Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1833Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

How many Mc'donald s are out in the world ? Everyone I have visited has free internet the Public library I am sure others can name more hot spots.
Still I think if you are out on less than $500 internet might not be worth it to your life style, Why would you need to hear what Bill Gates and Microsoft are doing or what Justin Beaver's latest stunt happens to be ? A game of Chess Or getting a fish on the line might mean more than a half hour on the PC. Your view of the world might be so totally different.
Good Day, Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Just curious... A number of people of said they cruise on $500 per month (or $6,000 per year) because that is all the money they have. The US Federal poverty level for a single individual is an income less than $11,400 per year (2013) That would suggest such cruisers (if in the US) are eligible for Federal and State aid.

I can understand that disclosure of this kind would be a touchy subject. Also that just because one can does not mean one does take advantage of any particular program. But I am curious on two fronts:
1) Do cruisers take advantage of Federal (and State) assistance programs?
2) Does living on a boat create any particular challenge when taking advantage of such a program? I know that I have run afoul of various bureaucracies since my domicile and legal address is in Wisconsin, my mailing address is in New Jersey, and my residence address is wherever I happen to be.
Mine is via disability and I am eligible for 187 a month in USDA food assistance you just need to prove a mailing address and a pmb or po box does that its however only useable in the state that it was issued in. Here's a link to check eligibility Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | Food and Nutrition Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Wow .... I can only really speak of Sydney and Coastal NSW but such a critter simply does not exist down here. Years back when I was up north it seemed that most of the sailing/yacht clubs in smaller settlements offered free facilities to visiting boat's crews but I dare say those days are either long gone or don't include such niceties as free WiFi. Free btw only if you anchored out, not free berths or moorings.
The entire island of Rarotonga is covered by free wifi. Everywhere. No passwords no fees, no licences.

Out amongst the islands, the wifi is often government funded because many residents can't afford it. It is likely to expand.
tdw, newhaul and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Mike,

Free WIFI abounds in Asia, every cafe, bar, restaurant, girly bar,barber shop has it. In some anchorages we can pick up the signal while anchored.

Subscription type plans are available for usually around 30 bucks a month.

I got a FREE sim cel phone card with 10 Baht, a tourist promo to call home. Calls to the USA are around 3 cents a minute. I struggle to spend 10 bucks a month on phone use age

Kids here can recharge cel phones for a little as 5 baht (15 cents).

Telcoms are making huge money off you folks. great dividends on the stocks too....

OK, so you want to know what 500 bucks a month got us last year?

Marina Berth 130.00 (100 Malaysian Ringit per week) ( free wifi included) + a 50 Ringit restaurant voucher per week. Good for a Pizza, Burger and two soft drinks. Other cruisers left to travel and gave us additional vouchers.... we had some fun times taking people out dinner....for FREE.

Gym membership 100.00 We were getting ready to trek in Nepal so spent the afternoons training in the Gym.

30-35 dollars a week in the local wet market for fresh food, meat fruit veggies.

The rest was spent on eating out, bus rides, local touring and a few drinks around town.

Nor sure we even spent the entire 500.00

All I do know is in Asia it is Possible! You don't have to live like a bum, be a skin flinnt or look like a destitute 1st world sailor.

As I said in an earlier post, You guys gotta a get out a bit......

I'll give you and update what the last three months have cost....for cruising in some of the best waters in the world.
Yes, I was certainly impressed at the 'affordability' of Thailand when I was there about 6 years ago, a cruiser's dollar can go a very long way where you are...

However, such cruising destinations appear to be somewhat the exception, rather than the rule, these days... Good luck getting the same bang for your buck in places like the Eastern Caribbean, most of N America, the Med/Baltic/all of Europe, just to name a few... :-)
Old 02-03-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yes, I was certainly impressed at the 'affordability' of Thailand when I was there about 6 years ago, a cruiser's dollar can go a very long way where you are...

However, such cruising destinations appear to be somewhat the exception, rather than the rule, these days... Good luck getting the same bang for your buck in places like the Eastern Caribbean, most of N America, the Med/Baltic/all of Europe, just to name a few... :-)
All good reason to skip the 1st world. Sumatra is looking good in a few weeks....
tdw likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
How many Mc'donald s are out in the world ? Everyone I have visited has free internet the Public library I am sure others can name more hot spots.
Hmmm, not many McD's in places like the Bahamas, for instance, last time I was there... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Still I think if you are out on less than $500 internet might not be worth it to your life style, Why would you need to hear what Bill Gates and Microsoft are doing or what Justin Beaver's latest stunt happens to be ? A game of Chess Or getting a fish on the line might mean more than a half hour on the PC. Your view of the world might be so totally different.
Good Day, Lou
I think you're overlooking the utility and importance of internet access for many cruisers, today... Obtaining weather info, keeping in touch with family/aging parents, and so on... Oh, and ordering replacement parts for watermakers... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
The entire island of Rarotonga is covered by free wifi. Everywhere. No passwords no fees, no licences.

Out amongst the islands, the wifi is often government funded because many residents can't afford it. It is likely to expand.
Yes, that's the case in a place like Newfoundland, as well...

But in many more popular cruising destinations, it seems to be increasingly difficult to find free wifi... The Bahamas are a good example, I've found your best chances of doing so are in the more remote spots... Places where cruisers gather in droves, the Abacos, Georgetown/Exumas, etc seem to have gone almost exclusively to for profit subscription services, a free unsecured connection can be all but impossible to find...
Old 02-03-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmm, not many McD's in places like the Bahamas, for instance, last time I was there... :-)

I think you're overlooking the utility and importance of internet access for many cruisers, today... Obtaining weather info, keeping in touch with family/aging parents, and so on... Oh, and ordering replacement parts for watermakers... :-)

But in many more popular cruising destinations, it seems to be increasingly difficult to find free wifi... The Bahamas are a good example, I've found your best chances of doing so are in the more remote spots... Places where cruisers gather in droves, the Abacos, Georgetown/Exumas, etc seem to have gone almost exclusively to for profit subscription services, a free unsecured connection can be all but impossible to find...
Yep, too many cruisers trying to do it on 500 a month and ruining all the freebies.....I'll keep some secrets....you'll just have to go and find them.
Like the place that pulled my mast for 30 bucks and no hard stand charge....
christian.hess likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-03-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Didn't see a single one of those damn Mickey D's when I was in Cape Verde either! Was quite a welcome relief.

And of 16 (or is it 17?) countries I've been too, that was the hardest place I've been to use a US dollar. Most places they'll take it and give you change in the local currency even if it's not a great exchange rate. But it was almost impossible there w/o going to the bank to change to Escudo's. Fortunately others on the boat had plenty of Euros. That works.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-03-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

ive been dying to go to cape verde for so long

we love cesarea evora....and listened to her all over the world on the spanish boat I was on

trully one of my next places on the list!

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-03-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you mean even the more remote NFLD outports have open wifi access Jon? Most of the island is remote and lightly populated. Kinda an amusing image to think about old-school newfie fisher folk sitting around the docks checking their iPhones .