Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: The most secluded remote boating spots in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Bring your bug spray, etc. as that's why few live in these places.
Now if the OP reworded the post to include no bugs, well I suppose the answer would be nowhere. Cruising would be so much nicer w/o skeeters and no-see-ums, wouldn't it?
Old 01-08-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

Yah, who'd go to southeast Alaska....375 miles with only 2 road access points.
Waaay tooo crowded!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Actually, there are loads of places along the East Coast of the U.S. where you could spend days, even weeks, without seeing another boat. Some of the remote inlets along the barrier islands of Virginia's segment of the Delmarva Peninsula, Sand Shoal, New and Metompkin inlets are very quiet, even during the height of boating season.

New Inlet, however, can be a bit hairy to access during a hard, ebb tide because of the nearby shoals and bars. Local knowledge is paramount here. Just beyond the inlet is a small bay that leads to Rattail Creek, which winds for miles through the tidal marsh and averages about 4 feet deep. This is the northernmost range of tarpon, and while I've never been able to catch one here, I have seen dozens rolling in the inlet during ebb tide. These fish are huge, averaging more than 100 pounds.

Sand Shoal inlet is a piece of cake, even when the tide is running. It's wide, very deep and provides access to a vast area of tidal marsh that during high tide, resembles a huge, manicured lawn of sea grasses. It's beautiful, but very buggy. Mostly greenhead flies, skeeters and no see ums, both day and night. You can overcome this with a simple outdoor gazebo screen cover available for under $30 at Wall Mart. This will fit right over your bimini top and provides total protection from the biting critters.

Last October, while traveling down the ICW, there were times when I didn't see another boat for days on end. I was somewhat concerned, mainly because if something were to break down, the ICW in southern Virginia and parts of the Carolinas were nothing more than a winding ditch through a swamp. No people anywhere you looked for miles on end.

Someone mentioned the Florida Keys west of Key West. Been there dozens of times, and most of the time the back country between Mule Key Basin and the Dry Tortugas is devoid of people, but the fishing was fantastic. You could lobster dive at the west end of the Lakes Passage near Boca Grande Key and find all the lobsters you could ever want. It can be a popular sailboat anchorage at times for boats headed to the Tortugas, but most of the time I had the entire place to myself.

The Marquesses Keys are one of the jewels of this area. There are three entrances to the inner area of the Marquesses Keys and Money Harbor, two of which are more than adequate for most sailboats drawing under 6 feet. Both inlets are situated on the south side of the Atoll, but I only recommend entering during high, slack tide. During ebb tide, the water rips through the inlets pretty hard and could slam you into the coral heads nearby. This too is one of those areas where you won't see a soul for days or even weeks on end.

The best attribute of cruising is meeting fellow cruisers. Over the years some of the most fascinating people I've ever encountered have been individuals and couples living aboard their sailboats and trawlers. All that solitude can be nice for a week or two, but beyond that I would much rather be someplace like Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, Florida. I met some fabulous people there, most of which were cruisers, and nearly all were live aboards.

All the best,

Gary
Old 01-08-2014

rhpaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGuyver View Post
Yah, who'd go to southeast Alaska....375 miles with only 2 road access points.
Waaay tooo crowded!
No cars, so everyone has boats up here. It's a secluded place, but I doubt you could go for more than a two or three without seeing evidence of another mariner.. (in the summer)
Old 01-08-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

The op asked for the most remote.....try getting away from people anywhere else in U.S. waters......in summer
Old 01-08-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Not the US, but close, the BC coast. Endless possibilities, especially north of Vancouver Island. Even during the height of the summer there are lots of places where you will have a nice bay all to yourself, occasionally seeing another boat in the distance (not many in Desolation Sound or the popular spots, but if you look you can find them).
Faster likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-08-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Not the US, but close, the BC coast. Endless possibilities, especially north of Vancouver Island. Even during the height of the summer there are lots of places where you will have a nice bay all to yourself, occasionally seeing another boat in the distance (not many in Desolation Sound or the popular spots, but if you look you can find them).
Yes, but it seems more people are 'looking'.... last summer in the Broughtons was far from 'lonely'.... even disregarding our own flotilla.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-08-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Lake Superior. I've done this lake end to end several times without seeing another boat.
That's only cause they saw you coming!

My issue is that the water is so cold on Superior.
Old 01-08-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
My issue is that the water is so cold on Superior.
It warms up to the low 50s by the end of summer

Not another boat in sight though:
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 01-08-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Lake Superior is a good suggestion. Lake Huron's North Channel (much of it is technically in Canada) is another if you cruise early in the season. We cruised the North Channel from June through August and didn't share an anchorage until July 1.

And if you don't limit yourself to the US, there's these: Uninhabited but not Unnoticed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
boat , remote , secluded , solitude , usa