SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Getting into sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/116114-getting-into-sailing.html)

Ferroflame 01-09-2014 07:58 AM

Getting into sailing

Howdy folks!

I'm looking to venture into the world of sailing! My end goal is to sail around the world, but starting on lakes and rivers seems like the thing to do. I've done a bit of research to familiarize myself with all the terms and basic techniques, but I'm lacking hands on experience.

I've been looking at Glen-L plans online, mainly small dinghies as a trainer to learn the basics of building and sailing. I figured building one of those would be a nice starter project to get some building experience and see how much I enjoy it. Afterwards I imagine I'd look into building a larger craft, with the smallest suitable design being the "James Cook" 27'. I chose this design because it's the smallest craft I could see myself living and traveling on that I can build at home. I should also be able to theoretically sail it from the Kentucky River down to the Caribbean, and from there anywhere.

Of course, if I found that constructing a boat was beyond my abilities or I didn't have enough time to work on it I could always buy a similar boat instead. I've seen decent ones around the same size starting around $5K, so that wouldn't hurt the bank too bad.

If anyone has advice, suggestions or other helpful information I would be more than welcome to hear it! :) Thank you all very much for your time.

(PS, I was going to add links to the Glen-L site but I can't until I've made 10 posts. Oh well, a Google search takes 5 seconds if you want to look it up.)

jameswilson29 01-09-2014 08:13 AM

Re: Getting into sailing

Mebbie you should try real sailing at least once before you build/buy a boat...

kenr74 01-09-2014 08:25 AM

Good luck with your dream!

If building a boat means a lot to you then by all means go for it. If the dream is more sailing related I would strongly recommend skipping that step. Small boats are very affordable. I own a 22' swing keel trailer sailor, and I am pretty close to dirt poor. I could not have built half the boat I have for the same money, and that is just counting materials not time. It will also take lots of time to build a proper boat. Either way, have fun pursuing what you want. I've had a blast learning to sail in the last year and a half, amd am enjoying making all sorts of crazy plans for the future.

azguy 01-09-2014 08:41 AM

seriously.... Get some time on a tiller or maybe take ASA 101 and see how things go. The most affordable way after that is to purchase a Catalina 22 or Oday 22 and get some experience, plus it's an easy boat to trailer....

Minnewaska 01-09-2014 09:13 AM

Welcome aboard.

I also offer the suggestion that you get out there and take some sailing lessons to determine your real level of interest.

You've set forth the mother load of ambition by having a circumnavigation on a boat you built as your goal. For almost everyone, that would be unrealistic. Unnecessary even. I've known lifetime sailors, good ones, that have never left the New England coast and they're jonesing to get back out there right now.

Great to have a dream, I'm not talking you out of it. But take it one step at a time and you may find other paths that are as fulfilling along the way. No point becoming disillusioned by not climbing Everest, when you've lived a life atop some of the most beautiful peaks on earth.

For what it's worth, it's very rare to find someone who has a passion for boat building and hard core sailing together. Many that spend years building their vessel, never sail it very far. Some not at all. The dream and buzz of building are not replicated offshore. Vice versa for those with an affinity to sail.

Best of luck.

Ferroflame 01-09-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1288818)
Mebbie you should try real sailing at least once before you build/buy a boat...

Well I've been on various boats before, including sailboats. But I was just a passenger, not part of the crew or anything.

My "try real sailing" was going to be building/buying a sailing dinghy. Unless of course by "real sailing" you mean on a sizable boat for several days at a time. If that's the case, I don't really know anyone in Kentucky who sails.. Hahaha but maybe I could look into it and figure something out. Thanks for the reply!

chuck53 01-09-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferroflame (Post 1288802)

Of course, if I found that constructing a boat was beyond my abilities or I didn't have enough time to work on it I could always buy a similar boat instead. I've seen decent ones around the same size starting around $5K, so that wouldn't hurt the bank too bad.

Yes, there are some decent $5k boats out there that can be had for sailing not too far from shore. But a $5k boat for sailing around the world....hope your life insurance is paid up. When you really start looking into boats, you will find that boats built for blue water (middle of the ocean) sailing, come with a much higher price tag and there are reasons for it.

azguy 01-09-2014 10:01 AM

Sail Boat Hunter 25.5

sirroco 15 sailboat

Ferroflame 01-09-2014 10:07 AM

Lessons and licensing would be a very good beginning point, thanks for reminding me about that. :P I've done a tidbit of research into it but not a whole lot. I live in Kentucky so opportunities there are a little lacking, but I'm sure someone around here does it.

I do realize that building a boat is more than quite a bit of work, but I figured if it was done in spare time over a good amount of time (5-10 years at the most, perhaps?) then it wouldn't be too taxing on me, and I could hopefully save up more funds in the meantime for any journeys taken. With that said though, I do think I lean more towards just buying one. It's easier and faster, but like I said before I want to start small and see how difficult it is for me. It would be nice to be able to point at something and say "I built that." It would be even greater to point and say "I built that AND I sailed it around the world"! Haha! :)

I think before I do any crazy circumnavigation though, I'd like to do that "great American loop" around the Eastern US. To clarify! I don't intended on just up and buying a boat after I get all the proper training / qualifications out of the way and sailing some ridiculous distance. I'd practice on some lakes around here. Stay in the boat for a few days, maybe a couple weeks just to see if I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

Thank you all for your responses! They're much appreciated!

Ferroflame 01-09-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck53 (Post 1289282)
Yes, there are some decent $5k boats out there that can be had for sailing not too far from shore. But a $5k boat for sailing around the world....hope your life insurance is paid up. When you really start looking into boats, you will find that boats built for blue water (middle of the ocean) sailing, come with a much higher price tag and there are reasons for it.

I've heard of people making similar journeys in even smaller craft. I was also looking at more of a coastal route because of that exact reason... Is that feasible? Up the west coast to Alaska and from there Russia and Japan? Or is it not quite that simple?