Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1664Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
OK, so basically you see 3 advantages (not unrelated): (1) When in manual backup mode, it is easier to use (lever vs winch-handle). (2) Easier to tail rope. (3) Easier to take chain off the gypsy if necessary.

All three make sense. I suppose these should be weighed against the better contact between chain and gypsy for a vertical.

And Omatako makes a good argument for verticals (usability in all direction) which is applicable for a windlass on the stern. But he clearly is also very happy with his horizontal one on the bow.

Thank you for the education, I always like to learn new things.
A horizontal windlass can have "usability in all directions" (good phrase) with the help of a snatch block off the anchor roller, or even a loop of large diameter rope used as a snatch block.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 01-24-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014

pdjb is on a distinguished road

hey there sailor,,,I am in everett.wa. living on Irwin 28ft, I just retired and am drawing ss on 900.00 a month, but have a little in the bank also....It can be done..but the way the president in talking it is going to get worst .my plan is to sail down to Mexico and get away from all this bull if you know what I mean...just want to live a little and see the world before I die....u go and enjoy life
Group9 likes this.
Old 01-24-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
hey there sailor,,,I am in everett.wa. living on Irwin 28ft, I just retired and am drawing ss on 900.00 a month, but have a little in the bank also....It can be done..but the way the president in talking it is going to get worst .my plan is to sail down to Mexico and get away from all this bull if you know what I mean...just want to live a little and see the world before I die....u go and enjoy life
From another thread yours is a 1964, right? I have [edit: I had] a '64 Victory 21. They really built them solid back then. I think they didn't know how strong fiberglass was going to be, so they made them extra thick!

Regards,
Brad
christian.hess likes this.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 01-24-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
From another thread yours is a 1964, right? I have a '64 Victory 21. They really built them solid back then. I think they didn't know how strong fiberglass was going to be, so they made them extra thick!

Regards,
Brad

mostly resin but still! much prefer that then thin cored whatchamacallit! jaja

my dad who was handicapped rigged an old plastic classic the challenger 24 by columbia, it was so thick and well built I had dreams to sail that boat first as a kid kind of like robin graham down south to el salvador...

but I got a bigger old woodie instead that served me just as well

go small youll enjoy the surroundings much better, plus maintenenance is minimal and cheap
Brent Swain likes this.

Old 01-24-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
From another thread yours is a 1964, right? I have [edit: I had] a '64 Victory 21. They really built them solid back then. I think they didn't know how strong fiberglass was going to be, so they made them extra thick!

Regards,
Brad
it was not so much they did not know how strong 'glass was.. it was that boaters didn't trust anything thinner than the wooden boats they were used to.

my 63 Sea Sprite has extremely thick glass.. in many ways, just as thick as if she had been planked in wood
Brent Swain likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 01-28-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I just read in a sporting magazine that the Kiwis have realized that the human population there is simply not large enough to deal with such tasty invasive species as deer, elk and wild boars. So they have eliminated all license fees for hunting. Its open season all year round ,no bag limit. They are hoping foreign visitors will hunt there, to reduce the overpopulation of such tasty morsels . They say 50% of the country is crown land, open for hunting. While they still have that sublime stupidity called gun control ,and crossbows are illegal there, any yachtie arriving with a long bow or compound bow, and a canner, can sail away form there with his caning jars full of venison and pork , several years supply if he comes prepared. I have been told their caning jars and their lids are slightly different from what we use , but if you are very careful ,you can get the lids to work on our jars. Much wiser would be to bring along a huge supply of our lids, altho friends have reused them many times ,by boiling them before re-use.
Apple juice can reduce gaminess.

You should do your archery practice and canning practice before you leave.
mrhoneydew and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

dont tell anyone(jeje) but I was with some spaniards that did some fine wild pig hunting in polynesia...

wont say where or when but they said it was FUN...they did it with locals who were more than happy to share their traditions...

I was vegetarian at the time!

oh the humanity! I missed out for sure.............................................. ........

Old 01-28-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I just read in a sporting magazine that the Kiwis have realized that the human population there is simply not large enough to deal with such tasty invasive species as deer, elk and wild boars. So they have eliminated all license fees for hunting. Its open season all year round ,no bag limit. They are hoping foreign visitors will hunt there, to reduce the overpopulation of such tasty morsels . They say 50% of the country is crown land, open for hunting. While they still have that sublime stupidity called gun control ,and crossbows are illegal there, any yachtie arriving with a long bow or compound bow, and a canner, can sail away form there with his caning jars full of venison and pork , several years supply if he comes prepared. I have been told their caning jars and their lids are slightly different from what we use , but if you are very careful ,you can get the lids to work on our jars. Much wiser would be to bring along a huge supply of our lids, altho friends have reused them many times ,by boiling them before re-use.
Apple juice can reduce gaminess.

You should do your archery practice and canning practice before you leave.
That sounds like fun I'm a lifetime bow hunter and been canning meats and fish all my life
Just need a bigger cargo sailing vessel 5 bucks a jar

Old 01-28-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That sounds like fun I'm a lifetime bow hunter and been canning meats and fish all my life
Just need a bigger cargo sailing vessel 5 bucks a jar
There would be a market with cruisers at $5 jar. But i bet the price would be far higher.

Its very difficult to get good preserved meat products. None in the supermarket, thats for sure.
tdw likes this.
Old 01-28-2014

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

hey if u put marine in the name you could probably make that 5 dollar meat 150 bucks and get away with it. just like west marine.
seafrontiersman likes this.