SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The things people do..

5K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Classic30 
#1 ·
#4 ·
/\ /\ /\ What he said! :)

#7 ·
It's not just power boaters who do these things? :)

#11 ·
Because they're so good for the economy? :)

#15 · (Edited)
I love the expression on that guy's face. Priceless.

"Hmmm.. now what's wrong with this picture." :D

Yeah, I'm sure he'll get a good talking to from the powers that be and I do hope he had enough brains to take out an insurance policy before he left. If not, a Hobie cat (second-hand) might be all he'll be able to afford.

#17 ·
From the article linked in the OP:
" A husband and wife were forced to spend Sunday night sleeping on rocks after their yacht started taking on water through holes in its hull."

#18 ·
Come on you are being to harsh. They just wanted to "park" the boat for having a meal and rest.

I love this part:

The man said he had never sailed a yacht before and that his sonar .. wasn't working properly."We planned to stop for an hour or so and have a rest and feed," They had lowered their anchor, in what the man believed was a channel between rocks... "Then we felt a bump."

#22 ·
And, in Related News...

The Things Boatbuilders Do...

YachtSalvage.com - Hake 46' 2013 for sale

It was reported that the Captain was delivering this vessel from FL to VA, when he was in some rough seas and the engines quit due to water in the fuel.
Water in the fuel, huh? Damn, how could that POSSIBLY happen?

Hell, why don't they just put the fuel vents BELOW the waterline, for chrissakes...

UFB...

#25 ·
And, in Related News...

The Things Boatbuilders Do...

YachtSalvage.com - Hake 46' 2013 for sale

Water in the fuel, huh? Damn, how could that POSSIBLY happen?

Hell, why don't they just put the fuel vents BELOW the waterline, for chrissakes...

UFB...
who designs a sailboat with a hollow in the hull just to be able to lift the keel really high?
this thing must have an awful performance under sail...

#34 ·
Yep. From the Transport Safety website: "All recreational vessels heading out more than two nautical miles from the coast are required to carry an approved 406 Mhz EPIRB."

Given the "friendliness" of most parts of our coastline in a decent blow, from the moment you can't see it you're more than far out enough to need all the resources AMSA can throw in your direction.

#26 ·
Uhhh - they're called centerboarders and have been around for a century or two.

#30 ·
The Seaward 46 I saw in Annapolis a few years ago had one, but I've seen pics of others without... I don't think it actually precludes the ability to stand at the helm, more than anything it really messes up the walk-thru transom access...

I imagine most people have little idea how exhausting it would be to actually helm a sailboat from such a chair, however... If you're gonna be steering all day sitting in a pedestal helm seat, do like the truckers do, this kind of wheel is the only way to go...

Seems each year I'm seeing more and more folks with pedestal captain's chairs mounted behind helms, however... You can just make one out in the pic below... It's easy to see, why these guys NEVER see you coming up from astern in a faster boat... :)

#31 ·
My "new" boat came loaded with COTB like that - I pulled it off and sold it. The stern rose about 5" and I cut the cost of the boat nearly in 1/2.

Haven't missed one bit of it either.

#32 ·
The owner doesn't *steer* from the chair -- he just sits there giving orders to the poor swab on the helm. :)

#33 ·
JonEisberg said:
When someone sticks twin 56HP Yanmars in a 46'sailboat, I don't think "performance under sail" is necessarily the Top Priority :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.