Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I am sure much of it was upfront things like the huge amount of diesel he carried as well as being resupplied at sea

I don't believe he was able to carry 1 year of food and spares on a 27' going through some of the worst places on earth

BUT it is all written down free to read
He started out with about 80 gallons of diesel, if memory serves... Not all that major an expense, in the big picture. Of course, for most larger yachts doing the NW Passage, fuel is likely to be a significant part of the budget, and the cost of re-fuelling in places like Resolute or Cambridge Bay very high. Probably in the vicinity of $8/gallon, these days...

Matt's food was almost all freeze-dried, and he carried enough to get him all the way through. The re-supplies enroute were not planned upon prior to his departure, and when they did occur, didn't include much in the way of provisions. I recall he was brought a Virginia Ham per special request, and a bottle or two of Scotch, but a few 'treats' like that were about it, if I recall correctly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
He started out with about 80 gallons of diesel, if memory serves... Not all that major an expense, in the big picture. Of course, for most larger yachts doing the NW Passage, fuel is likely to be a significant part of the budget, and the cost of re-fuelling in places like Resolute or Cambridge Bay very high. Probably in the vicinity of $8/gallon, these days...

Matt's food was almost all freeze-dried, and he carried enough to get him all the way through. The re-supplies enroute were not planned upon prior to his departure, and when they did occur, didn't include much in the way of provisions. I recall he was brought a Virginia Ham per special request, and a bottle or two of Scotch, but a few 'treats' like that were about it, if I recall correctly...
what is the distance from Newfoundland to nome? would my 1800 mile range make it without a refuel? ( I would sail when I could)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
what is the distance from Newfoundland to nome? would my 1800 mile range make it without a refuel? ( I would sail when I could)
Just eyeballing my globe here on my desktop, looks like roughly 5,000 miles to me... I think it's highly unlikely many sailing vessels make it thru without refueling, as that trip often turns out to be a motor job most of the way.
Old 05-10-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Jon, diesel fuel up there would be a lot more than $8/gal. It is close to $5/gal in Toronto and the refineries are pretty close to the gas stations. If it was under $10 I would be surprised.
Old 05-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Jon, diesel fuel up there would be a lot more than $8/gal. It is close to $5/gal in Toronto and the refineries are pretty close to the gas stations. If it was under $10 I would be surprised.
That's what I would have thought, as well...

But, apparently not so... these prices quoted are a few years old, but diesel prices haven't really risen all that much in the interim:

Quote:

Diesel fuel like all fuel prices are skyrocketing. April 2011 price for a liter of diesel in Cambridge Bay Nunavut Canada is $1.31/liter. Remember this price is based upon the price of fuel delivered last August 2010 during the annual sealift. If diesel prices increase proportionately (doubtful) the following price forecast is possible:

USA National Diesel Prices:
April 2010 = $2.83/gallon
April 2011 = $3.54/gallon, 125% increase

Cambridge Bay Nunavut Canada Diesel Price:
April 2011 = $1.31/liter x 3.7854 liters/gallon = $4.96/gallon

August 2011 forecast at 125% increase = $6.20/gallon ($1.64/liter)

Northwest Passage 2012 dot com: DIESEL FUEL - Forecasting Arctic Diesel Prices
Old 05-10-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Who would have ever thought we'd be paying this much for diesel! Simply mind boggling. Seems I remember it being about 25 cents in the 1960s:-)
Old 05-10-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Some cruising friends of my mine paid close to $9.00 a gallon in PNG recently......

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-10-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just eyeballing my globe here on my desktop, looks like roughly 5,000 miles to me... I think it's highly unlikely many sailing vessels make it thru without refueling, as that trip often turns out to be a motor job most of the way.
according to open CPN you will have to motor 1500 miles during the 3800 mile trip. I would stop wherever and just get 100 gallons of fuel. I am basing "have to motor" on waters less then 30 miles wide. Of course if the wind is favorable you could sail all but 500 miles. there are a few narrow passes. from cape cod to nome is 4500 miles an easy trip. as long as the ice is low.

Old 05-10-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Jon, the fuel delivery cost must be heavily subsidized (by me it would appear). Diesel in Toronto is more expensive than those prices.

UP, your assumptions about when you motor and when you sail are simplistic at best. Most of this trip is in the polar easterlies and the winds are just not very reliable up there in the summer. When the ice opens up you have to move and move fast, you can't be trying to find the wind that will keep you sailing at 3 knots.
Old 05-10-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

UP, your assumptions about when you motor and when you sail are simplistic at best. Most of this trip is in the polar easterlies and the winds are just not very reliable up there in the summer. When the ice opens up you have to move and move fast, you can't be trying to find the wind that will keep you sailing at 3 knots.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU...UT8SrYKgC6FB0A

you could be very correct, I have not made the trip myself. Just going from written accounts, and videos.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 05-10-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.