Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1809Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

off topic - my heritage is of the Amish,it's not what is represented on TV. I can assure you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

as per voyaging, I've not sailed aboard my own. vessel outside of the US. so I can only speak of my experience.
I've found an abundance of odd job opportunity in the course of my travel often without looking. even during the last 5-7 years when the economy has been less than stellar.
often the work only entails a couple days or weeks allowing me to sail on,to another anchorage.
when met with opposition or unfavorable regulations I simply don't stay,why would I?
also, once you get into the habit of that lifestyle it comes more naturally, just like most any habit.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 01-30-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

that IS one thing I miss about the states...man every town had either a bike shop or chandlery or carpentry shop wahetever...even a library or coffee shop were odd jobs coud be found

stuff like that is hard to do outside...not all countries can offer that much in the way if unskilled labor job opportunities

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 01-30-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
that IS one thing I miss about the states...man every town had either a bike shop or chandlery or carpentry shop wahetever...even a library or coffee shop were odd jobs coud be found

stuff like that is hard to do outside...not all countries can offer that much in the way if unskilled labor job opportunities
Not to mention that in most countries outside the US you are prohibited from working unless you acquire a work visa

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 01-30-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I'm also curious about this question of working while underway. As svzephyr44 says, all countries require work visas for foreign nationals (even the US, I assume). Do people get such visas when they take on a job, or do you try and work under the legal radar?
Lou452 likes this.
Old 01-30-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Even meats can last for a year or more. The key is to get the fat out. It is fat that goes rancid, so using lean cuts is key.
I have dried meat for backpacking. I drain the fat off when cooking and drying, then when reconstituting it I add some olive oil to replace the fat that was earlier lost. Olive oil transports well and takes a long time to go bad, and it adds a lot of flavor to a dish.
Bene505 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

I've always been jealous of those that have the time to actually sail everywhere they go. To me this is reason enough to go low buck. If it means you get to get some beer when you get to port or do you have to spend the money on fuel. No contest here, get those sails up mate or you'll be walking the plank ARRRRGGGHHH
Old 01-30-2014

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post

You'd better be careful praising the evil United States here!

"OY! You're fookin' Baaaand Mate"

LOL...

Last edited by seafrontiersman; 01-30-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Rather not be banned by TDW for speaking out for my beloved country.
Old 01-30-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

about 20 pages back or midway jajja(man this thread flies) a lot of us were talking about job opprtunities and way to make a buck or 2 by not going under the radar if you will or getting a work visa

particualrily doing work for other cruisers and or communities...or even in exhange for goods

etc...

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 01-30-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I'm also curious about this question of working while underway. As svzephyr44 says, all countries require work visas for foreign nationals (even the US, I assume). Do people get such visas when they take on a job, or do you try and work under the legal radar?
Mike... I have officially worked in two foriegn countries with work visas...

For China... the company I worked for had to send the government of China a 'reason and skillset' in order to get an 'invitation' to work there, this letter was then sent to the American Embassy in order to get the visa to work in China... I was then able to show this letter along with visa at Chinese customs to get the proper stamps on the passport and to take to the local police dept (they too track you there while my stay in Shanghai) both when you leave and return to China... I did this 3 times... also the tax implications as an exPat follows you... over 183 days in China you pay taxes to the Chinese government... that along with IRS taxes... no win here except the Foriegn Tax Credit IRS credits you.

For Montreal, I had to get a letter from my company to the company I worked for and this letter was taken to the border which I needed certified copies of my college degree/transripts to enter the country, they gave me a work visa for one year in the field of work I do (engineering)... but if the need for my particular skill was not needed in Montreal I would not have gotten the work visa.. the same over 183 days in Montreal, taxes in QC works the same.

I assume it is the same way with many countries but not sure how they do this with non skilled labor...

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitarguy56 For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (01-30-2014), seafrontiersman (01-30-2014)