Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here there are guest marinas that have free WiFi usually owned and operated by city or county gov I know some that charge ten bucks a day plus three for power and a couple that charge as little as $.50 per ft per day and that includes free showers state marine parks that charge the same but charge for the showers so ocasionaly in a marina yes but you are correct not if you do it everyday.
Wow .... I can only really speak of Sydney and Coastal NSW but such a critter simply does not exist down here. Years back when I was up north it seemed that most of the sailing/yacht clubs in smaller settlements offered free facilities to visiting boat's crews but I dare say those days are either long gone or don't include such niceties as free WiFi. Free btw only if you anchored out, not free berths or moorings.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I use libraries for internet access, which are free, as well as other free sites. I traded some work for my last computer ,which cost the buyer $100. This one cost me $140. Internet is not all that expensive here.
I also get a lot of abuse for suggesting simpler, more affordable ways of doing things. In the process they also abuse those who could benefit from such information, by trying to discourage people from making it available to low income cruisers. Those who stand to benefit could speak up a bit more .
joethecobbler and Dirtyfloats like this.
Old 02-01-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Wow .... I can only really speak of Sydney and Coastal NSW but such a critter simply does not exist down here. Years back when I was up north it seemed that most of the sailing/yacht clubs in smaller settlements offered free facilities to visiting boat's crews but I dare say those days are either long gone or don't include such niceties as free WiFi. Free btw only if you anchored out, not free berths or moorings.
I can't speak of the sailing down under at all the last time I was there was the early fall of 1990 and didn't have the opportunity to do any sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Just curious... A number of people of said they cruise on $500 per month (or $6,000 per year) because that is all the money they have. The US Federal poverty level for a single individual is an income less than $11,400 per year (2013) That would suggest such cruisers (if in the US) are eligible for Federal and State aid.

I can understand that disclosure of this kind would be a touchy subject. Also that just because one can does not mean one does take advantage of any particular program. But I am curious on two fronts:
1) Do cruisers take advantage of Federal (and State) assistance programs?
2) Does living on a boat create any particular challenge when taking advantage of such a program? I know that I have run afoul of various bureaucracies since my domicile and legal address is in Wisconsin, my mailing address is in New Jersey, and my residence address is wherever I happen to be.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 02-02-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
good lord, leaving barnaget in December /January !
I'm at a loss for words.
do you just plan to run nonstop or. do you plan to stop usually?
and why? are you just into it or? ??
Being in the yacht delivery business is not very conducive to getting my own boat south in a more timely fashion in the fall, I'm usually pretty busy running other people's boats well into December... My trips south can be pretty compressed affairs, as I generally try to be back home again by mid-April again, as well...

I usually try to run straight thru to Norfolk, inside to Beaufort/Morehead, then outside as much as possible from there... I used to be able to save a lot of time by staying outside to Oregon Inlet when the weather permitted, but unfortunately the present status of Oregon Inlet has made that route too risky for my taste, I don't even go that way with powerboats anymore.. That's a shame, because that route in a sailboat, in favorable conditions, can save a LOT of time, and engine hours...
joethecobbler and RoryP23 like this.
Old 02-02-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

awesome, after a couple ditch runs that route sounds appealing.
what about ocracoke inlet? ever do that one?
I've been in silver lake and inside to manteo.never been through the inlet, but looks enticing. black beard liked it.
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here there are guest marinas that have free WiFi usually owned and operated by city or county gov I know some that charge ten bucks a day plus three for power and a couple that charge as little as $.50 per ft per day and that includes free showers state marine parks that charge the same but charge for the showers so ocasionaly in a marina yes but you are correct not if you do it everyday.
Guess it's no surprise that the majority of the $500/Month Club here are from the PNW...:-) Pretty tough to find marina/dockage rates even remotely comparable to those anywhere on the East Coast, Newfoundland is the only place that comes to mind where I might have paid as little as $10/day for dockage (in a community where I was actually charged, that is)

Injecting a discussion of transient marina fees in a discussion of "Voyaging" on $500/month is really a bit silly, few expenditures are likely to blow such a budget more quickly than taking moorings, or paying for transient dockage...
Brent Swain and Dirtyfloats like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Injecting a discussion of transient marina fees in a discussion of "Voyaging" on $500/month is really a bit silly

Say what ??????????????????????????? Transient fees are 100% part of "voyaging"!
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
awesome, after a couple ditch runs that route sounds appealing.
what about ocracoke inlet? ever do that one?
I've been in silver lake and inside to manteo.never been through the inlet, but looks enticing. black beard liked it.
I've gone out Hatteras Inlet a few times years ago, but have only been thru Ocracoke once, probably 20 years ago, with a 49' Grand Banks trawler... At that time, I vowed "never again", it was pretty sketchy... :-)

But Ocracoke has improved considerably, since then, or so I've heard, so I wouldn't rule it out... If I were sailing my own boat to the Virgin Islands, for example, I'd consider jumping off from Ocracoke or Hatteras (after having scoped out either inlet again beforehand, of course), such a point of departure would get you across the Stream very quickly. but, when heading down the coast, going out of Ocracoke doesn't really gain you much of an advantage. Plus, I really like both Beaufort and Morehead anyway, if I have to sit anywhere for a bit to wait for weather, or do any provisioning, etc, there are few better places to be...

The primary concern I'd have about Ocracoke nowadays, is that since the closure of the CG station there years ago, the marking of the channel is not likely to be updated as frequently as it once was... You'd be more heavily dependent upon local knowledge now, it would seem very unwise to consider using Ocracoke without checking with the charter boat captains at the Anchorage first...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-02-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Guess it's no surprise that the majority of the $500/Month Club here are from the PNW...:-) Pretty tough to find marina/dockage rates even remotely comparable to those anywhere on the East Coast, Newfoundland is the only place that comes to mind where I might have paid as little as $10/day for dockage (in a community where I was actually charged, that is).
Injecting a discussion of transient marina fees in a discussion of "Voyaging" on $500/month is really a bit silly, few expenditures are likely to blow such a budget more quickly than taking moorings, or paying for transient dockage...
Yes, obviously the only way to keep the expenditures low is to anchor out and avoid marina costs like the plague. But I'm glad to hear NFLD is a cheaper place to play. We expect to be sailing The Rock by 2015/16.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.