Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

that would be something you could ask the actual captains about or panama for that matter...

its obvious people are doing it and for decades now...soooooooooooooo im pretty sure the legality of it is not in question its usually the getting there and doing it thats harder...

here is one interesting tidbit regarding panama and how it has flourished thanks to tourism

when I was there there was a government funded program that basically rented out little islands in the perlas archipielago to any foreign investor...it was something like 10 years for FREE...(the land) it had to be a business plan designed to creat jobs, local business and tourism

basically if you had 100k or whatever lying around you could do whatever you wanted down there make money and then after that time go on to your next venture...

on lease...

sound familiar? the end results are progress, tourism, investment, tax revenue, jobs, tourism related industry, art, etc...

if you dont think that is how countries make money smartly then I dont know what is

panama is eons ahead of other central american countries regarding tourism and its part of the reason they are so in boom

my cousin is currently living the dream there working for digicel...

thats another booming industry there, telecommunications

anywhoo

back to the secret society

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
When you have lived within 10 miles of the canal system for 15 years then you may understand.

my personal video of the flood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16I1RMdcc_k
live on the canal like I have and you will learn it.
Learning comes from reading the words of those living what you want to know.

dude you need a MIRROR

asap

Old 05-12-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
dude you need a MIRROR

asap
now who is incomprehensible?

Old 05-12-2014

you my friend are on a very privileged list starting

NOW!

Old 05-12-2014
Schooner Captain

good, I will not have the neanderthal responding to my intellectual posts

Old 05-12-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road

Now boys... am I going to have to separate you two...?
Old 05-12-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Stats comparing the Champlain ($15) Canal with the Panama ($1000+)Canal.

Panama locks: 1050' X 110' X 64' lift Troy Lock: 520' X 45' X 14' lift
Panama Canal: 85' lift 3 locks Champlain Canal 126' lift 12 locks

The Champlain Canal actually starts at the Whitehall lock.

If we compare via cu' of water, a Panama lock is 22 times larger than a Champlain lock. So, instead of $15, the cost should be $330. Just kidding.

I hear what you are saying about a commercial venture vs a state enterprise but my contention is that the PC should never have been allowed to be a completely for-profit operation when it was turned over. It, like many projects built by the public to benefit the public (of any and all nations) should be regulated to keep cost to a minimum and not allowed to operate like the highwaymen of the middle ages. I do think it is great that Panama is benefiting from this asset but believe the charges to ordinary sailors are excessive. It is an excessive amount for a lot of sailors to budget in on top of everything else. We're talking about that fictitious $500/mo, guy.

By the way, I actually feel guilty about paying only $15 to use the NYS canals:-)

And by the way, right about now there are probably more Maple Leaf flags on the Champlain Canal than Stars and Stripes. Does that qualify as "international?"

Last edited by smurphny; 05-12-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I have only done the Champlain Canal once when the Oswego/Erie were closed many years ago so my experience is further west. Same thing there, it was overwhelmingly maple left flags on the canal. If NYS were to close the canal (could happen) a lot of Canadian cruisers would have to go the long way - and pay $30 per lock on the St Lawrence.
Old 05-12-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post

By the way, I actually feel guilty about paying only $15 to use the NYS canals:-)
NYS thruway authority will accept donations. Blue and yellow paint of the correct tint is always helpful.

Old 05-12-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I have only done the Champlain Canal once when the Oswego/Erie were closed many years ago so my experience is further west. Same thing there, it was overwhelmingly maple left flags on the canal. If NYS were to close the canal (could happen) a lot of Canadian cruisers would have to go the long way - and pay $30 per lock on the St Lawrence.
A lot of the locks are in less than good shape too. There are some huge voids where concrete has fallen out. I've been through some of them that have malfunctioned, causing a wait until they got it working again. The financial impact on the lake businesses would be substantial if it were closed. Many sailors come to the lake in the summer from north (through the Richelieu/Chambly Canal) and south. There would undoubtedly be a big stink if they tried closing it. The maintenance has got to be expensive and it has somewhat fallen into disrepair along with the rest of NYS infrastructure.