Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005

tauras is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

Purchased another boat in Conn and need to take her to the keys. This trip is one of those trips that time is of the essence.
Is traveling to Burmuda and then to Nassau the fastest way? If so, when is the best time
to leave the east coast and from where? I need to have her in Marathon sometime in Aug.
Oh by the way Jeff, I was in Conn two weeks ago and just by accident I found an old schooner in wonderful condition and purchased her on the spot. Had her surveyed and hauled and have no major problems to deal with, so I purchased her. My dream came true to have a flashy top gaff schooner at a
reasonable price. When I get a chance I will
post a picture of her. She''s only 42 feet with a 9''6" beam and a 7'' draft but what a head turner.
Tauras
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

Whoa! Can the 1500 miles to Bermuda and then to nassua be quicker than the ICW? I have no idea, but would like to hear the answer from those who have done it.
Old 05-12-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

T, I32 and the group:

"Is traveling to Burmuda and then to Nassau the fastest way? If so, when is the best time
to leave the east coast and from where? I need to have her in Marathon sometime in Aug."

We can of course see it coming, can''t we. The press of time, a ''must be there by Aug'' timetable, no acknowledgement of the hurricane season...oh, my...

Does ''fastest'' to you mean fewest # of days, e.g. if perhaps you must do the delivery with time off from a work commitment? Then quite possibly the CT-St. Georges and SG-FL legs will be "faster" than the ICW or coastal routes, given a deep draft wooden schooner that may motor slowly and need to wait the tide in a few spots in the ICW due to its 7'' draft. A problem with a (new to you) engine will extend the time further. But this presumes some things that make me uncomfortable:
1. Two offshore legs in a boat not yet well known, and a wooden boat to boot
2. Flirting with the first portion of the summer storm season (and where Bermuda BTW seems to have a history of early storms; check the Pilot Chart storm tracks for May & June)
3. Where will the crew come from?

I''m not sure what your motivation is to approach the Keys via Nassau, which then forces you across the shallow GB Bank and presents you with a $300 entrance fee to boot. If you''re game for two ocean legs, wouldn''t it be more sensible to close the FL coast N of the Little Bahama Bank, cross the Stream to W Palm, and then ride inside the Stream down the coast to Key Vaca?

I make Narrangansett Bay-St. G''s Hbr a bit less than 700 NM and the run down to W Palm from St. G''s not quite 900 NM; both these are rhumb line distances and will be exceeded by what you and the boat will be required to do. That''s a fair amount of at-sea exposure, *after* the departure f''cast has grown stale, during hurricane season. OTOH leaving soon will give you a better chance for a gale on the run out.

My choice would be selective legs down the East Coast, ducking into bolt holes as the weather dictated, and giving myself the time to do this even if it took a bit longer. Within the ''real world'' of options, my guess is that this might at day''s end be the faster and certainly the safer choice.

Jack
Old 05-15-2005

kimberlt is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

i would go to bermuda. it should only take about 4 days and then another 4-5 days to
florida.
just look out for loose cruise ships in St Georges harbor.
fair winds,
eric
Old 05-16-2005

tauras is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

Jack You are right in some ways but Kimberlt is also. My schedule is not so tight that I can''t waite for the weather to clear. I asked many of those in Conn that sail south to the Caribbean and they say go through
Burmuda. I just wanted to get a view point from someone other than those in Conn.
My new old schooner is beautiful. She is in great shape and ready to go. I think we will leave in late june or early july. Thanks all for your input.
Tauras
Old 05-16-2005

kimberlt is on a distinguished road
burmuda crossing

I suggested to stop in Bermuda. My only thinking on that subject was that you will probably need diesel, food, and water.
in my last 2 boats i had to stop at bermuda on the way to the caribbean from new york. on my current boat i have enough range, 1700 miles on motor, 40 gphour watermaker, and 2 freezers to make the passage non stop.
i have done this 12 times.
if you do have sufficient capacity skip bermuda and go straight to the keys.
do you have a SSB radio?
fair winds,
eric

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.