Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Thanks Kostis, wise words. I'm still a couple of years from having to make the decision between doing the Bahamas jump, or perhaps leaping down the east coast in big hops.
I cannot find enough good things about bahamas to offset the $300 check in fee personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Kostis, wise words. I'm still a couple of years from having to make the decision between doing the Bahamas jump, or perhaps leaping down the east coast in big hops.
I guess I should have said Nova Scotia to Bermuda (or some similar arc) to the Bahamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
I cannot find enough good things about bahamas to offset the $300 check in fee personally.
Your loss I suspect. $300 for a year of cruising is too high? Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Perhaps you should try Cuba .
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-08-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

I would love to go to cuba, personally but i dont think that would happen any time soon
Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

well there is a lot to learn out there...for some it might be more steep a learning curve than others it seems

last word of advice...be less strict with your plans and go with the flow...

thats what cruising is about

there are very few countries btw that are much less than 300 for a year

el salvador and mostof central america are around 150 give or take and are pretty lax with renewing your 90 day stay...for example down here in the estuary there are quote a few boats that have been here for years with no problems at all

in any case

that page mitiempo quoted has most of the basic fees and up to date info for cruisers wanting to check into places

cheers

mike I too always have the same fears when I go back to the states, to date I have never had anything really bad happen to me in the states to need big time insurance, but just be careful

regarding boat insurance I have never been one to have it, only when required have I gotten liability insurance for example when I was in berkely in california

maybe there is some cheap coastal insurance for the us east coast while you hop down?

peace
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 05-08-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Where can you put 1400 watts of panels on a 48' ketch without serious shading?

They are best in parallel as series will kill output if a panel gets shaded.
One thing rarely mentioned, and that many Milk Run cruisers tend to underestimate: During the course of many westabout tradewwinds/downnwind passages, your solar panels can spend a a good deal of the day beyond midday being shaded by the sails...

On such passages, a water generator could easily be your most reliable and productive source of power...

I was sailing south at this time. Had I been headed west, those panels would likely be in the shade...

Old 05-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:

Your loss I suspect. $300 for a year of cruising is too high? Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Perhaps you should try Cuba .
I cannot think of any place I want to hang out for a year. I just wanted to stop in for a week or two. $300 for two weeks is outrageous. Sure, I guess if I stayed for a year it would not be bad.

The islands I am visiting are puerto rico and USVI, both free for me :P
I also want to see the volcano island, but cannot think of the name at this moment. I have a passion for volcanoes.

Old 05-08-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yup...now when you try to tell those arguing against electric inboard conversions and the regen features some motor kits have I laugh and chuckle a bit since its basically the same as a toweable generator of olden days...without having to tow it...and or lose it

I agree

there are many places and routes where solar can be affected quite a bit so having something like a wind genny or something else for example never hurts

cheers

Old 05-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One thing rarely mentioned, and that many Milk Run cruisers tend to underestimate: During the course of many westabout tradewwinds/downnwind passages, your solar panels can spend a a good deal of the day beyond midday being shaded by the sails...

On such passages, a water generator could easily be your most reliable and productive source of power...

I was sailing south at this time. Had I been headed west, those panels would likely be in the shade...
My panels will be mounted like this:

sorry, I just cribbled up a quick drawing. no matter what direction I am sailing, no matter the wind direction, there will always be 1/4 of the panels in the sun. We will also have a 400 watt wind gen, just for passages.

NO. an electric hybrid drive will never pay for itself. The math says so.

Old 05-08-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Well, with over 700 islands and cays spread over a vast area of some of the most beautiful water in the world, I'm guessing you haven't looked very hard..

Just as well, perhaps... I can't see any downside to one less gun being brought into the Bahamas... :-)

Old 05-08-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Wind gens work better in windy anchorages, which most try to avoid. On passage the apparent wind is less than true if you are heading downwind. Often noisy too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.