Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
NO SCHEDULES! no I have to be here at this moment or else

just go...

untying the lines:

my advice...cruise to a place very close to where you are currently living...set the hook and take a break from all the "refitting" and provisioning...

if you like the feeling of being on the hook even though you are so close just keep going...the boat that is...

even if you have to buy more gear or fix stuff on the boat DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR HARBOR...just keep going

this is what we did on our first virgin cruise...we actually bought stuff along the way and provisioned too

we even had ssb antenna installed in downwind marine in san diego...before setting off on the baja haha but even in mexico we were tweaking stuff to our liking as we did in costa rica, panama, etc...

just dont look back or think the boat is not ready...it is much more ready than you are...boats love it!

cheers
Good advice. I am less concerned about provisioning. That I will do along the way. But the refitting...? Well, you haven't seen my boat. It was pretty neglected and before I feel confident in going any distance I need to haul out and check out major systems. The little cosmetic things I can and will do along the way. I am thinking I will just stay in the place I am going for haul-out (Port Townsend) since it is further out on the way to the Pacific and I will not come back to Seattle. There are still some things I need to do work-wise before I can totally leave and for that I need to be moored somewhere with access to my truck. But it will be a step. Just getting out of the city will be a step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
I do surmise that this time for you leaving will feel different in some way because before when you have left to cruise you have known in the back of your mind that you would be coming back at some particular date. You will not have that this time.
True. On our Great Lakes journeys, there always came a time when we knew we had to start heading back. This has always been hard. We would joke about how we could easily just keep going. The boat is fine, we're loving it, we've got enough food to last another month or so ... why not just keep going. But duties, obligations, and the need to make $$$, have always pulled us back.

NOT THIS TIME!

So yeah, it probably will feel different. I'll probably start a blog, or some such thing, so I'll let you all know.

As for your cruising ground, I'm rather envious. I love the PNW. I've sailed out of Vancouver, north to the edge of Desolation Sound, and around the area. It reminds me a lot of Lake Superior with its rugged beauty and tons of small anchorages everywhere. We toyed with the idea of trucking out boat out to the west coast to begin our travels, but the costs were prohibitive. So we may get there in five or six years by water ... or we may not. Who knows. That's the fun of heading out with no real plans.

Enjoy the time in your area. It's an amazing place.
RoryP23 and guitarguy56 like this.
Old 02-22-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarth View Post
When I went looking for a depth sounder for my small sailboat a few years back, my gaze quickly turned to fish finders and then, why not, a gps/sounder. For less than $400 ( now 369 ) I got a color chartplotter, gps, sounder, trip, speed, log, battery voltage, time, sunrise/sunset, anchor alarm, etc.. and charts for ALL of Canada (or the US ). It's only a 4" display but I find it does the job and being small it doesn't need a lot of power. At 1/3 amp I could run it 12 hrs a day for 2 or 3 weeks off a car battery.
What kind and where did you find it ??
Regards, Lou
Old 02-23-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
OK here's one, I used a standard sized bottle of extermly mild organic dish soap for 9 months. I used it to do all my dishes, wash my dog, wash my bike and boat and shower and wash my hair. 4 bucks for 9 months. You can only use the organic kind for this if you wash your boat the Joy type soap it will strip all your wax instantly and you wouldn't want it on you or your dog either.
Fifteen for large bottle of mane and tail shampoo at the feed store vice twenty two at wally world lasts near two years

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
We finally said, the heck with it, and left.
I may not have gone on anywhere, but that's pretty much what I did this past year. I decided, enough projects, I'm going to sail today and just went for it. A few hours on the water was a great break that I needed to clear my mind and relax. I didn't have to think about work or house and stress was gone and it was good.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-23-2014
islander bahama 24

Watched the giveaway box at marina got twelve volt dehumidifier free including a 120 volt power supply
Peltier plate tech works great
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014

abarth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
What kind and where did you find it ??
Regards, Lou
Lou, it's a Lowrance Elite-4 w/ special Navionics chart bundle. It seems you can buy it just about anywhere, ie westmarine. One of the big attractions for me was the charts. I'm not sure why they are called special, they seem to be the proper charts. I've only had it in Georgian Bay but I could not see any difference between it and paper charts so I'm going to guess the coastal charts contained would be good and not some stripped down version.
Lou452 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to abarth For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Fifteen for large bottle of mane and tail shampoo at the feed store vice twenty two at wally world lasts near two years
hilarious thats what my wife uses for her silky smooth hair

well according to her that is...

guess Ill use it on the boat then cause we got a couple of big bottles left

Old 02-23-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
hilarious thats what my wife uses for her silky smooth hair

well according to her that is...

guess Ill use it on the boat then cause we got a couple of big bottles left
They use it on multimillion dollar show horses so it must be good and if you get it at the feed store its lots cheaper than the people store

Old 02-23-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Voyaging on $500 per month

I could stretch a bottle of soap... whatever the brand... pretty far. Shaved head!

I do have a question for the thread. What about mail or a mailing address? I don't have (or want) a house and I'm not sure I want to saddle some poor friend or relative with my personal affairs. Simplifying by not having bills, etc. is certainly good for a lot of reasons, but won't I still have to have my boat registered somewhere? I haven't decided about insurance or just winging it. What do some of you do/plan to do?
RoryP23 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.