Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Step off the cliff and a net will appear

Censorship America ???
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 01-10-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014

sealover is on a distinguished road
Re: Step off the cliff and a net will appear

Shut up and go already! (Hoping that's the motivation you seek)

You've already put more thought into this than many people who have done what you want to do and lived through it.
barefootnavigator likes this.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 01-10-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I always like to think of the edge of my deck as representing the top of a 1,000 foot precipice, and my lifelines as being charged with 600V of electricity. I figure such a mindset is my best shot at staying aboard, so Thanks, but no thanks, I don't think I'll try stepping overboard anytime soon some night offshore, hoping some New Age Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy is gonna catch me before I make a splash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
What about those who ran out of money but chose to continue on?
Damn, I'd love to how one manages to do that :-) All the 'cruisers' I've seen that were broke, weren't going anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I recently posted a thread titled voyaging on $500.00 a month. I was looking for like minded voyagers who chose a slightly riskier approach to voyaging rather than let fear of the unknown keep them changed to the dock. It has been a fun thread but overwhelmed with people pushing their fears on the few of us willing ready and able to make an honest attempt at being self sufficient, working when we need to and going with less from time to time but still cutting the dock lines.
You know, as far as I can tell, you haven't gone much of anywhere under sail, so far... So, I'd suggest you lighten up a bit on some of your judgments about what might be keeping others "chained to their docks"... I don't see anyone "pushing their fears" in this thread. Many of us might simply have no desire to cruise on a 22' boat, and going without an engine is not an option for myself, and many others. If that works for you, great... however, your insinuation that your particular choices make you somehow more "self-sufficient" than anyone else here seems pretty damn smug...

I see others in this thread dealing with the REALITY of their lives and responsibilities, and adding up REAL numbers that apply to them... Not everyone posting here, instead of being out there, is doing so because they are AFRAID of taking off... Living aboard and voyaging full-time is not necessarily the be-all and end-all for everyone posting to this thread, nor do most of us likely embrace the delusional notion that if we step off a cliff, some safety net will be magically cast to arrest our fall...
Tim R., DJR351, capta and 3 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonEisberg For This Useful Post:
PalmettoSailor (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I don't think I've ever met anyone actually cruising who was 100% done with every project that needed doing, before they left. We sail every day with a list of things that need doing.
But, as for a net appearing; it's not too likely, so one should make certain that the jobs that aren't done are not critical to the voyage planned.
The only people I've ever met whose boats are perfect, are those who have them professionally maintained and use their boats very, very little.
"Damn, I'd love to how one manages to do that :-) All the 'cruisers' I've seen that were broke, weren't going anywhere..." Amen to that, Jon.
Old 01-10-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Boys and boys... I've removed a few posts above, let's not let this devolve into a name-calling slugfest.

Barefoot.. let's keep this civil.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

Been there, done that, don't have to anymore, don't want to anymore, but you go and have fun. I'll be in the best restaurant in the harbor, check please, peace out.
capta likes this.
Old 01-10-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

"Step off the cliff and a net will appear"

Only if you are incredibly lucky.

It seems that for you leaving the dock and sail away is your ultimate goal even if you have to do it on a 22ft boat without engine, no insurance, no health care plan and probably not enough money to keep cruising.

That's OK, for me and it seems for all here and maybe that net will appear when you need it, maybe not.

You seem to consider that your objective is the prime objective of all that sail and like sailing or cruising, I mean to live in a boat and sail away and that the only reason that all the others don't do it's because they are afraid or have not the conditions to do it.

I would say that for many the more important thing in life is to have a family, to have and raise kids, to fit in society in a useful and contributory way....and to sail. Many of us could live full time in a boat if we wanted to. We chose not to because that's not what we want, not because we are afraid.

That does not mean that we like less to sail or to cruise than you, just that we like it in a different way and are not interested in the life style you seem to have chosen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2014

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road

To PCP's Post:

Amen!
Old 01-11-2014

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Dude - I've been reading your blog for a long time now - at least a year. Maybe it is time for you to go back and re-read what you have written. The majority of it is how "back in the day" you were a big financial success, knowing this person or that person. But apparently you have "dropped out" of the working class and now have to scavenge, or borrow, or have someone give you stuff in order to keep yourself going. Is that an existence? And to make yourself feel better about it you are now saying that anyone else who doesn't follow what you are doing are losers. Think about that. The folks on this board, and many others, are hard working folks who "are" living out their dreams - everyone has different dreams. It may not be your dream of sailing off into the big blue yonder, without a penny to your name, living off others...I mean the kindness of others. Most folks are self sufficient in boating because they've worked hard and earned the money to make it that way...they didn't drop out of the working class. My recommendation or advise (and you know what you can do with advise) is for you to actually get a job, like everyone else and build up that Cruise Kitty....then you'll go, be self-sufficient and not have to live off of others....I mean the kindness of others.

Also - when most folks know their limitations...as in, they know they can only afford a certain boat, etc...they enjoy that boat and have fun with it, they get off the dock and they go as far as they can. It may only be on a small lake, doesn't matter. They have what they paid for and they Make fun for themselves and others. They don't whine about what was, what could be, what is....they just go out there and do it and enjoy it. So go and have fun!!

Happy seas and fair winds to you. May it end up being everything you had wished for!!

Oh, and p.s. the only Net I ever had was the one I built...I'm just not the type to Step off a cliff and expect there to be a Net to catch me. I had my Net with me Before I stepped off the cliff. Just sayin'

Last edited by Magnolia; 01-11-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Just get a job.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 01-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.