Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Do you mean even the more remote NFLD outports have open wifi access Jon? Most of the island is remote and lightly populated. Kinda an amusing image to think about old-school newfie fisher folk sitting around the docks checking their iPhones .

Well I didn't have a Smartphone at the time, but I don't believe there was WiFi in Quirpon, NFLD 4 years ago when I was there. Didn't ask when I was at St. Anthony airport either. Maybe things have changed.

(BTW, I loved it!)
Old 02-04-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you mean even the more remote NFLD outports have open wifi access Jon? Most of the island is remote and lightly populated. Kinda an amusing image to think about old-school newfie fisher folk sitting around the docks checking their iPhones .
We were deep up a river in Borneo, anchored in front of a traditional long house community. Friendly folks involved in subsistence living activities. drank some great rice wine and showed them how I made beer on the boat, shared a few liters with them too.

Funniest thing was the young kids in tattered clothing checking out their facebook pages...all by wireless. Remote getting harder to find these days.
MikeOReilly and RoryP23 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I seem to recall all of the populated settlements I visited along the south coast did, with the possible exception of Grand Bruit...

However, GB was in the process of becoming officially 'abandoned' by the government, the coastal steamer was no longer gonna be stopping there after the next year... A few residents might still return each summer, but they're on their own, and such towns are no longer supported by the Provincial government...

I wasn't always able to connect from the boat, in harbors like McCallum I had to get closer to the community center or library where the wifi signal originated... It's obviously not everywhere, yet, but at least along the south coast, it can generally be found if you need it...

Broadband Internet access | Live Rural Newfoundland & Labrador
newhaul likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Here's a pretty good artical from yahoo that seems relevent to this thread

Why this millennial quit his 6-figure job and gave away most of his possessions - Yahoo Finance
Old 02-04-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

JohnEisberg and sailordave Thanks for the post. I am waiting for the snow to melt so I can get back to learning about sailing with a boat in the water. I did enjoy the ordering parts for the water maker
I think you have a good point on weather and using navigation, e mail or Skype once you own a pc it is paid for. The PC has no monthly bill. Bills that occur every month will be hard to justify.
I do not know much about AIS and I think gizmos no matter how nice will blow a budget. Cell phone , and such. What is needed ?
Would the Bahamas be on this is far to expensive for
$500 a month ?I would have thought them to be a huge expense because so many talk about them.
Thanks to all , Lou
Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

I have prepaid cell and even with unlimited everything only fifty includes internet on phone and don't know initial cost of ais unit but once installed only expense would be what's spent to generate the power to recharge batteries they are available for 12 volt installations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I realise this will vary depending on where you sail but I'd much rather have a Chart plotter that is AIS enabled than Radar.
RoryP23 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-04-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
SVZepher44
I feel a case can be made for low cost cruising and budgets but before one can do this they need a means to make it available. You would not have to have vast wealth but enough reserve or an escape path that will enable you to do so.
Less face it if you are in poor position and income it will cost you more to live. This sounds like a wild statement but think it over. You will not be able to hold out for a deal you will have to pay the "interest" and the cost of being poor. Your choice options and time will be limited.
I think this is a very valid point to make. $6,000 a year is poverty. People get trapped in poverty, lose all of their financial resources and sink to subsistence living. If you want to go cruising and can only scrounge up $6,000 a year you need to carefully consider the ramifications before you quit the day job and sail off into the sunset. Clearly, after all has been posted here, there are many variables that will determine what will be your real costs. But, if you want to test the $500 a month theory, you need to have an emergency fund that will get you home and back in the workforce and do not use those funds to fix the boat or buy another month or so in paradise.
Over the last few years I have watched an acquaintance spend down his financial resources while cruising through life. When the handwriting was on the wall, he tried working, but only lasted a few weeks at McDonald's, lost his apartment, moved in with his aging parents, and now his car has failed. This is an intelligent person with a college degree, he just never adjusted to the world as we know it. He might have done better in a low cost area of the world, but I think the end would be the same. He is trapped in poverty and as a fifty-something will always be trapped.
My experience is that it is more expensive to maintain a first world life style in a third world country than in a first world country. Maybe living on a sailboat insulates you from some of those costs, but many are still there.
John
Old 02-04-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Gotta agree with you on that Fuzzy - Radar is nice, but the AIS system can be a real live saver. However, I would rather have both 3G radar and AIS on the plotter. I came real close to smacking some offshore rigging one night, and almost nailed a huge stake net in Chesapeake Bay off Tilghman Island, one that wasn't on the charts and two miles from shore. Got my attention, and AIS would have provided no benefit at all.

As for the guy trapped in poverty, that's crapola as far as I'm concerned. At age 50, he either doesn't want to work, or he something wrong upstairs. There are loads of jobs out there that pay pretty darned well, and they frequently go wanting because no one seems to want to start at the bottom and work their way up these days. "Yeah, I'll take the job if you make me chairman of the board." seems to be today's attitude. He could drive a garbage truck and make $45,000 a year in most medium sized cities, plus a retirement and benefit plan. Bet if you asked if he would mind driving a garbage truck he would look at you like you had three heads.

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 02-04-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Gotta agree with you on that Fuzzy - Radar is nice, but the AIS system can be a real live saver. However, I would rather have both 3G radar and AIS on the plotter. I came real close to smacking some offshore rigging one night, and almost nailed a huge stake net in Chesapeake Bay off Tilghman Island, one that wasn't on the charts and two miles from shore. Got my attention, and AIS would have provided no benefit at all.

As for the guy trapped in poverty, that's crapola as far as I'm concerned. At age 50, he either doesn't want to work, or he something wrong upstairs. There are loads of jobs out there that pay pretty darned well, and they frequently go wanting because no one seems to want to start at the bottom and work their way up these days. "Yeah, I'll take the job if you make me chairman of the board." seems to be today's attitude. He could drive a garbage truck and make $45,000 a year in most medium sized cities, plus a retirement and benefit plan. Bet if you asked if he would mind driving a garbage truck he would look at you like you had three heads.

Gary
That's true there are many opertunities as a base entry. The part that scares me is he couldn't make it a McDonalds that's really bad guys and as far as the garbage truck is concerned in the town I grew up in you actually need a college degree in sanitation engineering and a cdl just to apply.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.