Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Bacalao I believe it is called and even I will admit that reconstituted dried cod will make a very tasty dish indeed but the Iberians are masters of the art. If you are going to dry fish you do need to make sure you choose the right species. Cod is good cos it is a good solid fleshy critter.

I'm not going near your sex life but I do know that I'd not swap the worst sex I've ever had for fried Spam.
Why yes professor, the dish is called "Fritattas de Bacalao" but I didn't want to seem like a pedantic jerk flaunting my admittedlylimited command of Spanish. I should think that any mild fish would be a good candidate but I'm no expert.

FYI: Good old 'Made in USA" SPAM is SO much better than that Vegimite stuff! I've always wondered how a nation which makes the best rum in the world could go so VERY wrong!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafrontiersman View Post
Why yes professor, the dish is called "Fritattas de Bacalao" but I didn't want to seem like a pedantic jerk flaunting my admittedlylimited command of Spanish. I should think that any mild fish would be a good candidate but I'm no expert.

FYI: Good old 'Made in USA" SPAM is SO much better than that Vegimite stuff! I've always wondered how a nation which makes the best rum in the world could go so VERY wrong!
Jaysus, lighten up ffs. You don't just have a chip on your shoulder mate you have the entire effing potato.
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-29-2014

robertluster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
" I was penniless with a half stocked boat and found finding work here and there to be quite easy

I know there will be naysayers but what I'm really looking for is positive experiences of voyaging on a budget.

I'd love to hear about the "work here and there to be quite easy" - positive stories about how it's done are always interesting and welcome
Old 01-29-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The French like their meat undercooked ,in fact raw, slightly browned, on the outside only. The result is they have 30 times the food poisoning rate of the rest of the world.

I was given some canned pork. 90 minutes at 280 degrees had floated all the fat off it, and it was easily removed before eating.

I have accidentally dropped a bit of canned venison on the floor and it dried rock hard. Maybe drying after cooking would be an option.

I have read that you can dry eggs by cooking them first, then breaking them up ,drying and crumbling the cooked ,dried eggs.
Drying oysters is easy, and they keep forever ,for stews etc.
I have dried a lot of fish at sea.
Mmmm --- good old powdered eggs omelets, Navy style --- they start turning green after the 3rd day so eat up --- green eggs and ham is not so appetizing as you might hope.

The stroganoff & turkey tetrazzini are pretty good & these guys sometimes have bargains on bulk buys.

** Click the Pic **
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

dried or salt cod is great...but not found everywhere...

hence my dry cured tuna recipe which can be made anywhere especially on a 2 week plus voyage

we make bacalao croquetas at the restaraunt as a specialty item...at the tapas bar nice with some classic tomato sauce or saffron aioli! hell yeah!

mmmmmmmmmmmm! yum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 01-29-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bacalao is fairly common down this way and I'd have thought dried fish would be available in most of Asia. Though except for recipes hat call for it .... Bacalao Tortilla is a great example ... I'm not sure why anyone would go for dried fish when so much fresh seafood is available at quite reasonable prices or you could even catch it yourself.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-29-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

I do not understand how one can cruise on $500 per month when the clearing in fees for many places such as the Bahamas are $350 to $500. Unless cruising does not involve leaving the United States. Am I missing something?

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 01-29-2014

yes you are missing something, unless on a huge time constraint you dont check into countries every month... like mentioned many times before when at sea or on some reef or anchorage where money is not needed or usefull you dont spend 500 or any for that matter, thats why cruising budgets done in a monthly manner like you would on land are not really objective...or that useful
Bene505 and RoryP23 like this.

Old 01-29-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertluster View Post

I'd love to hear about the "work here and there to be quite easy" - positive stories about how it's done are always interesting and welcome
I've been able to find work all over the world but on this occasion I was in the US I sailed into a bay I had never had any desire to visit. It turned out to be so wonderful I came back and am wintering here. Within a day on the island a got a job that I was completely unqualified for paying $25 per hour for easy fun work. Pretty boring right This year I'm going to try my luck at photographing boats for people. Way too much money in this part of the world.
Bene505 and christian.hess like this.

Old 01-29-2014

you lucky b....

25 an hour huh...

thats like a million us salvadorean dolars! ajajajaja

save up my friend save up and come on down

christian
barefootnavigator likes this.