Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Your link doesn't show any panels near the same size (100 watts) newhaul is looking for. Panels are less expensive per watt for large panels.
Old 05-04-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

158 is the smallest they have, but size wise they should work for most cruisers.
best if your on the west coast. then shipping will not be a big bite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014

Keep in mind that shopping by price alone has leaves out the better quality panels. I wouldn't buy a built to a price Chinese panel nor a controller from any except an established company like Genasun, Outback, Morningstar, or Blue Sky.
You do get what you pay for. I know people with good panels that are more than a decade ole from Kyocera, Siemens, Sharp and others that are still performing as designed. How many cheap panels will be doing that after 5 or 10 years.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-04-2014
Schooner Captain

I can buy a lot of panels for the price of an expensive one. even if it only lasts 5 years, then I get the new better one in 5 years. In 5 years the price will be lower still.

The Following User Says Thank You to UnionPacific For This Useful Post:
Kostis (05-06-2014)
Old 05-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

there is something to be said about that, panels are getting pretty disposable and cheap these days

I would vouch for a good controller that will outlast 2 or 3 panel changes and be able to accpet adding panels too

panels keep going down on price so its not such a bad argument if you think about it

having said that kyocera and the panels mitiempo states are the same ones I was told where the ones to look for as the best overall...

cheers

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-04-2014
Schooner Captain

Your correct, I plan to spend the money on a good quality 80 amp MPPT myself, and run cheap panels into it.

Old 05-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Your correct, I plan to spend the money on a good quality 80 amp MPPT myself, and run cheap panels into it.
The flaws found in cheap panels can reduce output by a fair amount. If you are spending the money on a good controller like the Outback FlexMax 80 why not feed it well with good panels.
Old 05-04-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

My controller cost me almost twice what the panel cost me. In fact I think my 290W panel was about the lowest priced part of the project.
Old 05-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

I only need a 45 watt array however that hundred watt kit Vegas had and free shipping was at about the same price as the cheap 45 watt unit from harbor freight and like stated in five years the prices will be much better as will the tech and renogy is out of chino California and they claim to manufacture their own panels and guarantee the output for 25 years. So I'm OK with that and mabey next year I will be able to afford that mppt controller

Old 05-04-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The flaws found in cheap panels can reduce output by a fair amount. If you are spending the money on a good controller like the Outback FlexMax 80 why not feed it well with good panels.
Because I am going for 1000 watts on my primary 24v house bank, and 400 on my 12V bank. IF I spent $4 a watt, then I might as well just spend that money on diesel for my generator. 1200 gallons of diesel will run my 3500 watt generator for 7000 hours, the same as the full array running 4 hours of daily max output for 7 years. The math does not work out on expensive panels.

I guess my big personal drawback is I want a big freezer. This is going to eat power, perhaps 80AH a day. I also plan to skip a windvane for a second auto pilot. so that will eat power too. If I was only doing a 100 watt panel, I would get a cheap controller, non-mppt, and a good panel with 18%+ effc. Even then Only for reliability, and that is not assured.