Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I've gone out Hatteras Inlet a few times years ago, but have only been thru Ocracoke once, probably 20 years ago, with a 49' Grand Banks trawler... At that time, I vowed "never again", it was pretty sketchy... :-)

But Ocracoke has improved considerably, since then, or so I've heard, so I wouldn't rule it out... If I were sailing my own boat to the Virgin Islands, for example, I'd consider jumping off from Ocracoke or Hatteras (after having scoped out either inlet again beforehand, of course), such a point of departure would get you across the Stream very quickly. but, when heading down the coast, going out of Ocracoke doesn't really gain you much of an advantage. Plus, I really like both Beaufort and Morehead anyway, if I have to sit anywhere for a bit to wait for weather, or do any provisioning, etc, there are few better places to be...

The primary concern I'd have about Ocracoke nowadays, is that since the closure of the CG station there years ago, the marking of the channel is not likely to be updated as frequently as it once was... You'd be more heavily dependent upon local knowledge now, it would seem very unwise to consider using Ocracoke without checking with the charter boat captains at the Anchorage first...
I was going to head north out of Ocracoke last fall and had spoken with a couple of the fishing boat captains one of whom was going to lead me out. They confirmed that there was plenty of water if you stayed in the right places. They also confirmed that the marking could be really poor (they both told me that one of the markers . . . don't remember which) had broken loose and was laying on a sandbar for a week or more. I would be much more willing to consider going out of Ocracoke than coming in . . . both because you can pick your conditions and find a pro to follow through.
Old 02-02-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The last time I went through Hatteras and Oregon inlets was about 10 years ago in a 21-foot center console powerboat. Both inlets are no longer suitable for sailboats at all, they're not maintained and Oregon is currently nothing more than a ditch through the surf that constantly shifts to a new, often undisclosed, location. The tide ripping through Hatteras Inlet was such that most of the charter fishing and commercial fishing boats tend to avoid it unless the tide is slack - yeah, it's that bad.

I did find a nice anchorage behind the Hook at Cape Lookout, which is just a short hop to Beaufort Inlet. Beaufort Inlet was a piece of cake the last time I went through it.

As stated above, Marina hopping is very expensive - I should know. It kicked the Hell out of my budget last fall. And the only reason I went to those marinas was I was totally unprepared for the intense cold I encountered last October and November. I shivered through many days of sitting behind the helm, in a heavy coat, sweater, boots, gloves etc... with no one to give me a break at the helm so I could go below and warm up. The temperature was in the low 40s many days, and while that's above freezing, 10 hours of exposure, with some blustery winds will quickly chill you to the bone. If I do the ICW again in 20015 I WILL have a Honda 2000i generator onboard to run the boat's heat pump.

Gary :cool

Last edited by travlineasy; 02-02-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Say what ??????????????????????????? Transient fees are 100% part of "voyaging"!
Most people would agree with you, but I think you missed my point...

Keeping to the OP's assertion of the feasability of "Voyaging", and "Going Offshore" while sticking to such a low budget, I'm simply listing staying in marinas as one of numerous expenses that need to be seriously curtailed in order to do so... In order to sustain such a modest budget over the long haul, I just don't see how you do it without foregoing such things as insurance (both health, and for the boat), avoidance of things like Panama Canal transits, or visits to a place like the Galapagos, the use of paper charts in many regions, the maintenance of regular internet access, and so on... In many places, of course, marina or harbor fees can be very difficult to avoid, but they certainly need to be kept at an absolute minimum of one is indeed aspiring to be actually "Voyaging" to distant places/foreign countries on such a tight budget...
Brent Swain and Robbyn like this.
Old 02-02-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

SVZepher44 I am sure someone is doing it legit and someone is beating the system. Most of the time I would think that by the time you get down to $500 a month/ $6000 a year is all you have, you will not be sailing. Hand to mouth and destitute you will not be on a voyage. I am not sure who already said living under a bridge is not camping/backpacking and broke on the boat is not a cruise. I agree with that.
I feel a case can be made for low cost cruising and budgets but before one can do this they need a means to make it available. You would not have to have vast wealth but enough reserve or an escape path that will enable you to do so.
Less face it if you are in poor position and income it will cost you more to live. This sounds like a wild statement but think it over. You will not be able to hold out for a deal you will have to pay the "interest" and the cost of being poor. Your choice options and time will be limited. I know Barefoot will take me to task on time with an position that because you have less stuff you have more time.
I will give a quick example If you go to the doctor and you have medical insurance the insurance company gets a discount you will not get. You will be billed the cash price and it is higher than the discount rate that a more affluent person has to pay. You will not have the time luxury of an appointment. You will walk to an ER and sit for hours waiting and then will get the minimum care so you may be back the next week to repeat the whole deal like the movie Groundhog Day.
I do not want to start a medical debate or a rich, poor and why the world keeps turning debate. What I am trying to say is it is unlikely that in my land the USA. you can live on $500 unless you build a system that will support you first.
If you are Amish you have a system. If you lived like Dick Poenneke you have a system. If you are an 18 year old kid that has the boat and family that can and will bail you out if needed, you have a system. If you are member of some cult you might have a system. Barefoot may have a system. I do not think here in the USA. you can start at $500 and expect to obtain a boat worth $x
I say one needs a position of financial security before you can plan .
Good day, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 02-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2014

windnrock is on a distinguished road

Everybody has their own views on what it takes to make them comfortable or safe. Living on $500 a month is not a unfeasible task. There are people who are frightened at the prospect of living on less than a few millions a year and there are folks in some countries who get by on a few dollars a month. If you can be happy and reasonably safe, what matters the cost or lack thereof? Next time I stuff my face with lobster I caught, for free, I don't expect any pity!
Old 02-02-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
a
what about Ocracoke inlet? ever do that one?
I have run it in a center console with a depth sounder. I would not touch it in my sailboat without a very calm day and a lead boat running depth profiles ahead of my bow. Your mileage may vary
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 02-02-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnrock View Post
Everybody has their own views on what it takes to make them comfortable or safe. Living on $500 a month is not a unfeasible task.
This will be my last post on this thread. I feel like we are flogging a dead horse.

My point, and I repeat it (the devil made me do it!) is that if the title of this thread were "Living Aboard for $500 per month" I most likely would not have even joined the discussion. But the title is "Voyaging on $500 per Month." I do not consider "Living Aboard" and "Voyaging" to be synonyms. When I tired to "Voyage" on $800 per month I quickly learned it was impossible (for me.) So I went to "Living Aboard" until I was able to afford "Voyaging." Yes, people have different perspectives of their financial needs and standards of living. They also have different perspectives of what are valid life styles. If you want to live with a bow, flint and steel, and a knife in the woods go for it. But when your uninsured boat drags into mine and I have to pay for the repairs, or when you can't pay your medical bills so I have to pay more for mine, or when I have to tow you into shore (or pay for a Coast Guard to do the same) because your old sails blew out and you can't navigate then I reject your lifestyle choices. And yes, my wallet has paid for every one of these examples.

OUT

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 02-02-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
This will be my last post on this thread. I feel like we are flogging a dead horse.

My point, and I repeat it (the devil made me do it!) is that if the title of this thread were "Living Aboard for $500 per month" I most likely would not have even joined the discussion. But the title is "Voyaging on $500 per Month." I do not consider "Living Aboard" and "Voyaging" to be synonyms. ...
I'm not sure it's worth responding to your comments since you've promised to leave the discussion, but also because they are silly, anal, and a tad insulting.

Silly b/c your perspective is hyperbolic and ridiculous. When you start claiming people need to "live with a bow, flint and steel, and a knife in the woods" to travel inexpensively, you're clearly just working the room for laughs.

Anal, b/c you seem to predicate everything on your way is the only way. If people don't "voyage" they way you define it, then it isn't voyaging, therefore this whole discussion is bunk. Chill out buddy. There as many ways to "voyage" as their are cruisers.

And insulting b/c you appear to equate low cost cruising with someone being irresponsible and a drain on you the righteous, and right-minded, taxpayer. ... Or were you going for more laughs here .

We get it. You tried, and failed. I appreciate your sharing this. It's good to have real experiences on all sides. But just b/c you couldn't do it, doesn't mean others can't. And beyond this, the point of this discussion is to share ideas about how to cruise inexpensively. Cruising at $800/month is great. Why not discuss how you managed that?
Old 02-02-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Not trying to inflame this thread I think I am risking doing just that by saying I agree with many of Mike's comments.
If you watched Dick's movies when he was off in the woods with his knife he managed quite well. The Amish seem to have it figured out. No starving diet in these two examples.
Not a life style choice for me. I can learn about how they save without living it.
I also was able to read about a house in Popular Science. This house made its own water power heat and air with food production. It may have been a billon dollar house. To live in it you would need less than $500 a month ? This might fit for me ?
Good day, Lou
The Following User Says Thank You to Lou452 For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (02-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Yes, well I did say with a few exceptions .

I've heard that free wifi hotspots are becoming harder to find. Those of you out there ... what are you finding? Are free wifi spots on the wane?
Mike,

Free WIFI abounds in Asia, every cafe, bar, restaurant, girly bar,barber shop has it. In some anchorages we can pick up the signal while anchored.

Subscription type plans are available for usually around 30 bucks a month.

I got a FREE sim cel phone card with 10 Baht, a tourist promo to call home. Calls to the USA are around 3 cents a minute. I struggle to spend 10 bucks a month on phone use age

Kids here can recharge cel phones for a little as 5 baht (15 cents).

Telcoms are making huge money off you folks. great dividends on the stocks too....

OK, so you want to know what 500 bucks a month got us last year?

Marina Berth 130.00 (100 Malaysian Ringit per week) ( free wifi included) + a 50 Ringit restaurant voucher per week. Good for a Pizza, Burger and two soft drinks. Other cruisers left to travel and gave us additional vouchers.... we had some fun times taking people out dinner....for FREE.

Gym membership 100.00 We were getting ready to trek in Nepal so spent the afternoons training in the Gym.

30-35 dollars a week in the local wet market for fresh food, meat fruit veggies.

The rest was spent on eating out, bus rides, local touring and a few drinks around town.

Nor sure we even spent the entire 500.00

All I do know is in Asia it is Possible! You don't have to live like a bum, be a skin flinnt or look like a destitute 1st world sailor.

As I said in an earlier post, You guys gotta a get out a bit......

I'll give you and update what the last three months have cost....for cruising in some of the best waters in the world.
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
elkinjohn (08-25-2014)