Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014

MY36 is on a distinguished road
Maine expensive winter storage

I've been reviewing prices at boat yards in mid-coast Maine and am surprised how expensive it is. It seems odd that they charge by sq foot, not just length. But what is most surprising is that it seems at least 50% more expensive than New Jersey.

Any idea why? Any idea if there are yards that allow owner work on boats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Maine expensive winter storage

because they all are, so they can
Old 01-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've got to believe that the rates are pretty variable up there. What are you seeing?

Land storage by the square foot actually makes sense to me. They will literally pack them in on top of each other, so your beam takes up more space if larger. In your slip, you take up the same usable space regardless of beam, unless you're a cat or encroach on the next slip.

DIY yards are disappearing, but can usually be found somewhere. Some probably need the work, so they only want clients willing to hire them. However, I bet environmental issues has equally shut as many down. The marina is probably responsible to police and contain dust, chemicals, etc and subject to the fine, if you don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-04-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY36 View Post
I've been reviewing prices at boat yards in mid-coast Maine and am surprised how expensive it is. It seems odd that they charge by sq foot, not just length. But what is most surprising is that it seems at least 50% more expensive than New Jersey.

Any idea why? Any idea if there are yards that allow owner work on boats?
It is widely variable in my area(Penobscot Bay). I pay $11/ lin.ft for my 38'er. But I'm in a limited spot owned by the town(waiting list).

In our storage area, the problem on footage came with the first multi hull. It was adjusted to 2, 40' monos.

This area is so reliant on hydraulic trailers that carry boats away from harbors due to little dry storage on the harbors, that you can find a whole range of pricing inland. Indoors, outdoors, the only limit is the mileage added to get there.

Still, it's generally less $ to store your boat inland than on or near the water, in this area of the coast.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-04-2014
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

Midcoast marine in Winterport is the best value around.They allow you to leave the mast up and They allow you to do all your own work. Belmont boat works in Belmont( just outside Belfast harbor) allows you to do your own work also.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've got to believe that the rates are pretty variable up there. What are you seeing?
I'm seeing about $2700 in Maine vs. about $1500 in central NJ for a 36' sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Land storage by the square foot actually makes sense to me. They will literally pack them in on top of each other, so your beam takes up more space if larger. In your slip, you take up the same usable space regardless of beam, unless you're a cat or encroach on the next slip.
This doesn't make sense to me (except for cats). Here in NJ it's done by length. In Maine it's seems to be done by sq. ft, but it's hard to imagine space is more at a premium in Maine than in NJ (relatively close to NYC).

I do like the suggestion of the OP to consider having it trucked somewhere.
Old 01-04-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Keep in mind that most yards around Casco Bay include haul, store and launch into the Sq foot price and some include pressure washing.. I see many yards down South who menu item haul, storage, wash and spring launch so you really need to compare apples to apples.

Our yards up here, due to location and waterfront geography, can only pack in so many boats and that tends to help dictate storage costs.

There are very few yards in Maine I know of that don't allow you to do your own work...

My last pricing from Maine Yacht Center in Portland shows a 36' X 11' boat including HAUL, PRESSURE WASH, STORAGE and LAUNCH coming in at $1584.00 plus stands at $20.00 ea for the winter, if you don't have your own.

Be sure you compare apples to apples because MYC for example includes pressure washing where some yards don't. Do all the yards in NJ include haul & launch in the storage rate?

I have no problem being charged by Sq foot as my boat takes up that much of their yard as unusable / non billable space... Actually it takes up more as they usually leave about 18" - 2' on either side....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-04-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Keep in mind that most yards around Casco Bay include haul, store and launch into the Sq foot price. I see many yards down South who menu item haul, storage & spring launch so you really need to compare apples to apples.

Our yards up here due to location and waterfront geography can only pack in so many boats and that tends to help dictate storage costs.

There are very few yards in Maine I know of that don't allow you to do your own work...
I'm definitely keeping the haul, washdown, stands, etc in mind when comparing prices.

I understand waterfront property is expensive, but I guessed it would be much more expensive close to NYC vs. Maine.

Very glad to hear most yards allow owner work. I don't mind if yards have rules about bottom cleaning and painting, but I'm not interested in yards that try to make it difficult for owners to do work because they want the work. Nothing wrong with that if they are up front about it, just not what I'm interested in.
Old 01-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We are $4.25 per sqft, which includes haul, launch, pressure washing and stands and we're pretty far from NYC. However, supply and demand has little to do with how close to a major metro area you are in. I don't know the beam of your boat, but would think that would be in the $1,600 range for you. Our marina is not known to be inexpensive, even in the Bay, so I would agree that the $2,700 figure you received seems pretty high.

I think the biggest advantage to Maine is access to quality, reasonably priced workmanship. Well, that and outstanding sailing grounds.
downeast450 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-04-2014

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Just for comparison, the Barnegat Bay NJ marina I am in charges $795 for mast up winter storage. Includes cradle, haul, power wash and launch. 25' O'day.
I thought that was pretty reasonable. Not sure if the price is by length or square foot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.