Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road
Round the Island Walk

I am sure I am not alone on this forum when I say that I support the RNLI...

This year (in an attempt to continue to raise money for the RNLI) I will be walking around the Isle of Wight. To make it slightly tougher myself and one other sailor will be conducting the walk carrying all we need to survive for however long it takes. It is approximately 70 miles, we will be living on dried food and sleeping in bivvy bags.

Having sailed the route many times I am looking forward to seeing things from a different perspective. I am not a particularly experienced walker and at the moment the task seems quite daunting. I hope that we can average 20 - 25 miles a day; I will certainly be conducting a few training walks before July!

I have set up a Just Giving account: Peter Green is fundraising for RNLI - Royal National Lifeboat Institution

At this stage I would be VERY grateful for either some words of support, some words of advice or even better a small donation!

Many thanks,

Pete
Old 01-14-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Round the Island Walk

I'm not familiar with your cause, from this side of the pond, but hope you are successful.

A long march is all about your feet. Clean and dry, with properly fitting boots that have good support. Change your socks during the day. Some will rub a little lubricant between their toes to prevent blisters, I prefer powder on my entire foot. Best trick I ever learned was to wear an extremely thin pair of moisture wicking socks underneath your more padded hiking/boot socks. This way the socks rub together, before your toes or heel rub the sock causing blisters.

A good pair of hiking poles makes a huge difference as well.

All the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Halcyon1 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Round the Island Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not familiar with your cause, from this side of the pond, but hope you are successful.

A long march is all about your feet. Clean and dry, with properly fitting boots that have good support. Change your socks during the day. Some will rub a little lubricant between their toes to prevent blisters, I prefer powder on my entire foot. Best trick I ever learned was to wear an extremely thin pair of moisture wicking socks underneath your more padded hiking/boot socks. This way the socks rub together, before your toes or heel rub the sock causing blisters.

A good pair of hiking poles makes a huge difference as well.

All the best.
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

The RNLI are a much loved charity amongst us Brits...

The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea

Volunteer crew members go out in all conditions; we are very lucky to have this kind of rescue service in the UK.

Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.