Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1747Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Based on my limited exposure to this new tool, I agree with Jon's comments. I see this as a pretty inexpensive tool that can provide good info, but it still requires navigation work on my part to make it effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I'm intrigued, because I may get one of these.

Do you find that display usable? It's hard for me to see how it works exactly. It kind of looks like you're gettings swarmed by little rings.... "Hard to star/port??"
I really haven't used it yet, so I reserve the right to amend or change my mind, but the AIS function easily allows you to change the range setting, from 1 nm to 35 (I think that's it ... going from memory). In a cluttered area you'd have to reduce the range to make the visual useful. The visual is a relative scale of what's around you. It shows a COG vector for you and your targets, and the detailed info on each target gives the closest-point-of-approach (CPA) for all your targets. There is an alarm which can alert you if there is a predicted collision. You can also easily make a DSC VHF call to any target, using their name and ship info. This may be the most useful aspect of the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Instead of AIS, I'm gonna opt for the Lowrance 3G Radar system instead. Yeah, I know, it's $1,100, but I'm not leavin the money for the kids to squander - I'm gonna piss it away first.
Let us know how the new radar goes for you. I'll likely be installing radar next year for our run down the St. Lawrence and over to NFLD. I still haven't got my head around all the new 3G/4G digital radar systems. Love to hear how it goes.
Old 06-24-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

word Im all ears too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We are big fans of AIS both receive and transmit. We have noticed ships altering their course to avoid us at distances where we cannot even see the ship. We particularly noticed this going along the northern shore of the Dominican/Haiti which had a lot of traffic. We would see that we had a CPA with a ship of say 0.1 nm when we were 10 miles away and were keeping a close eye on things so that we could alter when we got closer. Ships would change their course by 2 or 3° until they were passed us and then resume their original course (they know from the AIS you are a sailboat). We had a ship off the coast of Venezuela call to complain that they had seen us on AIS at 15 miles or so but did not see our tricolour light until two miles (which is what the visibility should be as I remember).

Being able to call ships by name is truly wonderful. We had a big Maersk container ship coming right up our bum off the coast of Ecuador at noon on a lovely, sunny day. CPA was going to be a few feet. I was going to alter and thought what the hell let me give him a call. He answered first thing and I said I was the sailboat directly in front of him and asked what his passing intentions were. Nice Indian gentleman reacted with a shocked tone and started heading in the general direction of New Zealand (they were going south at the time). Clearly no one on the bridge was looking outside or at radar or AIS.

Nothing is perfect but it is nice to have the tools.
Old 06-25-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

aaaah nothing like being almost run over by a wall of steel

had that happen off puerto vallarta mexico...

no ais back then and no radar on our measly 28 footer, however we did have those dome reflectors

point being watches, its your responsibility, dont count on others to be on watch/lookout.
Group9 likes this.

Old 06-29-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
aaaah nothing like being almost run over by a wall of steel

had that happen off puerto vallarta mexico...

no ais back then and no radar on our measly 28 footer, however we did have those dome reflectors

point being watches, its your responsibility, dont count on others to be on watch/lookout.
I had one of those pucker times, almost getting run over by a barge/tow late one night, that obviously had no clue we were there.
christian.hess likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I had one of those pucker times, almost getting run over by a barge/tow late one night, that obviously had no clue we were there.
We had a couple of those moments a few years ago while moving our boat up through the Great Lakes to Lake Superior. Motoring through the narrowest of dredged sections, our engine would cut out and we'd be left with limited steerage. One section had us going between two islands. Of course, this was the time the engine died and a huge freighter caught up to us. We managed to keep out of its way in the canal that was barely wide enough to fit it alone. It felt like a city block passing us by ... and we were almost close enough to reach out and touch it.

BTW, I don't think the crew of this vessel ever saw us at all. They could easily have run us over and would have never noticed. Sobering indeed.
Old 06-30-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Mike how is everything man?
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostis View Post
Mike how is everything man?
Hi Kostis, things are moving along rather rapidly now. Most of the immediate projects are nearing completion. I just mounted the windvane yesterday. Today I have to service my outboard and little backup generator, then mount my windmill and finally provision. My wife delivered our car down to the yard we're heading for this year (in Lake Ontario), so we're fully committed. I hope to be gone within a week now.

I expect we're going to sail to a nearby anchorage, and just sit for a few days so we can relax. It's been so exhausting these last few weeks, what with all the projects. I'm sooooo looking forward to just getting away.
wind_magic and mrhoneydew like this.
Old 06-30-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Keep us (or at least me) informed. I am so jealous man. Best of luck
Old 06-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostis View Post
Keep us (or at least me) informed. I am so jealous man. Best of luck
Will do Kostis. I'll post when I can. Still here for another week though, so you're not rid of me yet .