SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising home/base/marina ICW question

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Izabella01 
#1 ·
hi
here the question. I am looking to go crusing sometimes in the next 10 years ....

we currently have a J 30 which we intend to cruise the first couple of years and than get a bigger boat.

I like the idea of having a base / homeport, either to continue to work there, during the summer , and maybe rent over the winter months, ( while we are cruisng )

Punta Gorda is way to expensive ( sailboat access ) and a little to snobby as well...
I am looking for the secret place to go . doesnt need to have boat on property ( would be nice. but $$$$ ) a good affordable marina nearby ( close distance ) however is needed.

Dont hold back with ideas. Even as far back inland as lake ocechobee ????

brings me to the second question, can you traverse Florida on the ICW with the mast up ? ( 49 feet ) Is Lake okechobee to shallow for our 5.3 draft boat ? ??

Ok bring it on, I want to hear the best places to look
Thanks Thor

See less See more
#2 ·
Thor,
Ay low tide you should be able to pass under any bridge in the ICW from Texas to Florida. I would reccommend buying the Pilot Chart book for the ICW, however. Also, if you''re looking at other possibilities other than Florida, check out Bear Point Marina on the ICW in Orange Beach, Alabama. Great live-aboard invironment, not extreme of slip fees, and close to both Orange Beach and Gulfshores. We enjoyed it there for 3 months before moving on. Sorry, but can''t help with Florida that much, just what I read in the guide book, because it passed it all up. We left the US via Pensacola Pass to Isla Mujeres, Mexico Feb. 2004.
Maybe other have more info for you.
Fair winds,
Christal

#3 ·
no not all bridges on the icw.
the julia tuttle causeway is to short for the 60 foot mast of the catalina 400.

as for The Lake. There is a 45 foot railroad bridge at the eastern end/entrance.
there are two ways to cross the lake, plus several locks on the western side.
you can do the southern rim or straight across the lake.
be forewarned...the across the lake route needs to have accurtate gps input.
I have done both and much prefer the southern rim route so i can anchor at night and take my time.

otoh you can go south down the icw and jump off for either key west or marathon from naples or marco or further south.

Naples to key west is an overnighter in good weather. Done that several times in my ericson 27.

might want to purchase ''anchorages of southwest florida'''' its a great reference book to have.
there is also a great book of the florida keys for cruising. not the one by claiborne/stimetz..this one is a small volume, great photos.

good luck
izabella

#4 ·
forgot to mention Cortez Cove Marina, bradenton beach marina, or seafood shack all around corez/bradenton beach fla.

Price is all relative.
slip fees average from $10-18per foot per month.
I have found many marinas are snobbish towards smaller boats for some odd reason.. oh well..thier problem not mine.
I am currently in a marina on the patapsco river [baltimore] that limits the boat size to 32 feet and under.. nice place, no liveaboards though. I live at my studio, amid the paint pots..

I spent most of jan and feb around the west coast moving a catalina 400 to fort lauderdale.. if i can help with some of the cruising grounds give me a shout
email is kosmikbubbles@gmail.com
izabella

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.