Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1664Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I cut the dock lines last July and have no intention of returning
I hope you can keep us updated from time to time. I want to know because I will need some type of real numbers and expectations. I like to use the knowledge of others. Example I tend to buy used proven boat types.
I do not know where my stopping point will be. I would have a hard time to pin point the beginning. I am sure some would laugh at me and say I have never started. I can laugh also, I am enjoying the moment.
peace,Lou
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Andrew,I do have a Yuloh and love it when It works. I sailed engineless for a year and a half before I had the Yuloh. That being said I'm still experimenting with the mount and keep swinging from ball to oar lock. I d love to see pictures of your mount. The second I have it up and running I'm loosing the motor. Nothing ruins the experience of sailing quicker thatn the sound and smell of an engine.
Old 01-04-2014

Lou, I will be posting that on my blog if you peek at it here and there. Since I am completing a refit everything on my boat is new so my costs might be less than others. I'm also psycho on maintaining my boat so things last me pretty long.
Old 01-04-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Andrew,I do have a Yuloh and love it when It works. I sailed engineless for a year and a half before I had the Yuloh. That being said I'm still experimenting with the mount and keep swinging from ball to oar lock. I d love to see pictures of your mount. The second I have it up and running I'm loosing the motor. Nothing ruins the experience of sailing quicker thatn the sound and smell of an engine.
I don`t get it. Why are you swing from ball to oar Lock?

The Mount I use is now a wooden Block mounted aft starboard with a wooded dole pin in it to take the sacrificial Block. The Block is about 10 inches long With drilled holes in it. The holes aren`t completely through the Block, but have way. I have the Block tied to the balancing point of the yuloh, but I think a slight blade Heavy point might work just a wee bit better. Both the pin and Block are sacrificial to save the yuloh from being chewed up.
This Winter I will Mount a galvinized pin on the aft deck to so the Block has something better to sit on, a more permanent fix. The pin is basically a stylish male part to a big barn door hingel which might just work.

I hope this gives you ideas, but will try to post some Pictures if I can figure out how. I ain`t never done it before.
Old 01-04-2014

A friend of mine uses a simple oar lock mounted on his stern and it works great on his 13k lb boat. I have been using a ball and have three holes on the Yuloh so I have three speeds. all my set ups have been clamped on for testing but I'm not sold on any yet. My taff rail is a work of art so I refuse to drill any holes till its perfect.
Old 01-04-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

"Sailing in US waters", so what is the budget for healthcare?
Old 01-04-2014

I refuse to sign up for obama care if that's what your asking, I pay cash when I need it. In the last 20 years I have spent less than 500 on health care. I prefer natural remedies. I'm sure this will bring up all sorts of what ifs. I don't believe in what if's or fear mongering. Just because I don't live beyond my means doesn't mean I don't have means.
Dirtyfloats likes this.
Old 01-04-2014
sunfish?junior?

Barefoot, I just checked out your blog. I am impressed ! Your boat is so nice ! It is blue water and still small? I am just learning sailing so help if I use the wrong terms . I have looked at Marks blog and if he sees this it is ok. I think it is great. It is not close to what I could see for myself. A cost beyond my means. I will have to apply this rule to my ambitions "Its not having what you want its wanting what you have." (Sheryl Crow.)
I now know what a yuloh is. I have a crazy plan to put oar locks on my Catalina-22 I want to make a part to drop into the winches as a oarlock. I just bought this Catalina . I have been crew on a C-22 at the local races. The boat I am on is lets say a challenge so we launch without an engine. I did a lot of skulling to and from the dock after the trailer launch We did win the summer series and I now have a pewter cup for a paper weight crew of the year, The skipper taught me a lot. I had fun but could care less about going in a circle around marks . Its a small lake but I want to see more of it.
Old 01-04-2014

I am her master and servant
FYI... I sailed a Catalina 25 in my younger days, 10,000 miles in her and loved every second of it. The best boat is the one you own.
Old 01-04-2014
sunfish?junior?

sooner or later we all need health care. It is only a question of who pays for it.
Lets not make this a health care debate. Lets stay on topic. Can we surfice to say Barefoot budget for health care is below what most of us might feel comfortable about.
could all of us list some kind of health care budget and please give or take $200 that way we can tell all the tales the way you want to lets go no politics.
My health care comes out in union dues. 5 % of gross pay Not all 5% goes to health care other fringes are also involved. Care cost are about $600 a month family plan if I would have to self pay. I can go three months without work and it is paid then I must go back to work. I can self pay or go without health care coverage. If I decided to go without I must wait until a Jan enrollment There goes the $500 a month cruise budget
Good Day, Lou