Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Kept forgetting about a pic. Here's our new VHF-AIS receiver radio. You can see the AIS data for a nearby ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Voyaging on 0 per month-vhf_ais.jpg  
tgzzzz (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Mike, that blows the Hell out of a months cruising budget.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yeah I was going to say how much is that puppy? jajaja

the issue is for me at least ais is dependant and to a degree only helpful depending on where you cruise at...

for this coast of the pacific you need visuall aids and a good lookout always to be safe...ais would trully not be worth it...

again it solely depends on where you cruise...

id love it for the foggy san fran bay or similar congested areas...

aaaah to dream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 06-24-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

AIS... If it was not so costly, I may have it. When I buy my next radio next year, if they offer one with it for $50-100 more, then I will have it. I wish it was two way, with an option to turn it off, but I will not pay $600 so ships can see me then run me down. The truth is, we have to get out of their way, not vice versa. I do not like the idea thou, of being tracked. call me an old fool, but when I want to remain hidden, I want to be hidden.

Old 06-24-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Cost me $339.95 CND, which is about $315 US. A bit pricey, to be sure, but fog is a constant friend up here on the Great Lakes. And we're heading into a pretty congested commercial waterway (Lakes St. Clair, Erie and Ontario, plus the St. Lawrence Seaway). I really can't tell you if AIS will be useful for us -- yet. I'm going to find out though.

Personally, I'd rather have radar, but that was out of the budget. Plus, I don't have the time to install. Next season (I hope).

BTW, this is a receiver-only. No transmissions. I can see them, they can't see me. A transceiver system is more expensive, and a bit harder to install. And although it pains me to say this, I agree with UP here. I don't like the idea of transmitting my position to everyone out there.
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

for your area its great great buy

I dont think $315 is excessive, I actually thought it was much much more expensive

Im in the receiver only crowd, same goes for ssb and weather...although I did have fun sending emails on sailmail back in the day.

enjoy it!

peace

Old 06-24-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Instead of AIS, I'm gonna opt for the Lowrance 3G Radar system instead. Yeah, I know, it's $1,100, but I'm not leavin the money for the kids to squander - I'm gonna piss it away first.

Gary
MikeOReilly and DHusk like this.
Old 06-24-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Kept forgetting about a pic. Here's our new VHF-AIS receiver radio. You can see the AIS data for a nearby ship.
I'm intrigued, because I may get one of these.

Do you find that display usable? It's hard for me to see how it works exactly. It kind of looks like you're gettings swarmed by little rings.... "Hard to star/port??"

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-24-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I'm intrigued, because I may get one of these.

Do you find that display usable? It's hard for me to see how it works exactly. It kind of looks like you're gettings swarmed by little rings.... "Hard to star/port??"

MedSailor
They're a pretty good bang for the buck, IMHO... Why anyone wouldn't spend the few extra bucks for what is already a very good VHF to have AIS receive, is a mystery to me... Greatest enhancement to offshore safety and collision avoidance since the advent of radar, in my opinion, now available at a very reasonable cost...

Whether the display is "usable" is a relative term to some, I suppose... In a place like NY harbor, that screen can get a bit cluttered, but of course you can adjust the range to suit the situation. By selecting a target, it will give you range, bearing, speed and course of the target, usually its identity, CPA and time of CPA... The one thing it will NOT tell you is whether the target will pass ahead or astern of you, you have to determine that yourself...

Of course, for many of today's voyagers, that is a major failing of these types of units, they want to be able to SEE that on their plotter display, and have it figure that out for them :-)

There are ways to figure that out for yourself, of course... These things can actually be sort of fun to play with, but I suspect many out there today don't have a clue what they are :-)

Ahhh, wait - the day is saved...

Of course, there's an app for that :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...imoboard&hl=en
christian.hess likes this.
Old 06-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

jajaja good ole plotting board....had one scratched up many a time that I used in captains school and kept but never did get that much use in real life

nice!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.