Join Date: Jul 2002
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 13
T, I32 and the group:
"Is traveling to Burmuda and then to Nassau the fastest way? If so, when is the best time
to leave the east coast and from where? I need to have her in Marathon sometime in Aug."
We can of course see it coming, can''t we. The press of time, a ''must be there by Aug'' timetable, no acknowledgement of the hurricane season...oh, my...
Does ''fastest'' to you mean fewest # of days, e.g. if perhaps you must do the delivery with time off from a work commitment? Then quite possibly the CT-St. Georges and SG-FL legs will be "faster" than the ICW or coastal routes, given a deep draft wooden schooner that may motor slowly and need to wait the tide in a few spots in the ICW due to its 7'' draft. A problem with a (new to you) engine will extend the time further. But this presumes some things that make me uncomfortable:
1. Two offshore legs in a boat not yet well known, and a wooden boat to boot
2. Flirting with the first portion of the summer storm season (and where Bermuda BTW seems to have a history of early storms; check the Pilot Chart storm tracks for May & June)
3. Where will the crew come from?
I''m not sure what your motivation is to approach the Keys via Nassau, which then forces you across the shallow GB Bank and presents you with a $300 entrance fee to boot. If you''re game for two ocean legs, wouldn''t it be more sensible to close the FL coast N of the Little Bahama Bank, cross the Stream to W Palm, and then ride inside the Stream down the coast to Key Vaca?
I make Narrangansett Bay-St. G''s Hbr a bit less than 700 NM and the run down to W Palm from St. G''s not quite 900 NM; both these are rhumb line distances and will be exceeded by what you and the boat will be required to do. That''s a fair amount of at-sea exposure, *after* the departure f''cast has grown stale, during hurricane season. OTOH leaving soon will give you a better chance for a gale on the run out.
My choice would be selective legs down the East Coast, ducking into bolt holes as the weather dictated, and giving myself the time to do this even if it took a bit longer. Within the ''real world'' of options, my guess is that this might at day''s end be the faster and certainly the safer choice.