Morgan 27 sail/stanchion problem - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2005 Thread Starter
Catalina 38 Avantura

Morgan 27 sail/stanchion problem

The dust created from sanding the ablative paint (black) off of the bottom settled onto the fiberglass deck. We then got some minor rain, not enough to really rinse it off, but enough to wet the dust down. We now cannot get the dust stain out of the fiberglass. Regular cleaners have been tried, along with non-skid deck cleaner and soft scrub with bleach. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-25-2005

I have always successfully used Softscrub with bleach on a 3m scrub pad for removing the copper oxide stains created by bottom paint dust. Sometimes it has taken a scrubbing or two. It sounds like you have a worse problem than I have ever run into.

Jeff
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2005

My experience is that it will faded away on its on in about two weeks. At least thats the way it works here on the Gulf Coast.

I assume you have already washed the rest of the excess off, now sit down and let that UV from the sun tan you and clean the deck.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2005

Try Mary Kate Cleaning Detail works miracles.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2005

I have been encountering a problem on my Morgan 27 since I bought it 5 years ago. The problem is when we tack the boat and trim her in we always have to have a deck person on hand to pull the sail over the first stanchion aft of the bowpulpit. Granted you can head up and luff her over but when racing itís the last thing I want to do. J-24 guys say beat the lifeline and sheíll pop over, never happening. Would love to hear if this is a common problem and love even more if there is a solution.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2005

One of the solutions is to attach a couple of the funny wheel thingies onto your lifelines. These rotate around the wire and allow the sail to roll over the top. They actually do work, if you put them in the right spot.
They are cheap, so it makes sense to try them as an easy fix first. If it doesn''t work, you are only out about $10 and five minutes of installation.

Sasha
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2005

I crewed for a guy on an old Ericson 35 who had crewed for Melges on Heart of America (so I think he knows his stuff) We had to send someone forward to skirt the jib after every tack and he seemed not to consider it a problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.