Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2024Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I've been doing this test for about 5 years, every year it gets cheaper and easier. 500 a month is a no brainier
That sure isn't what you said in post #6 on the first page of this thread. You said it was scary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Some closing thoughts:
-if I load up my boat with food,water and fuel I could anchor and spent $0 for months, that doesn't mean I'm cruising on $0/mo...
You really think anybody thinks like that?
In this example buying provisions in bulk where it is cheap saves you a lot of money in general. If you want to cruise for 20 months and your boat is big enough, you can easily stow away 1000 lbs of rice and various beans which will set you back not more than $1500 - that is $75 per month for basic food needs, and I seriously doubt you will use as much as 1.5 lbs of dry grains and beans per day for a couple.
I know that some folks here think they would rather die than eat like that but for others it is a fairly reasonable proposition.
Old 02-07-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

It is? whats your point? I have chronicled my journey for 7 years both through sailing rags on my blog and face to face with the dozens of clients who's boats I outfit and help to sail away. I dont have any secrets BTW I am more afraid of water than any other thing on earth! YES ITS CAN BE VERY SCARY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I don't know, living under a bridge gets expensive. First, bridges can fall down! I would never live under a bridge without an emergency transponder to help first responders find me under the rubble.

And you can't really cook, it would attract wolves. You basically have to eat every meal in a restaurant.

Oh, and the hobos! You'll need to be heavily armed to protect yourself from rabid hobos. Count on at least $200/month in ammunition.

Once you factor in canvas repair, tent insurance, and high-speed wireless broadband I just don't see you anyone could live under a bridge for less than $3000 a month.
if I had coffee in my mouth it would of been all over the screen reading this

kudos for the comedic break, love it!

jajajaja

thanks

Old 02-07-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Now that we've gone through the fear and loathing saga, can we get back to the useful discussions? I am curious to hear about how people manage financial transactions away from their home currency. Seems to me the only way to do it inexpensively is to work in cash, but conversion costs will hit somewhere. Debit or even credit cards offer convenience, but those ATM fees are killers, let alone the unfair conversion rates the banks give us. The only way around that would be to take out lots at a time (say, your $500/month budget ).
RoryP23 likes this.
Old 02-07-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
gee now it is down to a personal attack and I'm full of fear with an exploding face
It's unfortunate you see it as we're attacking you which is not... we simply do not see your way or agree with you... simple way of saying this is your fear is that of taking your sailboat out on less than $500... $800... $1000... etc... not until that number reaches the proverbial $3000 and up range... must be nice to have that type of disposable income but many posting here do not...
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 02-07-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
It is? whats your point? I have chronicled my journey for 7 years both through sailing rags on my blog and face to face with the dozens of clients who's boats I outfit and help to sail away. I dont have any secrets BTW I am more afraid of water than any other thing on earth! YES ITS CAN BE VERY SCARY
Slow your roll there, skippy, and go back and re-read your post-
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator
".... My post is because like many the plain truth is that this can be very scary and I'm seeking positive reinforcement that I'm not insane or at least seeking other with the same mental capacity who can give me examples of what they have done abroad."
Considering your post was regarding BUDGET not sailing, the inference is that your skinny BUDGET is scary, and my point is that you now say, 78 pages later that it is a no-brainer...
it isn't. which is why there is 78 pages of discussion.
And if it really was a no-brainer, then you wouldn't have been posting asking for feedback...because you were right, it IS scary.

Old 02-07-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Now that we've gone through the fear and loathing saga, can we get back to the useful discussions? I am curious to hear about how people manage financial transactions away from their home currency. Seems to me the only way to do it inexpensively is to work in cash, but conversion costs will hit somewhere. Debit or even credit cards offer convenience, but those ATM fees are killers, let alone the unfair conversion rates the banks give us. The only way around that would be to take out lots at a time (say, your $500/month budget ).
Agree... when I went to China for the first time... I needed Chinese currency so I went to my local bank and requested $1000 in Chinese RMB... this is what my associate in Shanghai told me to do so I had plenty to pay my way without using my credit card... the bank charged me $35 U.S. for this... but it was a lot cheaper than going to China and pulling $1000 out of the Chinese bank... once there I used a particular bank to pull money out and the fee was no different than what I pay in Montreal... in fact it was cheaper... I did not get the International Transfer fees... but I think the best method is carry the greenback anywhere you go in the world and you will get better service and up front buying power.
Old 02-07-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

guess I was wrong, not attacking me, only using my name

Mike I don't see a way around the exchange fees unless you are swapping via barter. If you take cash out the ATM you pay the bank fee of the transaction plus the exchange rate they chose. If you personally go to the bank you still pay an exchange fee and the bank of course isn't going to give you the deal they can get and are going to make profit on it. And both of these there is a second exchange fee involved if you end up with extra local currency.

I still feel that credit card use is the best answer for any place that accepts them assuming you have gotten a fee free card. The exchange fee is the best you probably can expect as it most likely is an interbank exchange and all done electronically. Then you pay the card in your home currency electronically as well.

I just don't see a plus to adding middlemen (local bank) to the mix.
Old 02-07-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Slow your roll there, skippy, and go back and re-read your post-

Considering your post was regarding BUDGET not sailing, the inference is that your skinny BUDGET is scary, and my point is that you now say, 78 pages later that it is a no-brainer...
it isn't. which is why there is 78 pages of discussion.
And if it really was a no-brainer, then you wouldn't have been posting asking for feedback...because you were right, it IS scary.
I think you missed the whole point of my post, living off of 500 per month is a no brainier, sailing off without a million dollars in the bank is scary, I have been doing this O(sailing and voyaging)for 27 years and have yet to meet a single person who didn't worry about the long term financial aspects. You are welcome to take my words out of context but you aren't doing anyone any favors, people will read these words for years to come and they do so in hopes of cutting the dock lines and following some form of dream what ever it is. Some of us choose to take a chance and leave while we are young enough to enjoy sailing for what it is. That's what this post is for. Yes do read my words I'm a big fraidy cat and I'm out on an open ended voyage with no destination. I don't care what I do or how far I go as long as I am free

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.