Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
sculling....wow

well, i have been considering building a chinese sculling oar, a yuloh, for my cal 27; either in addition to a motor or instead of one. i have never actually sculled, before. like every dinghy sailor i have semi-sculled with my rudder, from time to time. but, i've never sculled with an oar. while ssailing the 9' dinghy, troday, i had about 15 minutes of dead calm, between the morning's 5mph winds and the afternoon's 12 to 15 mph winds. so, i decided to try sculing. i left my oar in it's regular oar lock, rather than trying to put it over the transom. i used the falling leaf type of horizontal sculling....and i was amazed. it wasn't hard to keep the boat going straight, even though the oar was very offset, by simply changing the angle of attack between 'strokes'. and, although i had 5'2" of oar on one side of the lock and only 10" of oar at my hand ( very bad leverage problem ), i used far less effort to scull the boat at a good pace than i would be to row.

and i was able to scull backwards, too. it was simple, although because my of leverage problem, it was harder than sculling forwards. i had problems keeping the oar in the water ( forwards the water holds the oar down. backwards it pushes it up ) and keeping tye proper angle of attack to scull straight. so, what i did was scull backwards with both oars. using a real sculling oar, closer to the center of the transom would be much easier. also, a yuloh would be much more efficient than my oars, to use for sculling.

everyone should try to scull and learn it. it's almost magical, how it works. kind of like sailing up wind.

so, a yuloh is in my future and, depending on costs, maybe a motor is not...at least for now.

i am going to build my yuloh and then practice sculling the cal backwards and forwards, in the slip, until i get good at it. then, i will practice sculling out of and into the slip. if i get good at that, straight sculling will be easy. that way, when i get the cal ready to sail, i will be good at sculling, too.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
Re: sculling....wow

Sounds great would keep the engine though there are times when you may need power and both hands at the same time for different tasks. (moofie will strike). What are you considering for the lock on the transom?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I have sculled many miles chasing ducks. Sculling a larger boat may work if you have lots of time to get out of the way of that ship bearing down on you. A motor may/can save your life.

Paul T
Old 01-13-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I've sculled quite a bit, on dinks and the like. It is the most effective way to move an inflatable in strong winds, especially from the front.
But I wouldn't want it as my only propulsion method, on any boat, unless I wanted to all my boating at the whim of mother nature.
I can just imagine sailing back to the marina after the wind has unexpectedly piped up to 25 to 30 knots and having to anchor outside for a couple of hours/days before it calms enough for me to scull into my slip. Not at all near the top of my list of "must do's".
Old 01-13-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I say go for it. I have been using a Yuloh for a year and a half and love it. It will make you a far better sailor. I still haven't perfected the mount but I'm close. Be very careful when entering the through way, I have come head to head with more than one guy leaving the slip under full throttle, it get very interesting.
http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...7/img_0418.jpg
Andrew65 likes this.

Old 01-13-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

"Our present yacht, Easy Go, is a 34' Junk Rigged Dory Schooner of Jay Benford design. She has no motor and relies entirely on wind, yuloh and kedge anchor for propulsion. We have found, through experimentation, that it is indeed possible to abandon the Internal Combustion Engine for an environmentally superior form of auxiliary propulsion."

Duckworks - The Easy Go Yuloh - Part One
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
captain jack (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sounds great would keep the engine though there are times when you may need power and both hands at the same time for different tasks. (moofie will strike). What are you considering for the lock on the transom?
there is no motor, at present.

either i will machine out a pin or i will use a bicycle trailer hitch. i have read that works well.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-13-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Mine has 3 forward speeds, as far as reverse we just shove it out of the slip same as we did when we were engine-less. Here is a mount I really like.
http://logofthe.files.wordpress.com/...1/img_1781.jpg

Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I have sculled many miles chasing ducks. Sculling a larger boat may work if you have lots of time to get out of the way of that ship bearing down on you. A motor may/can save your life.

Paul T
little chinese women scull large, heavy boats at a decent clip with a yuloh. i should be able to match the physical endurance....i hope!

i don't know about evading a big ship. i sail around the inner harbor, in my dinghy. there are some big ships and tugs, there. i keep my distance. the only way i see that being a real problem would be in poor visibility. no wind. can't see very far. yeah. a big boat might sneak up on me, then.

everyone says about a motor being a life saving device, yet there are a good number of folks that sail without them. i always have. i have been looking into a motor but a part of me really hates to go that route, after all of these years as a 'sailing purist'. but, then all the warnings people give me make me doubt my thoughts on that. it just seems to me that, during the age of sail, the waters were teaming with sailing vessels and other non motorized vessels and everyone got along without a motor. it makes me wonder if motors are really such a necessity or are humans just so used to our machines that we think we can't live without them.

1971 Cal 27

Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
But I wouldn't want it as my only propulsion method, on any boat, unless I wanted to all my boating at the whim of mother nature.
it won't be the only propulsion method. it's got sails, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I've sculled quite a bit, on dinks and the like. It is the most effective way to move an inflatable in strong winds, especially from the front.

I can just imagine sailing back to the marina after the wind has unexpectedly piped up to 25 to 30 knots and having to anchor outside for a couple of hours/days before it calms enough for me to scull into my slip. Not at all near the top of my list of "must do's".
but didn't you just contradict yourself? you said it's the most effective way to move an inflatable in strong winds, yet you wouldn't be able to use it to move a sailboat in strong winds? i would think the inflatable would give you more trouble, in strong winds, than a heavier sailboat. but, i could be wrong. it does happen once in a while. why, i remember this time i ewas wrong....when was that? ummm....1984 i believe.....

ahhhh i am in a happy mood. great day of sailing. rum at dinner. sometimes, life can be very good.

1971 Cal 27