Sailing on network TV! "Chasing Shackleton" on tonight! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing on network TV! "Chasing Shackleton" on tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseDiamond View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this. It is the ultimate story of human perseverance and survival. Last week I considered the contrast with this experience vs the ships recently stuck on ice in the Antarctic. In Shacketons day, one waited it out until the thaw, totally self sufficient. Be a year or so before they realized you were missing, another to finance, equip, and come looking for you!
By then you either trekked out on your own (in the artic) or in 100 years they find your graves on some forbidding shore

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014

sealover is on a distinguished road

Kudos to PBS for NOT playing up the reality show aspect. There really are 6 guys on 22 foot boat making an 800 mile trip in the southern ocean using 1916 nav equipment and clothing. Unless they're all simpletons there's bound to be some drama. The low hanging fruit would be to capitalize on the "you took a bad reading you putz" and I'm glad they didn't. I live and work in "reality" I don't want to watch more of it on TV.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-11-2014
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

We just watched it online this morning. What an adventure! Though, it's absolutely not one I would want to endure. I'm ready for the 2nd episode!
Old 01-11-2014

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Great post!
If you had to be on that boat during Shackletons time would you want to be with Shackletons crew or the Chasing Shackletons crew?
Old 01-11-2014

sealover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Great post!
If you had to be on that boat during Shackletons time would you want to be with Shackletons crew or the Chasing Shackletons crew?
I was thinking the same thing. The chase boat has sails. And heat, room to change clothes under roof, and a better menu. But I'd still like the experience of the little boat using old equipment. So if "both" wasn't an option, I'd pick the Australis.

I HAVE a 21 foot boat with a single gas burner, one pot, and tiny cabin filled with sails and gear. If I wanted the experience I'd take it out today (sub zero temps this week gave us ice, now it's 45, windy, and raining hard - seems like that replicates the southern ocean pretty well actually)

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-11-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

What an adventure! I don't think I could handle the cold though.
Old 01-11-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

While the chasing crew had a rescue ship close by and electrical communication with said ship and outstanding qualifications, I think the original crew would probably be better versed on sailing that boat and surviving. I was somewhat surprised that the chasing crew had some difficulity with a crimp connection to the electrical communication. I can understand the challenge of mastering 1914 technology and living conditions within a short period of time, but here there was difficulity in mastering modern technology by a group that uses it daily in their modern world. I would prefer the original crew FWIW. When is part 2 being aired?
Old 01-11-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sealover said:
I was wrong - part 2 is not on tonight. Part 1 was on again at 3AM. Part 2 is next week. But thanks to Captainmeme's link I won't have to set my VCR. I'll watch it from my iPad when I have time.
What's a VCR?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.
jerryrlitton likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-11-2014

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Sorry Sealover I wasn't going for experience. I was trying to say if you where stuck on Elephant Island in the 1800's who would you pick as crew. New crew has more knowledge of the world. Old crew might have more experience and grit. No gps or safety boat just crew with all the same gear.
Old 01-11-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
I HAVE a 21 foot boat with a single gas burner, one pot, and tiny cabin filled with sails and gear. If I wanted the experience I'd take it out today (sub zero temps this week gave us ice, now it's 45, windy, and raining hard - seems like that replicates the southern ocean pretty well actually)
Sorry, not even REMOTELY close... :-)

Until you've seen that part of the world, one cannot even BEGIN to picture what it's like down there, the harshness of that environment... The notion of sailing across the Scotia Sea in a vessel like that, then traversing the interior of South Georgia, finding the whaling station at Stromness, it simply boggles the mind...

The most amazing story of survival I've ever known, and 'The Boss' was unquestionably one of the greatest leaders of men who ever lived...

Faster and downeast450 like this.