Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Life man life!

The way I see it is if you earned an annual average of 10%, 2% would be for taxes, 4% would go in your pocket, and the last 4% would maintain your principal. How much would be needed and how far off is that pipedream?
Old 08-13-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vanguard in the states is a pretty solid investment house. Any others have experience with them?
I have few of the funds. They have not set the world ablaze but am satisfied for what they are.

Quote:
It sounds like you have a good grasp of investing Scott.
Ah... no, not really. I do keep up fairly well with world economies and read from 3-5 economic reports/papers on average daily just for fun.

Quote:
In your opinion, not to change the thread line, how much (minimum wise) would it take to cut the dock lines in this unstable economy?
Well, I think think that would be more specific to each individual. As the title of this thread suggests you can go with as little as $500 but is that voyaging? To me, that budget is more in regards to survival than voyaging. When I leave, and it will be fairly soon, I want to experience the destinations I travel to so it is going to cost more money.

I really can't give a definitive sum and as for an "unstable economy" we are in an era of low inflation and the political reality is that it is likely to be the case for the foreseeable future. I think that gives a measure of stability and could be utilised for individual economic benefit.

Sorry Andrew I couldn't give you an answer. I have thought about it and could not come up with one without being extremely long winded and/or getting into specifics about myself.
Andrew65 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2014

That's why I asked the question. I agree about the 500/mo idea. It probably can be done, but you better like rice, potatoes, and walking everywhere. Not really my way I'd like to cruise.
Old 08-13-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Andrew, much of this depends upon your individuals skills. For example, if you know how to fish, I really mean know how to fish, you can enjoy much better meals than rice and beans every day. How about broiled grouper, lobster, steamed shrimp, etc.. Lots of neat stuff in the sea to eat.

As for additional transportation, get off your arse, climb about an old fashioned bicycle, and pedal your way to the grocery store, liquor store, post office, etc... At age 71 I did this and really had a lot of fun along the way. I met lots of like minded folks at the stores, struck up some great friendships, some that have been keeping in touch for the past couple years.

When I needed extra money, I went back to my current profession of being an entertainer. The money I made in tops paid for my entire cockpit enclosure and still provided me sufficient funds to do lots of fishing trip/day sails in the Florida Keys and still had a lot of money left over to put gas in the tank to come back to Maryland, eat in fancy restaurants once a week, and spend some time watching other entertainers perform in the local bars and eateries.

I guess I'm very fortunate in that I can fix most everything on the boat. I can take care of the plumbing, wiring, and some engine problems without calling for help from a high-priced marina mechanic. Additionally, I've always been a very creative cook. Therefore, rice and beans were never on the menu of my boat during the entire six months I cruised to the sunny Florida Keys. The only thing I couldn't do was give myself a haircut - so I had to pay an attractive young lady at the marina to do that. She charged $10 and did a great job. And, she was among the best looking barbers I've ever been to.

As Clint Eastwood said "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Cheers,

Gary
Old 08-14-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

JA well said bud

now whats this with rice and beans being a bad thing?

dont get me started!

add a tortilla, avocado, some dry cheese and some cream and its a feast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-14-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Just had a lovely bean salad topped with our own fresh sprouts. Rice, cabbage and rutabaga curry for dinner ... what's wrong with rice and beans!?!

Today I'm baking bread and emptying our composting head. Not much lee to do as we wait out this 5-day blow up here in the North Channel (Lake Huron).
Old 08-14-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
That's why I asked the question. I agree about the 500/mo idea. It probably can be done, but you better like rice, potatoes, and walking everywhere. Not really my way I'd like to cruise.
Chicken. Pasta.
You can eat those, and be under $500 easy.
Supplement caught fish, and your far under budget.

Old 08-14-2014

Great, now I've really put my head on the block with you guys and deserve every wack. If you knew me better, you'd know that's all I basically eat to have money for outfitting to get out of this country.
I'd eat dog food if it meant getting a better winch handle.

My apologies Gary. What you wrote was well written.
Old 08-14-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
Great, now I've really put my head on the block with you guys and deserve every wack. If you knew me better, you'd know that's all I basically eat to have money for outfitting to get out of this country.
I'd eat dog food if it meant getting a better winch handle.

My apologies Gary. What you wrote was well written.
you are forgiven...

well at least the rice and beans on the stove say so

jaja

btw dog food is damn expensive, WHATCHA TALKING ABOUT WILLIS?
mrhoneydew and Andrew65 like this.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-14-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Andrew, no need to apologize. Old guys like me go on a rampage every once in a while, mainly because we're old and crazy, which is not all that bad, though.

After living aboard for 6 months, I know that I could live fairly well on just $500 a month if I lived on the hook someplace where it's relatively warm. Of course, when your health goes to Hell in a handbasket, which mine has during the past few months, that $500 won't go very far. I went to a pulmonary doctor a couple days ago, and just the tests he conducted on my lungs cost a little over $3,000 and only took 30 minutes to complete. And, a medication he gave me samples of cost $300 for a 20-day supply.

So, part of the equation of living aboard on $500 is remaining healthy till the day you die. Then if your friends want to see your smiling face looking up at them from a casket, add another $10,000 to $15,000 for the one day viewing and funeral. Of course, you could have your boney butt incinerated to dust for about $800 to $1,200, and have your friends dump the ashes in the open ocean. Can't dump them in Chesapeake Bay unless you get a hazardous waste permit! Can't even dump em in the back yard - legally.

The main reason I didn't stay on a mooring ball, or on the hook, which cost far less than a mooring ball, was I needed to move my music gear to and from the boat in a safe manner. Moving 250-pounds of music equipment, all of which is expensive electronics, in a 10-foot, inflatable dinghy is out of the question. Therefore, I opted to spend the extra bucks and tie up to the marina bulkhead, which was level with my deck. The cost, though, was outrageous, which is usually the case in tropical resort areas. $750 a month, plus electricity blows the Hell out of that $500 a month budget. However, with the music gear, I was able to recover the cost of dockage with just 2 to 3 days of playing at the local bars and restaurants.

Sue wish I were back there right now,

Gary