Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
However, I'm guessing not many members of the $500/Month Club are likely to have freezers aboard :-)
That's true however on the meat line do a forum search for canning I did several informative posts a couple years ago on the subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Here is an interesting video of the commercial fish market in Tokyo. Notice them cutting the FROZEN tuna with a bandsaw. They are flash frozen on the ships right after they are caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSA_kvamwJE
Old 04-23-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If fish are frozen very fast and to very cold temperatures, it minimizes the cellular damage but frozen is never as good as fresh. On a sailboat, the freezing process will be neither fast nor very cold. Many of the tuna and swordfish caught on smaller boats spend hours on ice before being frozen. The big longliners and harpoon boats have flash freezing but not the smaller boats. Better to catch just enough to refrigerate a quantity that can be consumed in a couple of days. Fishing while on the hook can be a good way to catch pan fish such as flounders, porgy, etc. Small fish are really some of the best eating and it's a fun thing to do.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Have to agree with Kostis that the desire for inland travel would make $500pm very hard to achieve. I seriously doubt that the $500pm cruiser will have that option other than short backpacking trips and even then not too many of them.
Yes, it's likely one of the many choices one would have to make. That said, going ashore and seeing things doesn't necessarily mean spending big bucks. It depends on what you want to do, and how you want to do it.

If you want/need to take expensive docking, rent a car, stay in fancy hotels, eat at expensive restaurants, and go to costly tourist spots, then yes, it will be expensive. If you moor nearby, find a safe place to leave your dingy, walk, bike (if you have a bike) or hitchhike, take your own food, and avoid expensive sites, then it can be fairly cheap. It all depends on your choices.

One thing I've learned is that there is wonder and beauty nearly everywhere one goes. I can't think of anyplace that I need to see. There are lots of places I'd like to visit, but if the cost is too high, then no problem. There's no end of things to see or visit.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here is an interesting video of the commercial fish market in Tokyo. Notice them cutting the FROZEN tuna with a bandsaw. They are flash frozen on the ships right after they are caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSA_kvamwJE

yup again depends on the tuna...or other fish types etc...

sushi grade for top notch restaurants is something completely different

kind of like talking about picnic virginia ham in a black hoofes serrano ham thread from spain

youd be surprised how much stuff you eat normally are flash frozen and then thawed for consumption in the markets...

most all meats in most countries are this way too...
just sayin

didnt want this thread to get derailled but basically if you have a freezer on your boat(500 a month budget or not)

freezing fish and meats is common

I knew a boat an american tri don here who had a big freezer on board and they lived somewhere in the states where they could hunt deer a lot...so they practically stuffed the freezer with dear and elk or whatnot and it lasted them years!

jajaja

peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 04-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostis View Post
Anyway, what about traveling in the country expenses. For example if you sail to England won't one want to visit cities and landmarks in the interior of the country? Those are the big expenses -apart from the boat expenses of course-. Am i wrong?
I would say you simply can't do this sort of thing on a very modest budget. It's just one of many things you can't do.

I haven't looked at England specifically, but I suspect it may be a no-go place in general. As a rule, I think most so-called "first world" countries would be off limits to a truly frugal cruiser. Things just cost too much.

BTW, while frugal cruising removes some choices regarding where and how you can cruise, but I think it also opens up other options not available to those with plenty of money.
Old 04-23-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Like what?
Old 04-23-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

yea,like what?
I'm curious also, what things are available only to me because of my poverty and or frugality that those with means are excluded?
Old 04-23-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Mike, I would not consider myself to be rich, but did manage to afford first world places like Brisbane. At the same time we did like to go to places a little bit off the beaten track where you could not spend much even if you wanted to. I think it is all about attitude.

Also i don't think it is an all or nothing kind of thing. When we were in the Galapagos we took a four day tour with a company that focusses on the backpacker/sailor market (two notoriously impecunious and/or frugal groups. The cost was less than half of that of the 'budge' level cruise ships there and about 1/6th the cost of the top end ones. In some countries we travelled on local buses in others we rented a vehicle, just did what made sense - a car rental in NZ was cheaper than the buses, but normally a lot more expensive. In South Africa we rented because of flexibility, the ability to get to places a lot faster, and for security.
Old 04-23-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
yea,like what?
I'm curious also, what things are available only to me because of my poverty and or frugality that those with means are excluded?
the simple things in life bud....

people get caught up in having material wealth when the best times I have EVER had when going around and cruising have actually been with people in different countries from different places or with animals

1. touching wild seals in galapagos in complete peace, they felt no fear of humas nor did I of them

2. spending a whole week with a sri lankan guide on a very personal tour of sri lanka...learned how he got married, and how....what traditions they abide by etc...

just these 2 examples show you how MONEY has NOTHING to do with experiences and or the pleasures in life

ps. I see killarney did some of the same things...when possible we completely avoided guided tours, we called them MOO MOO gudies where basically you are herded like cattle from place to places

in galapagos we actually toured 3 of the other islands not commonly available to foreigners...

on isabella I beleive the big island my friend knew the HAM radio controller up high at the top of the mountain and we had lunch and slept when of the most glorious siestas I have ever had...the guy did the spanish cruiser nets for weather from up there and we used him all the way to the south pacific

stuff like that out if the way stuff you only get by personal experiences and befriending people along the way...

having $$$ would add no personal experiences at all to said trips...above
smurphny and MikeOReilly like this.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 04-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.