Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting into sailing

Your plan sounds great! Learning on small dinghy's is the best way to learn, as bigger boats are more forgiving (booms above head height and you are unlikely to capsize a larger boat).

If you love building, go for the build. However, most people who build do it because they are very passionate about building boats and never sail that much. If you want to sail, buy something affordable at prepare to put in at least what you paid for the boat in repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to youmeandthed For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

I have dealt with Glen-L , they are good people and their plans are excellent . Building one of their sailing dingys should be a blast . And like you say get some real building experience. Here is a thought build one of their rowing dingys . Then take it to a marina, row it around and you will see a lot of cruising boats . That will help you decide what boat to get and I'm sure you will see some for sale . And when you get the big boat you will already have your tender.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014

AkaBud is on a distinguished road

I guarantee if you build a boat without sailing experience if you finish it and learn to sail it
Youíll wish you had done a lot of things different.
Old 01-09-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroflame View Post
I've heard of people making similar journeys in even smaller craft. I was also looking at more of a coastal route because of that exact reason... Is that feasible? Up the west coast to Alaska and from there Russia and Japan? Or is it not quite that simple?
While size does matter, yes, people have sailed across the oceans in even smaller boats. The point I'm making, blue water boats are different from coastal crusiers in many ways from a design and build standpoint more so than a size standpoint.

I have a 34' Catalina. It was designed to be a coastal cruiser and yes, you can island hop all over the Carribean since you are never far from land. It was not built to cross oceans. I'm sure someone has, but it was not built for that purpose.
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I have dealt with Glen-L , they are good people and their plans are excellent . Building one of their sailing dingys should be a blast . And like you say get some real building experience. Here is a thought build one of their rowing dingys . Then take it to a marina, row it around and you will see a lot of cruising boats . That will help you decide what boat to get and I'm sure you will see some for sale . And when you get the big boat you will already have your tender.
I've got a good buddy who built a couple of Glen L boats back when we were kids in the late 60's. He built a 12' skiff and later, a 15' inboard runabout. They were good, solid boats, but I almost got myself killed in the runabout one day.
I even bought plans back then for a Sunfish style sailboat, but never got around to building it.
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

If you want to build a boat, build a boat.

If you want to sail, buy a boat. Much cheaper than building one.

(Some people do both - my previous boat (my avatar pic) was built from a surplus lifeboat in the 50s. The PO sailed it during the short Ontario summers, then worked on the "big boat" in a shed behind his house in the winters - a 34' steel ketch. Sadly he passed on with the project just needing final fitting out, but he never missed a season on the little boat over half a century!)
bljones likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to zedboy For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

A note on building;
People build boats allot... doesn't mean they know how to use them. This is very true for those that build kayaks or canoes. building a sailing craft.. not so much.. It's easy to sail.. no mystery or secret. just get out there on a nice day and "have at it"!

Modern boat building in "stitch and glue" plywood" can beget you a vessel in a few weekends. Depending! On what kind/size boat you want to build? It is NOT cheaper to build a boat then buy one.

Pardon me for saying.. but your ideas are all over the place!

learning to sail, landlocked, building, taking lessons, expeditions, survival, international sailing in a cork, with a tin cup, fishing line, roll of duct tape, and wool blanket and a compass... no.. you aren't quite ready. which I say based on many many years of loving such activities myself. You may want, to do some survival type classes while you are at it.
chuck53 likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroflame View Post

I think before I do any crazy circumnavigation though, I'd like to do that "great American loop" around the Eastern US.

Thank you all for your responses! They're much appreciated!
I have some friends who have done the loop and enjoyed doing it.
That being said, a sailboat really isn't the best boat for the loop as you will probably be motoring a lot more than sailing. If you do it in a sailboat, I would suggest one with a shallow or swing keel to get you thru a lot of skinny water along the way, and a good, dependable inboard diesel engine for all the motoring you will be doing.
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Whatever you do, don't build a boat to take you seriously sailing for the first time. That's nuts.

Find a cheap boat and go sail the hell out of it. Trade up to a bigger better boat and do it again. Then, after you've sailed for a good long time and know much, much more about sailing and sailboats (e.g. - after your circumnavigation) - you'll have a better idea of what kind of boat you'd want to build and the experience to know if it's worth it.

IMUSO - newbs who get suckered into building a boat before they've got much sailing experience rarely end up happy at the end of a seriously long, expensive, and frustrating process.

Just go sail and have fun. It's easy.
jameswilson29 and travlineasy like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-09-2014 at 03:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014

warren5421 is on a distinguished road

Get to Kentucky Lake and see what is there as I have seen small sail boats out on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to warren5421 For This Useful Post:
Ferroflame (01-11-2014)