SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cold water survival

4K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  krisscross 
#1 ·
I had a pretty close call yesterday. I went out kayaking on an inland lake here in North Carolina. I recently bought a C-1 kayak and was eager to try it out. C-1 kayaks are relatively short, very nimble kayaks where you sit kind of on your buns and knees. It was my first time in a C-1 but I am a somewhat experienced kayaker and stand up paddler so I thought I can handle it. Kayak was rated to 200 lbs, I'm 175 plus maybe 5 lbs of clothes and gear. It was windy (10-15 mph) and there were small waves (less than a foot) on the lake. Water temp. 43F. Air temperature 52F.
I sail my dinghy in these conditions quite often, so I could have been sailing, not kayaking.
I launched from the pier and was paddling in a more sheltered area close to the pier to get the feel for the kayak. The way you sit in a C-1 gives you high center of gravity and a lot of windage. I was paddling for maybe 5-10 minutes when a sudden wave and a gust of wind tipped me over. I was not expecting this but I was not panicking as I was only 150-200 feet from the bank. Initially I was trying to get back on the kayak but it was hopeless. I was quickly losing strength (mistake #1). So I started swimming towards the shore pushing the overturned kayak in front of me. I had a life vest but I thought that the floating kayak gave me extra help but it was only slowing me down (mistake #2). I saw that I was not moving towards the shore and that water was draining my energy at a frightening pace. I let the kayak go and started swimming hard for the shore. Let me tell you... it was really hard. Initially i was doing breast stroke but the vest was getting in the way and almost choking me as I had no crotch strap (mistake #3). I flipped over and switched to breast stroke. That gave me a bit more speed. Finally I reached shallow water at the shore. But I could not walk. My legs were too weak. They were like rubber. I crawled out on the bank, got the vest off, got the jacket off. Some guy walking his dog saw me in the water and called 911. By the time I had my legs back they were still talking to him trying to establish whether it was a real emergency or not. I told him to cancel the call. Had to repeat that 3 times to make sure it was for real. I walked to my truck, took off all the wet clothes, changed into a dry set. Pulled the truck to the ramp. Picked up my kayak and paddle that by now washed on the shore (lucky for me it was an onshore wind) and went home. Shaken to the core but alive, thank God.

See less See more
#2 ·
Time for analysis.
My original mistakes:
1. Testing a new toy in the cold water.
2. Not wearing a wet suit. In the winter I usually sail in my wet suit but this was supposed to be a short adventure and the wet suit hampers paddling quite a bit. Still, that was probably the biggest mistake I have made.
3. Going alone.

Plus the mistakes I listed above.
Any others? Let me have it. I deserve it.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow. I'm glad it worked out. You already know most of this but for any others...

a. Dingy sailors and kayakers have a saying that your "dress for the water temperature." Though I may not wear a wet or dry suit every time (I frequently do), I always dress in something that will hold heat in the water. Bindblocker fleece, tight Goretex pants with tight cuffs, and a paddling jacket with tight cuffs are usual. Water still gets in, and it's cold, but not quickly debilitating.

b. A proper paddling jacket does not ride up and is not too bad to swim in; kayakers wouldn't accept anything that rode up. I think you may need to retire the one you have. Or is it possible it was just way too loose?

c. Going alone. I don't have a problem with that. However, it does raise the stakes and require complete preparation, like any solo water or mountain activity.

d. Practice self-rescue (getting back into the boat). Practice in waves. I'm not sure about a C1--perhaps it's impossible--and if so, you need to know that. Most kayaks it is quite possible, though the degree of difficult varies widely. In cold water, self-rescue has to be bullet proof.

e. ALWAYS carry something to bail. A full kayak is VERY difficult to swim with, and it must be emptied before you can self-rescue.

I've been in water with ice a number of times, but properly dressed, it was only unpleasant. I'm lazy about PFDs in the summer, but in the winter it is properly fitted.

#4 ·
Yes, I probably need a better pfd jacket for kayaking. The primary mistakes with my pfd were: 1. jacket not tight enough (only one strap was properly buckled). 2. Crotch strap was not on (that is not always comfortable for kayaking).
Once you are in a cold drink any adjustments are almost impossible.
My idea was not so much to get back in the kayak but to lay on top of it to minimize cold water exposure and get to shore faster. I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to do that. I was very clumsy in all this wet gear and C-1 is almost like a log to climb on.

#5 ·
Kudos krisskross for posting your experience. I'm happy that you can.

I used to keep my kayak on my car so I could stop at the local lake on my way home from work. Even though I planned only a short paddle I always let someone know where I was going and when I expected to get off the water. An abbreviated float plan in case something happened. Sometimes it was an email home, sometimes a sticky on the fridge before I left in the morning.

Reactions: krisscross
#6 ·
Yes, notifying others when going on a solo trip is always good.
The two biggest surprises for me were:
1. how quickly you lose strength in cold water. I was in the water for about 15 minutes, 20 at the most and when I got to shore I was totally spent. My legs were like jelly.
2. How hard it is to swim to shore in cold water with all the gear on. I had my wet suit boots on so at least they were not clumsy. The windbreaker jacket I had under the pfd was very snug and once it got wet it was restricting my arm movement a lot.

#8 ·
Yes, notifying others when going on a solo trip is always good.
The two biggest surprises for me were:
1. how quickly you lose strength in cold water. I was in the water for about 15 minutes, 20 at the most and when I got to shore I was totally spent. My legs were like jelly. ...
One of my pet peeves are books and instructors who trot out charts that say "you'll become hypothermic in X amount of time in X temperature water" when there are so many other variables involved. My fear is that too many people look at those charts as the rule rather than a guideline. Other factors include your overall health (I have mild Raynaud's so it will happen more quickly), whether and when you've eaten, whether you've had alcohol, how much body fat you carry, etc. A skinny adult may succumb before a really fat child yet I see books that say children will get hypothermia faster than an adult, period. There are no absolutes.

#7 ·
Good postings, Kriss.. 'obvious' lessons relearned and you may have prevented someone else from having to 'learn' them again.

Like Donna, glad you could post and that you weren't subject of a 'News Feed' thread...

#9 ·
Like Donna, glad you could post and that you weren't subject of a 'News Feed' thread...
No kidding... When I was in the water initially, I was thinking "this is not too bad, at least I'm close to the shore". But after 10 minutes in the drink I started having pretty dark thoughts.

#12 ·
Thanks for the reminder. It reminds me of motorcycling( dress for the crash). I dumped a canoe in a spring race in Maine 20 years ago and even though I had tons of military water survival training I was shocked at how fast I became immobile. Your cautionary tale may well save a fellow sailor. Al:)

#25 ·
krisscross, glad you made it back to shore. I went out with a friend on his interclub (2 person dinghy) yesterday, and we managed to flip her. Fortunately, I was wearing a drysuit and life vest. Water and air were both in the 40's, and I was completely comfortable in the water. If you're going to go out in the winter, I strongly recommend a drysuit. They're not really that bulky, and going in the water is totally fine, as opposed to immediately life-threatening.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Glad you made it in! Wow, scary.

A couple summers ago we tried "distance" swimming while on a charter in the 50ºF water of Lake Superior. I made it three laps around the boat before I was starting to tire, and I felt a little wobbly climbing the swim ladder. It was a 39' boat, so I swam maybe 300'.

It really is surprising how quickly cold water saps your strength.

#30 ·
It was a 39' boat, so I swam maybe 300'.

It really is surprising how quickly cold water saps your strength.
When the kayak capsized I thought that I can make it to the shore without a problem. After all it was less than 200 feet. But the clothes and vest combined with cold water made a big difference. I was truly surprised how slow I was moving. I made several test swims in my clothes and life jackets before, but they were all in warm waters. My fingers got numb really fast and I could not adjust the straps to prevent the vest from riding up. By the time I got to the shore I could not feel them. It took me about a minute to unbuckle the one strap I had on. I did not feel where the snaps were, could not push them in. I'm glad the air was relatively warm so the feeling in my fingers came back quickly. Same with my legs. I was able to walk in less than 5 minutes. I actually felt warm even in my wet clothes but I knew I had to change fast.

#28 ·
Glad you made it ok.

I have been involved with many water sports(kayaking, windsurfing, scuba diving). The general rule is to dress for the worst conditions you may encounter. I even wear a wetsuit shorty while diving in the Caribbean and I am very comfortable in colder water. My wife and I swim in Maine water in the summer which ranges from 60° to 75°.

#29 ·
I did rescue dive training when I was in college off the coast of NJ in late September (water temps in the 60's). "All" I had to do was pull a wetsuit-clad diver from outside the surf zone onto the beach after taking off his gear. We were MAYBE 100 yards from the beach, and I was a distance swimmer and (pool) lifeguard trainer, so I figured it would be a piece of cake. When we got to the beach, the "victim" was in shallow water, and my legs were so tired, I couldn't stand up. I had to crawl on my knees just to bring him up high enough to keep him out of the small waves. I was really amazed at how quickly my energy was sapped by that experience, and that was while wearing a wetsuit. I can't imagine trying to push/pull a waterlogged kayak through even colder, rough water. As others have said, I'm glad you survived and were able to tell us this story first-hand.

#33 ·
Quick drying hiking pants are my choice. They also take up very little space in my bag.

#34 ·
Krisskross,
i used to do alot of white water kayaking and kayak surfing in cold weather. Spring flood class 5 and surfing in the fall (Oct/Nov) when the weather would turn and the winds would howl out of the northwest (great surf).

Being somewhat acclimated to the cold water does help to a certain degree. I know that sounds crazy; but, a lot of people go into a panic mode when they hit the water. I'm not saying that you did. It is a natural response when faced with a "shocking" experience. I actually used to think 50 degree water was refreshing.

I used to wear a dry top and bottoms (and booties) made for whitewater with thermals underneath. HUGE difference. By the way for those that would like some dry gear that won't break the bank check out whitewater kayaking gear. Serious winter kayaking is in a drysuit only.

For kayaking you need a kayaking PFD. As you have learned, a regular PFD could be the death of you! I actually sail with mine on normally as it is far more comfortable.

I have since stopped whatewater/surfing kayaking after to many perlious endings. I stick to the lake now. Much quieter.

Don't try this at home.

#35 ·
Being somewhat acclimated to the cold water does help to a certain degree. I know that sounds crazy; but, a lot of people go into a panic mode when they hit the water. I'm not saying that you did. It is a natural response when faced with a "shocking" experience. I actually used to think 50 degree water was refreshing.

I used to wear a dry top and bottoms (and booties) made for whitewater with thermals underneath. HUGE difference. By the way for those that would like some dry gear that won't break the bank check out whitewater kayaking gear. Serious winter kayaking is in a drysuit only.

For kayaking you need a kayaking PFD. As you have learned, a regular PFD could be the death of you! I actually sail with mine on normally as it is far more comfortable.
Yes, these are all really good points, thank you. When I kayak or paddle board in my wet suit I have to watch for chafe, even when wearing anti-chafe undies. Very rough on the nipples (that is also my original reason not to wear my life vest very snug). It is hard for me to spend a grand on a kayaking dry suit but I think that would be money well spent.
What kind of pfd would you recommend?

#39 ·
Something that will keep you cool in warm weather and give you plenty of upper body mobility. I recommend going to a REAL kayaking store and trying one on.
I got my current vest at REM, which is one of the few kayaking stores in my area. Paid almost $100 for it. This vest is not bad for wearing in the hot weather but without a crotch strap (which I have but were not using at the time) or being strapped tight, it rides up when you are swimming in it. I'm not sure if it is an easy problem to solve without a crotch strap. I use the crotch strap when sailing but when I'm paddling the strap tends to give me a wedgie. :eek:

#40 ·
Glad you made it out, but I'm confused.
A C-1 is a Canoe, 1-man. It is open, it is not a Kayak. A K-1 is a 1-man Kayak. Neither one is a "sityak", which is often called an "open kayak" an anathema that should just be called what it is, a paddleboard with a seating surface.

In a canoe, when you dump it fills. In a kayak, the decking is closed, and you *should* be using a spray skirt, so that you are installed like a stopper in a bottle neck. When you dump in a kayak, you're supposed to trained to do an 'eskimo roll' and simply keep rolling over until you've done a 360 and are upright again. And because of the spray skirt, the kayak will not and does not flood normally. So your survival in icy water is way more likely than it would be in an open canoe.

Either way, having been diving in wet suit and dry in icy waters, brrrgh!

PFDs don't help you in that kind of water. Your diaphragm muscles still freeze. Then you stop breathing and you suffocate instead of drowning. The PFD just makes it faster for the poor SOB who is trying to recover your body and get back home before dinner. No matter which numbers you use on the freezing charts.

Something to think about.

#43 ·
In a canoe, when you dump it fills. In a kayak, the decking is closed, and you *should* be using a spray skirt, so that you are installed like a stopper in a bottle neck. When you dump in a kayak, you're supposed to trained to do an 'eskimo roll' and simply keep rolling over until you've done a 360 and are upright again. And because of the spray skirt, the kayak will not and does not flood normally. So your survival in icy water is way more likely than it would be in an open canoe.
In order to do the 'roll' you have to be strapped in and have a skirt. Because I don't have that kind of skill, I was hoping not to roll it on the lake. Rolling is mostly a river rapids thing. Being strapped in and covered by the skirt makes getting out of the C-1 near impossible.
I just need to practice more in warm water :cool:

#46 ·
I can get into our (dry) kayak over the stern and pull myself on top, then into the seat. Don't know how well that would go if the kayak was semi flooded.

#52 ·
In order to do the 'roll' you have to be strapped in and have a skirt. Because I don't have that kind of skill, I was hoping not to roll it on the lake. Rolling is mostly a river rapids thing. Being strapped in and covered by the skirt makes getting out of the C-1 near impossible.
I just need to practice more in warm water
Krisskross that's one old school perception. Back when they made real kayaks. I have a creeker that is silimiliar to that.
The spray skirt will hold you in; possibly to your death if you don't know how to get out. If you really do kneel in that kayak, then sell it and get a sit in. Tons more stability and easier to roll.

Rolling is anywhere thing. Not just rapids.

Practise makes perfect, find a local instructor as well. HUGE help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.