Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1836Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post

The unwashed masses are purchasing Solar panels in Asia for $125 for an 80 watt panel.. The Mercedes Benz Kyocera 135 watt panels go for about 400 bucks in Thailand....a bit more here with the duty and VAT...
My washed mass in the boonies of the Northeast of the USA got a 290W panel for $280 last year. Cold beer for me!

BTW - if you are a US citizen, paid taxes last, install a solar system on your boat, don't forget to get the credit when you do your income taxes.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Darn WiFi had long post all typed went poof found working small unit in a travel cooler free by trash will see what it does and costs to convert my ice box over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Don, the tax credit only applies if you are a live aboard - not a casual, weekend cruiser.

I only wish it were the case.

Gary
Old 02-12-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Don, the tax credit only applies if you are a live aboard - not a casual, weekend cruiser.

I only wish it were the case.

Gary
I applies if your boat qualifies as a first or second home.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Get-...ergy-Efficient

Last edited by Don0190; 02-12-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2014

That's pretty much the way I read it - but most boats don't qualify for various reasons. I lived on mine for six months, and it still didn't meet the federal guidelines.

Gary
Old 02-12-2014
just ducky

I have claimed my boat as a second home for years and boats are specifically listed in the IRS rules as qualifying (has to meet requirements like a head and galley). The link I posted for the energy credit was an IRS link and specifically says it does not need to be your main home.

But I'm not your tax adviser and everyone should look up themselves.
newhaul likes this.
Old 02-12-2014

The requirement that most people fail to meet is the 14-day per year live aboard requirement, mainly because they really have no way of documenting this. In my case I did during my trip to the south, but there really was not much of a tax advantage other than the repairs and new solar panel I installed while in Marathon, FL.

The biggest advantage is deducting loan interest, if you financed the boat. In the eyes of the law, it's no different than interest on your home, therefore, fully deductible. Slip rent, pumpouts, winter storage fees, haul-out feets etc..., are not deductible. Guess I'll have to look into the solar energy credit and see whether it's worth the time and effort when I file this year.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-12-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
GG,

One could also use a multi-stage peltier setup. Never even heard of one, but it could be done. Of course it would use double the power to get 60 degrees below ambient, or thereabouts.

Regards,
Brad
I imagine it should work no different however many units you use... the idea is efficiency for using them.

My setup would have 2 peltiers for a freezer type compartment (10 deg F) and 1 high efficiency peltier for the refrig compartment (40 deg F) all running with circulating water... if you notice in the photo the originator did not have foam on the back wall, top or bottom of the compartment (wood cabinet) so of course he was not able to maintain the cold environment... but from the peltier unit it is frozen cold and the temp monitor is registering 1.6 deg C... not bad... I would install 3 inch foam insulation on the outside walls and 2 inch insulation on all walls for the interior compartment... the interior would then be a box of aluminum welded together to maintain even distribution and conduction of the cold surface of the peltier.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-12-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The requirement that most people fail to meet is the 14-day per year live aboard requirement, mainly because they really have no way of documenting this. In my case I did during my trip to the south, but there really was not much of a tax advantage other than the repairs and new solar panel I installed while in Marathon, FL.

The biggest advantage is deducting loan interest, if you financed the boat. In the eyes of the law, it's no different than interest on your home, therefore, fully deductible. Slip rent, pumpouts, winter storage fees, haul-out feets etc..., are not deductible. Guess I'll have to look into the solar energy credit and see whether it's worth the time and effort when I file this year.

Cheers,

Gary
Unfortunately only the interest one pays for a second home, boat, RV, etc can be deducted as you mention... but why would anyone want to finance a boat to get a tax deduction? You would have to work to pay it off and that being the case kind of works against one going cruising and getting off the hook right?

Those of us fortunate to own our boats outright stand a far greater chance of cruising and getting away than those stuck with boat payments... no freedom there for sure... but for some the dream is owning the big enchilada boat rather then the real dream of leaving the dock/slip.
Old 02-12-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
I imagine it should work no different however many units you use... the idea is efficiency for using them.

My setup would have 2 peltiers for a freezer type compartment (10 deg F) and 1 high efficiency peltier for the refrig compartment (40 deg F) all running with circulating water... if you notice in the photo the originator did not have foam on the back wall, top or bottom of the compartment (wood cabinet) so of course he was not able to maintain the cold environment... but from the peltier unit is is frozen cold and the temp monitor is registering 1.6 deg C... not bad... I would install 3 inch foam insulation on the outside walls and 2 inch insulation on all walls for the interior compartment... the interior would then be a box of aluminum welded together to maintain even distribution and conduction of the cold surface of the peltier.
How about running the cooling water for the freezer unit thru the bottom of the fridge to increase the overall energy efeciency better heat removal means less cycling of the unit as a whole so instead of 70 deg cooling water say its 40 deg chill water which would get the freezer well below the 32 deg f

Much more and we may as well start our own thread on low buck peltier plate fridges ideas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by newhaul; 02-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.