Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By starcresttoo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005

Mkfcdl is on a distinguished road
Texas to Key West

I''m getting ready for a Texas to Key West trip to be made in the next few weeks with return one month later. I''m planning an offshore route and a near coastal return since H. season is getting close. My question is regarding the offshore passage in terms of route. I''m using the usual resources--pilots, Gulf stream data, Cornell, Calder, Van Sant, etc. I can''t find Calder''s Western Caribbean guide which I suspect is what I would really like to have. It kind of boils down to going south first then east or east first then south. I would really like to get to deep water early rather than stay on the choppy shallow shelf for half the trip.

If you''ve made such a trip in early summer, let me know your route. And Jack (Whoosh), please let me know your thoughts as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2005

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Texas to Key West

take I 10 east to I95,then go south all the way to US 1,be careful when you get to the keys as that road is very narrow and dangerous.should take 3 days max.
Silvio likes this.
Old 05-28-2005

Texas to Key West

Cute.
Old 05-28-2005

Texas to Key West

I am just being sarcastic.after sailing 15000 miles mostly single handed I wish you the best of times on whatever journey you take.
Old 05-29-2005

Texas to Key West

If you''ve ever crossed the Gulf of Mexico you''d know why I''m asking. The gulf stream currents can vary quickly and that''s spread over 5+ days of offshore passaging if sailing across (not coastal). And add to any weather situation the large breaking chop (10-15 ft) not swells that usually accompanies significant weather. I would take 25 ft swells with a long period any day over the 10 ft breaking chop with a short period that I see so often out in the Gulf. This isn''t the West coast--40 miles offshore it''s still barely 100 ft deep in many places. And no, I don''t have 15,000 miles single-handed yet, but I''ve got enough to know when to think ahead.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2005

Texas to Key West

basically I sailed from california to hawaii and back 3 times in boats ranging from 26 to 90 feet.my advice to you,seriously,is prepair for the worst.
Old 05-29-2005

Texas to Key West

I appreciate the helpful advice, Starcrest2. As a rule, I "prepare for the worst" every time I go offshore, which I do frequently, usually singlehanded. For me, I consider "offshore" to be more than 24 hours out of sight of land. However, my question was really one of route planning, as I haven''t done this particular crossing this time of year. Perhaps someone with Gulf crossing experience could respond.
Old 06-01-2005

tumbleweed35 is on a distinguished road
Texas to Key West

I have done this in late may-early june and this is one of the best times to go. Go south first and don''t tack untill you get almost to the yucatan. By the way, the gulf is choppy even in 12000 ft of water. Where are you leaving from? contact me and I''ll tell you everything I know
Old 04-19-2012

New Song is on a distinguished road
Re: Texas to Key West

Hi there. Shuffling through the web trying to look for spring/early summer passages East across the Gulf and came upon this old thread. Your response sounds like you could be of assistance. Anyway, I am planning a passage from Galveston to Key West on a 30' Catalac 9m with one other on board. I'd enjoy a dialog of your experiences.

This is my second crossing. The first crossing was the same route in early April. Wondering what I can expect later. And I am planning on heading south 150-200 miles and head straight there, again. Thanks in advance.

(Yes, this is my first post. Hello all. )
Old 04-19-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Texas to Key West

Hi Newsong and welcome to Sailnet. As you know the post you responded to is 5 years old. You probably are gonna get a bit of flack from some of the folks for resuscitating such an old post. I suggest you go to the General Discussion area and post a new thread asking your questions. You are likely to get more helpful responses that way.

Btw, we shoud be in the same waters in May, I will be in Key West late May then heading up to Miami.

Welcome aboard!