Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'best be concerned', sounds a bit threatening. If that was not your intention I apologize.
The threat is real. If you ignore it and show up unprepared, be ready for fines. In America ignorance is not a defense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

OK, and in all the other countries ignorance is a defence? I think when you get out there you may find that the jurisprudence is not as predictable, and shall I say nice, as in the US.
MikeOReilly likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 05-07-2014

ravinracin is on a distinguished road

UP, A few years ago I left this country for 5 years., courtesy of the US Navy. Do you know what I missed on? A song will come on the radio and everyone will know it, but not me. Politics have never been an issue because of my absence. That crap just keeps going on and on and on and everyday there is another thing we gotta fight against. Man, you sound like you are going to have a coronary about all this stuff. You can't stop it, just chill out a little. Be Frugal. $500. a month remember?
Old 05-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
To dismiss all politics is foolish.

Florida right now wants to make it impossible to cruise for under $500 a month.
To dismiss it, even as someone not from here, is ignorant. I don't want FL to go the way of bahamas, and offer a cruising permit for $300 for 90 days.

Anyway back on topic.
Next time you quote someone you may want to remove the irrelevant parts.
union I dont quite understand what this is all about are you stil reffering to me and my post or what?

what quote?

you are reffering in the case if florida to a state, in a specific country in a specific geographical part of the world

while im with you on certain rights, boating rights and cruiser rights I can hopefully offer this advice:

once your out there and cruising you will have less strong and extreme opinions on certain things and many you will simply shrug a shoulder to...

you will become more lax, more understanding, more peacefull...

one of the great things about travelling and cruising for us in this case is the acceptance of other cultures, ways of life, religions, traditions even social and economic as well as govermental systems...

its the differences that make us equal...

I hope you find a way to do this

take care
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 05-07-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
I don't want FL to go the way of bahamas, and offer a cruising permit for $300 for 90 days.
You should do some research. Bahamas cruising permit is valid for one year. $150 for vessels 30 ft and under and $300 for vessels 31 ft and over. This includes a fishing permit. Repair parts may be imported duty free.

From Noonsite:

And yes I agree, lets end the political rant.
Old 05-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

not bad at all

Old 05-08-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Mike you shouldn't miss East coast all together. This is a mistake. The low country is beautiful. Why would you miss it because of the politicians? And people are not suing all the time. It is just that you hear about it. Anyway, there are the Appalachian the beautiful keys the Savannah and Charleston ( those are the places i know ) Whats the point of traveling the world if you start taking out of your list a good part?

US is beautiful from what i have seen.
Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostis View Post
Mike you shouldn't miss East coast all together. This is a mistake. The low country is beautiful. Why would you miss it because of the politicians? And people are not suing all the time. It is just that you hear about it. Anyway, there are the Appalachian the beautiful keys the Savannah and Charleston ( those are the places i know ) Whats the point of traveling the world if you start taking out of your list a good part?

Thanks Kostis, wise words. I'm still a couple of years from having to make the decision between doing the Bahamas jump, or perhaps leaping down the east coast in big hops.

I love travelling in the USA. I do it fairly regularly on land (often by motorcycle). Like most Canadians, I live very close to the international border. I love the land, and the people. The problem for us frugal sailors is that the cost of healthcare and boat insurance is so high in the US.

Just about anywhere else in the world healthcare is easily affordable, but if I break my leg in the US, I could be financial ruined. From what I understand (and from the reactions from our American friends) going without significant boat insurance also seems to be a mistake. Both these items will put a major strain on our budget. So sadly, it may come down to a cost-benefit analysis, which when you think about it, is appropriate for the homeland of "free" market thinking .
Kostis likes this.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 05-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
OK, and in all the other countries ignorance is a defence? I think when you get out there you may find that the jurisprudence is not as predictable, and shall I say nice, as in the US.
That was not my implication. Some countries are far worse, take for example the ones who prosecute you for murder when you kill in self defense. Yes the US is predictable. If your filthy rich you can murder someone and get away with it, If your poor, your going to jail for 15 years for having a small amount of drugs on you. Back on topic please.

Old 05-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostis View Post

Charleston was very nice. There are still places to anchor, thou I cannot recall a good place to land a dinghy for free. Downtown is awesome, and there is a ton of history.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.