Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
How much solar do you have ? We have nearly 400ah.

Then again on $500pm can you afford beer at all ?
what's 400ah of solar mean??????

I have a 290W solar panel and 460AH batteries. From the recorder in my solar controller the normal use most days when I wasn't on the boat (Mon to Fri evening) the system put out about 60AH before going into float. I ran it for 6 months without turning off the system (and my boxes hold a lot) and even when there had been raining/cloudy days during the week I never saw the batteries at less than 80%.

And yes I can survive with a $500pm beer budget
34crealock likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't see way they can not have a freezer. Seems the rules are that it doesn't matter how much is spent before leaving. So.............I ran my freezer and frig (spill over from the freezer) all last season why the boat was out on a mooring. All it took was $1600 for the solar system to power it. So for the 6 months after the solar was installed it was free to run the freezer!
Actually, I agree with you ... kinda. For me, as someone who is not all that handy, and far from a refrigeration mechanic, a fridge/freezer is probably not sustainable. I could afford to put your system together, but when it breaks down, and it will break down, I probably won't be able to fix it. I lack the know how, and will certainly lack the money. So for me, it's not a sustainable option. For someone more capable, and certainly for someone who has a higher income, it may be perfectly fine.

I would point out, however, that a big fridge/freezer requires a lot more infrastructure to sustain it. The cooling unit is one part, but you also need a larger battery bank, which requires a larger charging system. It's a more complex system that has more paths to failure (system failure, not personal or spiritual failure). I don't need refrigeration to sustain a life afloat. I might like it, but I know how to live without it. And so could you.
RoryP23 likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Good beer in cans is making a comeback, at least here in the US! That's great news for boating. The theory is that with a really good beer you're going to pour it into a glass anyway, so it's OK to come from a can.

I'm partial to Surly Furious, but it really has no place on a low-buck thread, since it's $10 for a 4-pack

It comes in cans Oh, I'm doomed now. I guess there's nothing left for me than to move over to the $3,000/month thread.
Minnesail likes this.
Old 02-10-2014
just ducky

speaking of beer

to save costs learn to home brew, but this depends on how much you drink, where your are, and whether you boat is even big enough to store the equipment etc.

would pay for itself quick in the Bahamas, but then does one go to the Bahamas on $500/mo?

Last edited by Don0190; 02-10-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
+1 on marking cans with a sharpie aeventyr60. That's our plan.

Thanks for all the info on cans guitarguy56. Probably learned more than I wanted to know . This reinforces my plans to dry food for long-term cruising. My goal is to leave with a lot, but also to dry along the way when we are able to buy inexpensive fresh fruits and veggies.

I agree with you Lou452 that sometimes going cheap is not always the least expensive option. Quality sometimes (but not always) costs more up front, but if it lasts (if you can amortize the cost over a long period), then it can be cheaper in the long run.

Of course the trick is to know what you really need ... not always easy to do.
Mike sorry to scare you off... the truth is many do not know what happens behind closed doors in the food industry...

That said... we have a large tract of land and we have many fruit trees, avocados, peaches, apples, pears, pomegranate, figs, oranges, guava, grapes... too many to name (my wife and I are gardeners) so we have too many vegetables plants to name... but she does a great job of canning and drying fruits, pickling vegies, making preserves, etc... so we hardly ever buy store bought items except some staples, rice, pasta, etc... but on the boat cruising it's a different story unless we are able then to buy local items and can it on the boat which is definitely doable.
Old 02-10-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Actually, I agree with you ... kinda. For me, as someone who is not all that handy, and far from a refrigeration mechanic, a fridge/freezer is probably not sustainable. I could afford to put your system together, but when it breaks down, and it will break down, I probably won't be able to fix it. I lack the know how, and will certainly lack the money. So for me, it's not a sustainable option. For someone more capable, and certainly for someone who has a higher income, it may be perfectly fine.

I would point out, however, that a big fridge/freezer requires a lot more infrastructure to sustain it. The cooling unit is one part, but you also need a larger battery bank, which requires a larger charging system. It's a more complex system that has more paths to failure (system failure, not personal or spiritual failure). I don't need refrigeration to sustain a life afloat. I might like it, but I know how to live without it. And so could you.
My freezer/fridge is 13 years old and has needed 1 repair (I assume because there was note in the manual for some parts from the last owner and all I've spent is $10 on some weather stripping and have never had to repair it). I don't consider this as a problem.

And I just told you I power the whole thing off 1 solar panel that also takes care of lights, radio and other loads I run at anchor.

So I see no reason why I need to live without it. In fact it is a cost savings to be able to buy in bulk and freeze it.

If you are a live aboard and your freezer/frig breaks you know what you do? You buy ice (which is more expensive than the fuel to run the engine if it comes to that to recharge the batteries)
Old 02-10-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

To me, it's not so much about budget as it is about simplicity. I prefer simple, robust systems.

Anyone ever try a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) on your boat? My brothers & I used one when we'd go camping in the 'Glades. You won't get ice from one, but it'll keep your butter from melting and your water cool.
MikeOReilly and RoryP23 like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
speaking of beer

would pay for itself quick in the Bahamas, but then does one go to the Bahamas on $500/mo?
Yup, one sure isn't gonna be drinking much beer in the Bahamas on the cheap, unless you brought your own with you from the States, or the DR...

One year at Rum Cay, I watched the NFC and AFC Championships in the bar at Sumner Point Marina with a small group of other cruisers, a couple of true 'minimalists' among them... Until I witnessed it, I never would have thought it was possible to nurse a SINGLE $5 Kalik through BOTH title games, one of which went into overtime... :-)

Myself and another couple also got stuck with over-tipping the barmaid, to make up the difference from those on a tight 'budget'...

That poor woman, she thought she'd be having Sunday dinner home with her family... She had no idea, after the Patriots won the first game, that there was still a SECOND game to be played... By the time she was hearing "One minute to play in regulation..." in the second game, she was standing by the door, ready to roll...

Needless to say, she didn't grasp the concept of "Sudden Death Overtime", at all... As far as she was concerned, that game was OVER, the announcers had said as much, and she was closing up, and going home... The few of us with 'deep pockets' bought one more round, and stuck a deal with her to at least leave the TV on after she closed, and we all watched the Giants kick the winning field goal to beat Green Bay in OT through the window, while standing outside, with one last $5 Kalik in hand... :-)

Classic Bahamas, there's always a way... :-)
Bene505 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-10-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
To me, it's not so much about budget as it is about simplicity. I prefer simple, robust systems.

Anyone ever try a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) on your boat? My brothers & I used one when we'd go camping in the 'Glades. You won't get ice from one, but it'll keep your butter from melting and your water cool.
A small refrig that hold some quantity of cold items can be had for less than $50 on g-bay... these run on peltier cold plates and are 12v powered... surely enough to keep a 6 pack of beers cold and on solar power...

Koolatron P9 Traveller III Cooler
Old 02-10-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

How much phishing do you think happens on threads that have to do with $ ?

Most folks lie about how much or little money they have. This is how people get in the trap. They can not keep up with the Jones' s The boat always needs to be 2 foot bigger. This system needs to be upgraded and so on until everything hits the max. Then they can not cruise on $5000. The amount of money that seemed like enough has multiplied ten times.

It cuts the other way also. The 60+ foot sleek yacht sits alone, No one will come near it. How could this skipper tell if the deck monkey likes him or the money ? Yet he has a hard time going with less. Now he can not go anyplace because the yacht needs a professional crew. He can afford it but this just makes him a passenger.

This is what starts class segregation. This might do more damage than race segregation. Rare is the man that can move about with ease from class to class. Many hearts grow hard and minds grow weak, trapped by themselves
Kind Regards, Lou
ravinracin likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.