space. I like it.
Old 02-22-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

i used JOY in the same manner jejeje

it suds in saltwater, helps dipserse fuel spills too...and workd great as a degreaser...it also cleans the hell oyt of old nappy salty hair...

cleans the bum just fine too!

ajaja
Group9 likes this.

Old 02-22-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
BFN,

What brand do you use for this?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-22-2014
A melon with a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
My wife and I are beginning our journey this summer ... if the water ever turns soft again (don't you dare complain about winters in Seattle -- try ours ). Our cruising has, up until now, been limited to seasonal trips up to seven or eight weeks at the most. It will be interesting to see if this departure feels any different. I don't expect it to, but life is full of surprises. We'll see.

In keeping with the frugal cruising idea, our way (and it sounds like yours as well) is to go slowly, and set conservative objectives. It seems to me that one sure way to drive up costs is to have a schedule -- to stick to a plan. We have no where in particular to go, and we have lots of time to get there. There is wonder everywhere you travel. This notion of "gotta see this" and " bucket list that" just seems silly to me. There is adventure and learning everywhere. Go slow, and enjoy.

... not sure if this advances the thread at all, or is what you were looking for mrhoneydew, but there ya go.
MikeO, I feel for ya buddy. You win the coldness contest. I'm just a bit of a wuss when it comes to being cold. Part of my reason for even getting a boat in the first place is so I can seek out palm trees, turquoise waters, and bikini-clad girls on sandy beaches. I had thought just before I started reading this thread in early January that I would get a bunch of work done on my boat, save up some $, and head out by the beginning of September. Partly because the one year anniversary of when I acquired the boat is Sept 10 and a year seemed like a good goal, and partly because any later and I would miss my window to head down the West Coast before weather gets too bad. But... I ultimately decided that such a condensed timeline was too stressful. I want to enjoy the summer here in some of the most spectacular cruising grounds on earth and take some time to get my boat dialed in. I doubt I will be ready to head South this year. Then again, I may just decide to head out the Strait of Juan de Fuca, hang a left, and just keep going. I'll know when I decide.

I do surmise that this time for you leaving will feel different in some way because before when you have left to cruise you have known in the back of your mind that you would be coming back at some particular date. You will not have that this time. And that is part of what keeps me going--to one day not have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that there is some place I really need to be or something I really need to do based on someone else's schedule. At present I am starting to slowly make that mental transition as best I can, though it is more of a challenge on land.
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
my advice...cruise to a place very close to where you are currently living...set the hook and take a break from all the "refitting" and provisioning...

if you like the feeling of being on the hook even though you are so close just keep going...the boat that is...
What Christian says!

Not quite the same thing, but in our first season with our Rafiki we had tons of things to do on the boat. We finally said, the heck with it, and left. We sailed to a nearby, but nicely remote anchorage, dropped the hook, and continued to rig the new (to us) windvane, sort out the rig, get the electronics in order, and reorganized a bunch of other things including the anchor system and the galley. After three days we headed off for six weeks, including our first overnight crossing on this boat.

The best thing we did was to get away from the dock. No more running off to the hardware store, no more second-guessing. We decided if we didn't have it, we would make do without it. And we had a great trip.

At some point, you just gotta go.
Old 02-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
i used JOY in the same manner jejeje

it suds in saltwater, helps dipserse fuel spills too...and workd great as a degreaser...it also cleans the hell oyt of old nappy salty hair...

cleans the bum just fine too!

ajaja
We used to have a hunting camp that had well water that had so many minerals in it, that Joy soap was the only thing that would lather in it, so that's what we bathed with there, too.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.