Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

My forecast from Environment Canada:

Warnings

8:15 AM EDT Friday 25 April 2014
Snowfall warning in effect for:

City of Thunder Bay
Snowfall - morning to late afternoon.

A late season snowfall continues this morning for areas near Lake Superior. Snow at times heavy will continue this morning, but should begin to taper off this afternoon. 15 to 18 cm of snow has been measured in the Thunder Bay area as of 8 am. A total snowfall accumulation of 20 to 25 centimetres appears likely in the warned regions.
Old 04-25-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yikes! its almost may!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

We're supposed to get snow here in the next couple of days as well. It's really not that atypical. The warm springs we've had in recent years were out of the ordinary. Anyway, the canals are opening. Just got an email from the Canal Authority:

Notice to Mariners
2014 Navigation Season

April 22, 2014

Mariners are advised that, conditions permitting, all portions of the New York State Canal System are scheduled to open Saturday, May 3, 2014, at 7:00 a.m. for the 2014 navigation season.

The hours of operation for the 2014 season are as follows:

May 3 to May 21: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
May 22 to September 10: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
September 11 to November 19: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
In addition to the schedule listed above, the following locks and lift bridges will operate on demand from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm from May 22 to September 10:

Lock C-1, Halfmoon
Lock E-7, Niskayuna
Lock E-23, Brewerton
Lock O-1, Phoenix
Lock E-24, Baldwinsville
Main Street Lift Bridge, Fairport
Lock E-32, Pittsford
Lock E-33, Henrietta
Spencerport Lift Bridge
Adams Basin Lift Bridge
Park Avenue Lift Bridge, Brockport
Main Street Lift Bridge, Brockport
Exchange Street Lift Bridge, Lockport
Lock E-34/35, Lockport
Lock CS-1, Cayuga
Lock CS-2/3, Seneca Falls
Lock CS-4, Waterloo
In addition to the structures listed above, the following lift bridges will operate on demand from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm and on a scheduled basis from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm from May 22 to September 10:

Medina Lift Bridge
Middleport Lift Bridge
Gasport Lift Bridge
The schedule for openings at these bridges will be posted in a subsequent Notice to Mariners.

Vessels will be admitted through structures if arriving prior to scheduled closing. Vessels arriving at Lock CS-2/3 in Seneca Falls or Lock E-34/35 in Lockport from either direction prior to scheduled closing will be admitted through both chambers. Vessels arriving westbound at Lock E-21 in New London or arriving eastbound at Lock E-22 in Verona prior to scheduled closing will be admitted through both locks. Vessels arriving at the Waterford Flight from either direction prior to scheduled closing will be admitted through the entire Flight.

24-hour service is available to commercial vessels such as tour boats, tugboats, charter boats, cruise ships, and hire-boats operating on the Canal System. Registered commercial operators should call (518) 471-5014 during regular business hours and (518) 461-0942 after hours to make arrangements for lock and lift bridge service outside of the Canalís regular operating schedule.

For updates and information, please call 1-800-4CANAL4 or visit New York State Canals.
Old 04-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
We're supposed to get snow here in the next couple of days as well. It's really not that atypical. The warm springs we've had in recent years were out of the ordinary.
You're right about the Springs, but our winter up here has definitely been atypical. We've broken all sorts of all-time records (including snow fall for today!). This is the coldest winter on record for us, we hit some absolute temperature low records (-44 Celsius/-47F some days, and that's not wind chill!). Lake Superior has never been as icey for so long (compared to records going back a century or so), shipping season has never been delayed for this long. There's probably a few more.

We certainly didn't break any total snow fall records. It's the cold that has been atypical. And I'm glad we shared it with you folks down south . I wish you'd send a bit more of your hot air up here (and I'm not talking about your politicians )

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 04-25-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Thats y u need heating. It is so warm down in the south....
Old 04-25-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
You're right about the Springs, but our winter up here has definitely been atypical. We've broken all sorts of all-time records (including snow fall for today!). This is the coldest winter on record for us, we hit some absolute temperature low records (-44 Celsius/-47F some days, and that's not wind chill!). Lake Superior has never been as icey for so long (compared to records going back a century or so), shipping season has never been delayed for this long. There's probably a few more.

We certainly didn't break any total snow fall records. It's the cold that has been atypical. And I'm glad we shared it with you folks down south . I wish you'd send a bit more of your hot air up here (and I'm not talking about your politicians )
I meant the snowfall is not unusual this time of the year. We have an annual whitewater derby here on the Hudson on the first full weekend of May. Have been going to it for 40 years and it often spits snow. The weather swings this time of the year are wild. One day it's summer, the next day winter again. This winter certainly was much below normal on the entire East Coast. That's from official data. The coldest I can ever remember it being in these parts was 42 below (F) back in the 70s.
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 04-25-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I haven't looked at England specifically, but I suspect it may be a no-go place in general. As a rule, I think most so-called "first world" countries would be off limits to a truly frugal cruiser. Things just cost too much.
As a sight-seeing cruiser to England, one would probably want to concentrate on London because that is the centre of the history and most of the things worth seeing are located in one small area. But . . . .

There is nowhere close to London that one could anchor. Just getting up the Thames is a mission in it's own right because at full ebb, the tide runs at sometimes 5 knots and it is a long way up to London (38nm from the river entrance to St Catherine's Dock, the only marina in the Thames IIRC). So your timing has to be right because the ebb lasts for nearly twice as long as the flood.

And then I don't believe you would be allowed to anchor in the river (may be wrong) but if you did your holding would have to be excellent and you would have to plan for around 7 metres of tidal range. And then you'd need to find somewhere to store your dingy while you're ashore.

If you're planning on berthing at St Catherine's Dock, the rates are surprisingly low but there is no living aboard permitted so one would have to find accommodation in London. Also I suspect one would have to reserve a berth a long time ahead.

So you would have to be somewhere else to anchor and travel into London and on $500 a month, expect to go hungry for a while.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-25-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of other marinas on the Thames, one more on the north side and one on the south. They are not ridiculously expensive for big city marinas, but they are a lot more than $500 a month. I seem to remember when I checked it out for our 35' about 8 years ago it was around $1600 a month including power. Once you are there it is a very expensive city, even to get around. Last time when we were there the prices for most things were almost the same as in Toronto (not a cheap city), except the prices were in pounds when the pound was basically twice the value of the Loonie (Canadian dollar).
Old 04-25-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My forecast from Environment Canada:

Warnings

8:15 AM EDT Friday 25 April 2014
Snowfall warning in effect for:

City of Thunder Bay
Snowfall - morning to late afternoon.

A late season snowfall continues this morning for areas near Lake Superior. Snow at times heavy will continue this morning, but should begin to taper off this afternoon. 15 to 18 cm of snow has been measured in the Thunder Bay area as of 8 am. A total snowfall accumulation of 20 to 25 centimetres appears likely in the warned regions.
Suck it up, Mike! People will think Canadians are babies and can't take a little winter as May approaches.
Old 04-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Suck it up, Mike! People will think Canadians are babies and can't take a little winter as May approaches.
Arrrgh, right! No problem here. Bring on the snow and blizzards. Ah Ha Ha Ha (maniacal laugh). We'll be launching tomorrow! It's what Canadian's do .

Psssst ... did I go to far KS?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.