Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1961Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Voyaging on $500 per month

This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
robertluster and Brent Swain like this.
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one. It comes up often on forums when people discuss frugal cruising ideas. Fridges and showers, and sometimes manual windlasses, seem to mark some sort of demarcation point. On the one side is civilization; on the other lies anarchy, deprivation ... (shudder) camping .

I'm very happy with my cold beer, but it's not a driving force in my cruising designs. Living without a fridge is really not that hard. Humans have done it for most of our existence. It's only been in the last couple of decades that the technology has become readily available for cruising boats. Somehow our recent fore bearers managed to survive. I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Here's something I'm thinking yes you don't need refrigeration however on a long passage of more than a weeks duration it would be nice to have you can extend the usable life of many fresh vegies and dairy by cooling it in a dry environment and when its not actually needed for that turn it off and save the power. I don't drink so I can't say about keeping beer cold.
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Mike while I might agree to a point... the times past is just that... times past.
No one takes a horse to work? No one puts their fingers on a rotary phone anymore... etc. Refrigs offer a convenience and a convenience only... some of us would like dairy products like butter, eggs, produce, etc. and these need to be refrig. at some point... even when camping... some people bring coolers with ice, others choose to bring an Engle/Coleman electric cooler... it's choices... some cruisers want that choice to cool their beers or other items... I sure do and so do many others... others choose not to have anything refrigerated and would rather use dry goods only... I was only hoping to give those wanting a cheap alternative to the compressor type refrig systems wought with maintenance issues...
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here's something I'm thinking yes you don't need refrigeration however on a long passage of more than a weeks duration it would be nice to have you can extend the usable life of many fresh vegies and dairy by cooling it in a dry environment and when its not actually needed for that turn it off and save the power. I don't drink so I can't say about keeping beer cold.
Same here... the standing joke here is the refrig is to cool beers...

I have a totally different reason for the refrig is that my wife has medications that need to be refrig'd... even if I don't build a refrig I will need an electric cooler to serve the purpose... no cold beers for me and I'll take fresh orange juice or a cold glass of milk instead.
newhaul and MikeOReilly like this.
Old 02-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think refrigeration is necessary to cruise. It's just necessary for me to cruise.

Kind of like an autopilot. I got along fine for years without one. But, now that I have had one, I would find it hard to go back to not having one.
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-13-2014

robertluster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This fixation on fridges is an interesting one... ...I just don't see what the big deal is all about.
Amen. I quite agree.

But I AM very interested in the selection / quantity of foods you have chosen to dry. How much of what do you target before a cruise?
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

Ta instruments has some good info on dual plate peltier tech that may help you in designing your unit. Something like a 50 deg drop in ten min with two deg incrimental consistency control

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Mike while I might agree to a point... the times past is just that... times past.
No one takes a horse to work? No one puts their fingers on a rotary phone anymore... etc. Refrigs offer a convenience and a convenience only... some of us would like dairy products like butter, eggs, produce, etc. and these need to be refrig. at some point... even when camping... some people bring coolers with ice, others choose to bring an Engle/Coleman electric cooler... it's choices... some cruisers want that choice to cool their beers or other items... I sure do and so do many others... others choose not to have anything refrigerated and would rather use dry goods only... I was only hoping to give those wanting a cheap alternative to the compressor type refrig systems wought with maintenance issues...
Yeah ... it's a fine line between nostalgia and current reality. I often slip over the edge . And don't get wrong, I've got no problems with having a fridge, a shower or even an electric windlass. I really appreciate your ideas. Please, keep them coming. I'm learning a lot from you and others. Heck, I may even try and coax my fridge along (did I mention how much I like cold beer as well ).

It's just interesting (to me) how these items so often become some sort of benchmark around discussions of frugality. I'm just musing...

I will say, you don't need a fridge to cruise with most fresh produce. A lot of things that we routinely refrigerate do not require it. Fresh dairy and meats are the challenge, but there are ways to manage those as well.

But just to be clear, I'm not suggesting in any way a luddite approach here. If a fridge works for you, then I'm all for it. It's just that I do wonder if all the effort and energy is really worth it. There are alternatives that are a lot easier -- at least for low-talented people like me .
Brent Swain and guitarguy56 like this.
Old 02-13-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Speaking of fridges... Has anyone tried these Engel drop-in fridges? I've heard they are very reliable and consume very little power. I like the idea that the unit can be replaced just by unbolting it and putting a new one in its place. I also like the idea that it can work as either a fridge or a freezer. The price seems pretty fair too.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/f...ote-compressor
Group9 likes this.
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Speaking of fridges... Has anyone tried these Engel drop-in fridges? I've heard they are very reliable and consume very little power. I like the idea that the unit can be replaced just by unbolting it and putting a new one in its place. I also like the idea that it can work as either a fridge or a freezer. The price seems pretty fair too.

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/f...ote-compressor
Looks real nice but at just over a grand delivered and that's two years ago price
The units we have been discussing would yes use about double the power but cost under a hundred to build so there's 900 to add to the beer budget for most here