Voyaging on $500 per month - Page 98 - SailNet Community
 2301Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #971 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
MikeOReilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,639
Thanks: 163
Thanked 74 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
robertluster and Brent Swain like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
MikeOReilly is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #972 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24
 
newhaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bremerton wa
Posts: 1,701
Thanks: 7
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Here's something I'm thinking yes you don't need refrigeration however on a long passage of more than a weeks duration it would be nice to have you can extend the usable life of many fresh vegies and dairy by cooling it in a dry environment and when its not actually needed for that turn it off and save the power. I don't drink so I can't say about keeping beer cold.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
newhaul is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #973 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
guitarguy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 654
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Mike while I might agree to a point... the times past is just that... times past.
No one takes a horse to work? No one puts their fingers on a rotary phone anymore... etc. Refrigs offer a convenience and a convenience only... some of us would like dairy products like butter, eggs, produce, etc. and these need to be refrig. at some point... even when camping... some people bring coolers with ice, others choose to bring an Engle/Coleman electric cooler... it's choices... some cruisers want that choice to cool their beers or other items... I sure do and so do many others... others choose not to have anything refrigerated and would rather use dry goods only... I was only hoping to give those wanting a cheap alternative to the compressor type refrig systems wought with maintenance issues...
guitarguy56 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #974 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
guitarguy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 654
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here's something I'm thinking yes you don't need refrigeration however on a long passage of more than a weeks duration it would be nice to have you can extend the usable life of many fresh vegies and dairy by cooling it in a dry environment and when its not actually needed for that turn it off and save the power. I don't drink so I can't say about keeping beer cold.
Same here... the standing joke here is the refrig is to cool beers...

I have a totally different reason for the refrig is that my wife has medications that need to be refrig'd... even if I don't build a refrig I will need an electric cooler to serve the purpose... no cold beers for me and I'll take fresh orange juice or a cold glass of milk instead.
newhaul and MikeOReilly like this.
guitarguy56 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #975 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
Group9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 24
Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
I don't think refrigeration is necessary to cruise. It's just necessary for me to cruise.

Kind of like an autopilot. I got along fine for years without one. But, now that I have had one, I would find it hard to go back to not having one.
MikeOReilly likes this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.


"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Group9 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #976 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Junior Member
 
robertluster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Aboard. as of 9/13/14, near Mystic Ct.
Posts: 26
Thanks: 43
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one... ...I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Amen. I quite agree.

But I AM very interested in the selection / quantity of foods you have chosen to dry. How much of what do you target before a cruise?
MikeOReilly likes this.
robertluster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #977 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24
 
newhaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bremerton wa
Posts: 1,701
Thanks: 7
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Ta instruments has some good info on dual plate peltier tech that may help you in designing your unit. Something like a 50 deg drop in ten min with two deg incrimental consistency control

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
newhaul is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #978 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
MikeOReilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,639
Thanks: 163
Thanked 74 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Mike while I might agree to a point... the times past is just that... times past.
No one takes a horse to work? No one puts their fingers on a rotary phone anymore... etc. Refrigs offer a convenience and a convenience only... some of us would like dairy products like butter, eggs, produce, etc. and these need to be refrig. at some point... even when camping... some people bring coolers with ice, others choose to bring an Engle/Coleman electric cooler... it's choices... some cruisers want that choice to cool their beers or other items... I sure do and so do many others... others choose not to have anything refrigerated and would rather use dry goods only... I was only hoping to give those wanting a cheap alternative to the compressor type refrig systems wought with maintenance issues...
Yeah ... it's a fine line between nostalgia and current reality. I often slip over the edge . And don't get wrong, I've got no problems with having a fridge, a shower or even an electric windlass. I really appreciate your ideas. Please, keep them coming. I'm learning a lot from you and others. Heck, I may even try and coax my fridge along (did I mention how much I like cold beer as well ).

It's just interesting (to me) how these items so often become some sort of benchmark around discussions of frugality. I'm just musing...

I will say, you don't need a fridge to cruise with most fresh produce. A lot of things that we routinely refrigerate do not require it. Fresh dairy and meats are the challenge, but there are ways to manage those as well.

But just to be clear, I'm not suggesting in any way a luddite approach here. If a fridge works for you, then I'm all for it. It's just that I do wonder if all the effort and energy is really worth it. There are alternatives that are a lot easier -- at least for low-talented people like me .
Brent Swain and guitarguy56 like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
MikeOReilly is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #979 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 983
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Speaking of fridges... Has anyone tried these Engel drop-in fridges? I've heard they are very reliable and consume very little power. I like the idea that the unit can be replaced just by unbolting it and putting a new one in its place. I also like the idea that it can work as either a fridge or a freezer. The price seems pretty fair too.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/f...ote-compressor
Group9 likes this.

Vindö 50
copacabana is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #980 of 2782 Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24
 
newhaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bremerton wa
Posts: 1,701
Thanks: 7
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Speaking of fridges... Has anyone tried these Engel drop-in fridges? I've heard they are very reliable and consume very little power. I like the idea that the unit can be replaced just by unbolting it and putting a new one in its place. I also like the idea that it can work as either a fridge or a freezer. The price seems pretty fair too.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/f...ote-compressor
Looks real nice but at just over a grand delivered and that's two years ago price
The units we have been discussing would yes use about double the power but cost under a hundred to build so there's 900 to add to the beer budget for most here

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
newhaul is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising vs. Voyaging Barquito General Discussion (sailing related) 23 04-24-2014 08:18 PM
An idea for a new voyaging sailboat Irunbird General Discussion (sailing related) 12 04-24-2014 10:34 AM
Looking for dockage month to month elmo2 General Discussion (sailing related) 4 03-19-2011 05:40 PM
Paperwork Needed for Voyaging SailNet Cruising Articles 0 07-31-2002 08:00 PM
Caribbean Voyaging Overview Mark Matthews Cruising Articles 0 07-09-2002 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome