Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road
How do manage or prioritize your to do list?

Do you just keep an old fashion piece of pen and paper and cross it off as you go? Do you have an awesome xcel spreadsheet? Anyone out there using something like Microsft Project or is that overkill? You just finish every project before you start another so you dont have to have a list?

I remember reading something in a Don Casey book about he prioritized with a 3x3 grid but I forget what the details of each box were. I believe he divided it up by structural, cosmetic, and systems?

I just keep one MS Word document with each task listed as a heading then bullets underneath describing where I left off with the project, what I need to order or bring to the boat the next time. Some times there are a few weeks between visits to the boat for me so I often need a refresher.

I dont think theres any magic bullet, whatever works, but I'm curious what others are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: How do manage or prioritize your to do list?

I'm a list maker but unfortunately I like to try different methods of keeping my lists and never settle on any one. I have lists in MS Project, various iPad list apps, tables in Pages (iPad), composition books, legal pads.

I like making lists. I get bored with any one way of keeping them which in the end is not efficient at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-14-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Since we sail frequently, some items on the list will keep us from sailing, some, even though sailing gear related, won't, so sailing is the priority there.
Alternately, some items on the list will interfere with our day to day living aboard and others won't. For instance, if the cooling water pump for the fridge is going bad, it obviously won't keep us from sailing, but it will definitely interfere with the quality of our daily life. On the other hand, it may take months to repair the water heater (we live in the tropics).
Sometimes something comes up that pushes something we thought was very important, to a less important spot; it's all subjective and fluid.
General maintenance is on a schedule which will keep us from sailing, but something like a leaky hatch, which can't be repaired where we are, obviously won't.
Most of our to do lists are on post-its around the chart table. They get edited and superseded a lot. Some days we actually cross things off! Others, we prefer to go exploring ashore or snorkeling, after all, this is supposed to be fun, isn't it?
Old 01-14-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I use the notes feature on my iPhone. I prioritize based on stuff that keeps me from sailing, stuff that makes it comfortable/enjoyable for my family to come along with me, and then everything else.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-14-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I get a blank piece of paper and don't write any of my jobs to do on it. Then i screw it up and throw it overboard as a sacrifice to Neptune and then head to a bar.
Next day i check to see if he has fixed my boat yet.

Mark

Old 01-14-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

safety things play on my sleep so get done ASAP requiring no lists.
things to improve speed underway or ease of sailing are second. I'm reminded of them every time we get underway so they get done after research and planning and saving and again need no lists.
maintenances on schedule - lists to do and lists to maintain adequate spares
cosmetics - again reminded any time my eyes are open so no lists. Done when time/weather allows.
Keep folders in my emails so anytime I have email access on any device to do lists/projects are there.
Problem I'm having is I (for the first time )have a new boat. It has systems I have no prior experience with so I'm in the "you don't know what you don't know" group. It's like being a baby just starting to walk. You fall a lot. So far it's falls=x get ups= x+1. Just hope it stays that way. Sure keeps it interesting.
Old 01-14-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I keep a to-do list and a done list in OneNote. It lives on Skydrive and I can access it from desktop machines, phone, or tablet.

I keep a very rough estimate of costs accrued the same way, rounded to the nearest $100.

I also keep notes there that I might want to refer back to later. For instance I have all of my line lengths in a table. If I'm looking at line remnants I can easily check to see if that great deal on 7/16" XLS Extra will make a good new mainsheet for my boat.

This all sounds highly organized, but in reality it is a bit more chaotic. For instance there are multiple shopping lists on there, many of which aren't necessary anymore.

My racing dinghy is a 505 that I split with a friend. We keep a similar list but it is stored in a Google Docs Spreadsheet and has $$ spent per person on items that are on the list. For instance last week I bought a boat cover and that was added to the list. That way we have a running tally of who owes who how much $$. Occasionally we split buys or tools for the big boat as well, and that also ends up on the same spreadsheet.
Old 01-14-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I have a number of boats to maintain so for me a comprehensive list is pretty mandatory given limited time to work on them. I use an excell spreadsheet with the following columns: 1) priority (I rate this on a 1-10 scale) 2) boat, 3) date added 4) what's wrong 5) tools/parts needed for repair

As things get done I copy them to page 2 of the spreadsheet so I have a list of what has been done, and what parts were needed (it makes redoing something easier)

Every month the spreadsheet automatically bumps the priority number of an item up one, so a 1 becomes a 2 and so on. This keeps me from forgetting about something with a low priority number.

This list is shared between me and any partners/family that might also do work on the boat, so we can all see what needs to be done, and can all add to it as something comes up.

Then when I have the time I just start at the top of the list and work my way down.
Old 01-14-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

First I make it a safe boat, then I make it a comfortable boat, then I make it a pretty boat
awahl likes this.

Old 01-14-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I use a trusty perpetual waterproof graphite core calculator, capable of everything from calculus to poetry, and a stack of, unfortunately overlapping, steno pads! Eventually results get distilled into a spiral log record. Receipts are a helpful part of the lists.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 01-14-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.